Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Carrara 9????
Posted: 05 August 2012 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  435
Joined  2010-09-22
Kevin Sanderson - 05 August 2012 06:31 AM

I think you are off on the price, ManStan. It won’t be cheap, but it won’t be $300. And if you’re a PC member, it will be less as that’s how they roll. I’m guessing $69.

OKAY ILl pay the TOLL… NOW offer it before Dec 21 2012 so we could at least open a FILE before the end of the world PALEASE!

Posted: 05 August 2012 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1156
Joined  2004-11-07

I think you are off on the price, ManStan. It won’t be cheap, but it won’t be $300. And if you’re a PC member, it will be less as that’s how they roll. I’m guessing $69.

I think double that will be much closer. I just don’t see DAZ releasing a .5 update at $70 and losing money. I figured it would be $70, 6 months ago; had it then.

Posted: 05 August 2012 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  938
Joined  2006-06-12
ManStan - 05 August 2012 11:47 AM

I think double that will be much closer. I just don’t see DAZ releasing a .5 update at $70 and losing money. I figured it would be $70, 6 months ago; had it then.

I hate to say it, but Stan’s predictions DO tend to come to pass.
I think this one might be right.

C’mon Daz, prove Stan wrong.
We shall see…

Signature 

There is a serious tendency toward capitalism among the well-to-do peasants.
Mao Tse-Tung

Posted: 05 August 2012 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17109
Joined  2003-10-09

Including his oft spoken prediction that Daz would never change from installers to zips, but instead would have a steam type system ????

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 05 August 2012 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-07
chohole - 05 August 2012 01:41 PM

Including his oft spoken prediction that Daz would never change from installers to zips, but instead would have a steam type system ????

Yes, but that wasn’t based on speculation, it was based on a DAZ rep saying as much on a different forum wink

Posted: 05 August 2012 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  546
Joined  2003-10-09

He prolly said it to irritate you, ManStan, and the cranks over at Rendo. smile

Posted: 05 August 2012 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1874
Joined  2006-02-17
Kevin Sanderson - 05 August 2012 04:52 PM

Actually, it was listed as only one of many possible options under consideration.  As usual, some latched onto the least wanted (and least likely) option as if it were declared as the “Only True Way.”

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 05 August 2012 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-07

No.
But I am quite happy DAZ gave up on that notion; I hope. And very pleased DAZ is going to the no fuss, no muss zips.

Posted: 06 August 2012 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-07
Kendall Sears - 05 August 2012 05:15 PM

Actually, it was listed as only one of many possible options under consideration.  As usual, some latched onto the least wanted (and least likely) option as if it were declared as the “Only True Way.”

Kendall

That’s not the way I remember it.

Posted: 06 August 2012 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  232
Joined  2006-09-01

“One notable absentee from the line-up was Carrara, DAZ’s 3D modelling, rendering and animation software. Farr commented that Carrara 9 was expected to ship within the next month or two, and would be the first version of the software to support the company’s new Genesis line of 3D figures, introduced with DAZ Studio 4.”

Dan Farr in an interview in February here:

http://www.cgchannel.com/2012/02/daz-3d-why-we-gave-our-software-away-for-free/

Of course it’s obsolete, because of the “next mothh or two”, but the 9 number isn’t something Stan made up.

(Note that the interview was updated by DAZ some days later, but not on the C 9 “mistake”)

Posted: 06 August 2012 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1874
Joined  2006-02-17
Frank__ - 06 August 2012 05:18 PM

“One notable absentee from the line-up was Carrara, DAZ’s 3D modelling, rendering and animation software. Farr commented that Carrara 9 was expected to ship within the next month or two, and would be the first version of the software to support the company’s new Genesis line of 3D figures, introduced with DAZ Studio 4.”

Dan Farr in an interview in February here:

http://www.cgchannel.com/2012/02/daz-3d-why-we-gave-our-software-away-for-free/

Of course it’s obsolete, because of the “next mothh or two”, but the 9 number isn’t something Stan made up.

