Luke and Laura for Genesis, Genesis Teen Renders

JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,063
edited December 1969 in The Commons

First I want to say Hey to all and welcome back to the Daz Forums Using my Sports Announcer Voice.

(Great Sports Announcer Voice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_md_8yg9faE)

I am curious to see how many people would like to see a Luke and Laura morph set for Genesis. For those who do not know Luke and Laura were or rather still are the Millennium Kids Young Teens. They were some really great products but did not get a lot of third party support.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/millennium-kids-young-teens

I have tried to get some nice Young Teens using the Genesis Morphs I have. But have not been satisfied with the the results. Mixing any of the Adult characters with the Mil Kid has not given me the results I am looking for. I would like some non toon characters

I would also like for this to be the first Render Thread of the new Forums but unfortunately the Re-size Image Function is not working. So if have some smaller images or links to some genesis renders that might fit the theme of Young Teen or Late teens please do post them if you please. I will also post some of mine as soon as they are ready to go on either Deviant Art or Renderosity.

Comments

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,081
    edited May 2012

TZORG actually has a Laura and Madison that she customized herself. But unfortunately, she knows that she can't properly configure them or sell them for business ownership reasons...

But yeah, either way, as much as I too would love to see it, I wouldn't hold my breath for it. DAZ made it clear that the lack of sufficient sales is what made them rethink making the Teens 4. Instead, all we get for Genesis is an intermediary shift between base character and the Basic Child Shape.

Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 1,551
    edited December 1969

I, for one, hope that they will reconsider at least enough to add the Luke, Laura, Matt and Maddie clone shapes to Autofit. There's a lot of really good kids clothes out there for them that I'd love to use on Genesis.

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,063
    edited December 1969

You know I thought a New version of David was a lost cause. Now we have the a Nice David Shape and the add on for Autofit plus the rest of the Gen3 Lineup.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 2,521
    edited December 1969

I would also like to see a new teen figure shape based on Luke and Laura. What I want most of all is the autofit for that shape so I can transfer some of the clothing.

• FixmypcmikeFixmypcmike Posts: 11,606
    edited December 1969

I'd like to see this as well. Unlike a whole new figure (as in Gen 3) or even a set of morphs for M4/V4, getting them as Genesis shapes with autofit clones means instant support for the shapes, as well as other Genesis shapes being able to use their clothes. I think the reception that the Gen 3 shapes for Genesis have received indicates how well these would be received.

• MurgatroydMurgatroyd Posts: 573
    edited December 1969

Instead, all we get for Genesis is an intermediary shift between base character and the Basic Child Shape.

I've found that AdamR's free proportion morphs (here), in combination with a mix of quite a few others (mostly, but not entirely, from the Evolution morphs) work much better for teens than the Child shape. Here's something I threw together a while back.

12-18.jpg
    600 x 435 - 49K
  • ThorneThorne Posts: 87
    edited May 2012

I am currently working on a "Basic Youth" set for Genesis which will include both a teen girl and teen boy shape. These have been in development for a while now and so should be surfacing in about another month, just finalizing some of the extra included morphs and the new texture sets, of which there will be one each for the boy and for the girl.

The boy will look much more boyish than in the preview below-- he just has a V4 texture in this image, because his isn't finished yet, but this shows the basic shapes. These have all new joint parameters and any Genesis clothing will fit them perfectly.

Soon. ;)

BY-Boy.jpg
    675 x 900 - 113K
    BY-Girl.jpg
    675 x 900 - 110K
    Post edited by Thorne on
    edited December 1969

Murgatroyd Those do look very nice thanks for the link and Thorne that looks like it is going to be a fantastic set.

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,768
    edited December 1969

I think MallenLane might be the one to petition about MilTeen and MilKids autofit clones and/or Genesis shapes. Even though he no longer works for DAZ, he seems to still have a relationship with them such that they would let him make and sell the clones. (And I think he made the original characters as well.)

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,248
    edited December 1969

I'd love to see Luke & Laura shapes for Genesis, and the teens you're working on look great, Thorne!

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 5,259
    edited December 1969

TZORG is a guy!

Love to see all the kids and teens from Gen 3 and 4 made, that way we can bring over the clothing too! I have Adzan's Butterbumble for the Gen 3 kids and would love to use them on Genesis! Cute set!

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 1,551
    edited December 1969

Those teens look great, Thorne.

Too bad they're not due out for a month, as I could use them about now. (I'm trying the June Camp NaNoWriMo, and about 1/3 of my core cast is under 16) Of course, I can always rework the artwork, so long as I keep the basic coloring. ;-)

• Cybersox13Cybersox13 Posts: 2,967
    edited December 1969

Toss my vote in for L&L as well, plus some of the other figs not yet supported. I, for one, have a LOT of stuff that was made for V1/V2 and M1/M2, and it would be nice to get direct support for mil-kids preteens.She Freak, Vitorio and the gen 3 mil baby..

edited May 2012

You know I thought a New version of David was a lost cause. Now we have the a Nice David Shape and the add on for Autofit plus the rest of the Gen3 Lineup.
    Well, the difference with David was that he was a popular character as, just like Stephanie to Victoria, he was a proportional alternative to Michael. However, like I said in the Stephanie 4 Genesis Shape thread, MallenLane explained to me in a PM one time when I ask about why there was no David 4, that he felt like there was no longer a need for David with all the morphs that Michael 4 had. Of course, I can't stress how much a beg to differ, but that's the unfortunate reality of the matter. I can only hope there is enough need in Genesis for a S5 as it would open the possibility for a D5.

RAMWolff said:
    TZORG is a guy!

Damn! Old Forum deceptive avatars are deceptive! Ahh, Forum psychology at its finest... :lol:

Toss my vote in for L&L as well, plus some of the other figs not yet supported. I, for one, have a LOT of stuff that was made for V1/V2 and M1/M2, and it would be nice to get direct support for mil-kids preteens.She Freak, Vitorio and the gen 3 mil baby..

Those are other figures I wouldn't wait around see either. Anything prior to Gen 3 and all the side Gen 3 characters (basically any thing that's not the main couples like Victoria & Michael, Stephanie & David, Aiko & Hiro, and Girl & Freak) is completely kicked to the crub . Though She-Freak is a DAZ Original and is a female counterpart to the Freak, DAZ also references her in the Victoria 5 description as something that we can customize for ourselves, indicating that any further official support for her is unnecessary.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 2,521
    edited December 1969

Thorne said:
    I am currently working on a "Basic Youth" set for Genesis which will include both a teen girl and teen boy shape. These have been in development for a while now and so should be surfacing in about another month, just finalizing some of the extra included morphs and the new texture sets, of which there will be one each for the boy and for the girl.

The boy will look much more boyish than in the preview below-- he just has a V4 texture in this image, because his isn't finished yet, but this shows the basic shapes. These have all new joint parameters and any Genesis clothing will fit them perfectly.

Soon. ;)

Looks terrific Thorne...: )

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 792
    edited December 1969

Thorne said:

Soon. ;)

This looks very good :) . It is somewhat manageable to get a decent teen shape with Genesis, but I am really looking forward to your product there, Thorne :)

edited December 1969

[Those are other figures I wouldn't wait around see either. Anything prior to Gen 3 and all the side Gen 3 characters (basically any thing that's not the main couples like Victoria & Michael, Stephanie & David, Aiko & Hiro, and Girl & Freak) is completely kicked to the crub . Though She-Freak is a DAZ Original and is a female counterpart to the Freak, DAZ also references her in the Victoria 5 description as something that we can customize for ourselves, indicating that any further official support for her is unnecessary.

I wouldn't bet on it. You have to remember a few things:

First and foremost, Daz runs on the Barbie model. They sell or give away a product cheaply and then make the money on the accessories, and the product that they are giving away now is Genesis. The more product they can sell for Genesis, therefore, the better.