(Note that the interview was updated by DAZ some days later, but not on the C 9 “mistake”)

In all fairness, Dan was not quoted as saying “Carrara 9”, the author of the article stated that.  It could have been that Dan said “the next revision of Carrara” and the interviewer went 8+next=9 and printed that.  I’ll take what the DAZzers say over any forumite.  So long as the DAZ_ people are calling it 8.5, and the revisions show 8.5 in the “About” then it is 8.5.

I’m not saying that 8.5 won’t be eventually called C9, hell, I’ve seen Marketing Depts make the jump from Version 2.x to Version 7 (Sun Solaris) so we might even see this called Carrara 10, Carrara 2012, Carrara SuperDuper Pro Kendall, or whatever else the marketing folks come up with.  One cannot go with versioning as meaning anything anymore.  Once the marketers get the privilege of “numbering” the software, the meaning of versions/subversions/builds dies.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 06 August 2012 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  232
Joined  2006-09-01
Kendall Sears - 06 August 2012 05:35 PM

In all fairness, Dan was not quoted as saying “Carrara 9”, the author of the article stated that.  It could have been that Dan said “the next revision of Carrara” and the interviewer went 8+next=9 and printed that.  I’ll take what the DAZzers say over any forumite.  So long as the DAZ_ people are calling it 8.5, and the revisions show 8.5 in the “About” then it is 8.5.

I won’t going into an in-fight with you about what Dan Farr said and what the interviewer made up of it. I wasn’t there, I don’t care. But DAZ obviously re-read the interview and wanted it to be corrected on the part of disappointed users who paid for Studio 4 Pro. That’s   comprehensible, because it’s simply more important than some decision of a prog update called 8.5 or 9.0. They corrected the perception their decision could make to the outside, which is important for any business. And I’m all for it.

But Dan Farr, second in command, afaik, put the “bad” 9.0 word into the public. And we still have no voice of DAZ how much the 8.5 upgrade will cost. We have “reasonable” or something. Why shouldn’t DAZ come out with some numbers? They want us to use Genesis in Carrara: the 8.5 update should be free, because threre’s nothing more than revenue to DAZ for us buying Genesis stuff. Yeah, they put some fixes into it, too, especially for the Mac user. I’m no Mac user; I spent a lot on Genesis stuff (actually not so much; I wonder if it’s more than 500$, maybe some bucks more or less, I won’t do the math smile )

When DAZ came out with the Genesis-enabled-Carrara-Beta there was some talk of some small fee. I thought then: maybe 20$-30$  Acceptable. (Before they gave away a 400$ prog for free.) Now we are in a development cycle which exceeds mayor numbers, Carrara 9.0 should be there. With something more than Genesis support as an incentive to buy a mayor revision. Or release the point-5 update as something what it’s really is: long wanted bug-fixes for Mac-users and another platform to sell Genesis content, but nothng for what we to have pay for.

Posted: 07 August 2012 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1639
Joined  0

x.5 is generally a paid release with one or two “big” new features, but not enough work to justify a full version upgrade. In as much as giving away a $400 for free is a psychological gamble, so is the name of the upgrade…. I’m still assuming what we will be paying for is Genesis, which I still don’t want and probably won’t ever use… but by the time they get another version of C released for real the Genesis bundles will be on sale at ridiculous prices during the March Madness or similar. The longer the delay, the less that stuff is going to have any real dollar value at DAZ…

Sure we all wish DAZ would pull a “Statue of Liberty” play and suddenly have something awesome ( A NEW CAR!) behind the curtain, but they can’t even release a public beta without making it worse than the semi-public beta release before it…. I’m not DAZ bashing per-se…, but stretching out the development time is also stretching out any revenue that can be gained from Carrara sales. I haven’t fully supported Carrara since C8 came out—I was waiting for it to be finished, LOL, that was two years ago…

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

2 of 2