Second, the store is still full of product for those figures, most of which are owned by Daz and many of which have never been duplicated in any of the following generations. Make those easily usable with Genesis and that's instant cash in hand for Daz.

The primary target for Daz right now is getting new buyers to enter the market, and while GenX is a Godsend for those wiling to take the time to learn and use it, it's the availability of the straight Gen 3 forms that makes the old Gen 3 costumes a new cash cow. After all, while it's been a huge boon for those of us with runtimes in the thousands of items, the real reason for those V3 blanks is to make it easier for newbies to use those older items with the new figures without having to use GenX or figure convertors.

So, all in all, a straight business analysis makes it fairly worthwhile for Daz to either create, or have outside vendors create, Genesis forms for as many old figures as they can. Sure, we're unlikely to see Emotiguy, and I'm not expecting any of it to happen immediately, but I imagine we'll start seeing a lot of third party figures showing up as Genesis forms eventually... things like Staci, Mayadoll and Sixius' stuff, for example.

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,248
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    TZORG is a guy!

Damn! Old Forum deceptive avatars are deceptive! Ahh, Forum psychology at its finest... :lol:

Contrary to my avatar, I am NOT (unfortunately) a golden retriever puppy with a Snoopy stuffed animal in my mouth. :lol:

Seriously, though, I know what you mean. A combination of screen names and avatars OFTEN has me guessing someone's gender wrong ;)

edited December 1969

I know, most think I'm a talking Wolffie.... Ooops, I am! ARF ARF ARF! :P

• HeatherleeaHeatherleea Posts: 247
    edited December 1969

Thorne those look really good, they will defintely fill a gap!

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 3,398
    edited December 1969

Thorne said:

Soon. ;)

Thank you kindly.

edited December 1969

[Those are other figures I wouldn't wait around see either. Anything prior to Gen 3 and all the side Gen 3 characters (basically any thing that's not the main couples like Victoria & Michael, Stephanie & David, Aiko & Hiro, and Girl & Freak) is completely kicked to the crub . Though She-Freak is a DAZ Original and is a female counterpart to the Freak, DAZ also references her in the Victoria 5 description as something that we can customize for ourselves, indicating that any further official support for her is unnecessary.

I wouldn't bet on it. You have to remember a few things:

First and foremost, Daz runs on the Barbie model. They sell or give away a product cheaply and then make the money on the accessories, and the product that they are giving away now is Genesis. The more product they can sell for Genesis, therefore, the better.

Second, the store is still full of product for those figures, most of which are owned by Daz and many of which have never been duplicated in any of the following generations. Make those easily usable with Genesis and that's instant cash in hand for Daz.

The primary target for Daz right now is getting new buyers to enter the market, and while GenX is a Godsend for those wiling to take the time to learn and use it, it's the availability of the straight Gen 3 forms that makes the old Gen 3 costumes a new cash cow. After all, while it's been a huge boon for those of us with runtimes in the thousands of items, the real reason for those V3 blanks is to make it easier for newbies to use those older items with the new figures without having to use GenX or figure convertors.

So, all in all, a straight business analysis makes it fairly worthwhile for Daz to either create, or have outside vendors create, Genesis forms for as many old figures as they can. Sure, we're unlikely to see Emotiguy, and I'm not expecting any of it to happen immediately, but I imagine we'll start seeing a lot of third party figures showing up as Genesis forms eventually... things like Staci, Mayadoll and Sixius' stuff, for example.

As true as all that is, if was the absolute case, then there would have been more support for the Millennium Kids, there would have been a David 4 and Teens 4 along with their range of support packs (Starter and Pro Bundles), the Gen 2 & 3 vaulting would have never occurred, the Stephanie 4 Genesis Shape wouldn't have been an exclusive bonus to those who bought the V4/M4 Shapes at release, etc. (I would also argue that DAZ would continue a strong rate of Gen 4 support for Poser users, but I will NOT open up that can of worms...)

DAZ is with no argument a company that wants to make money, absolutely. However, like any other company they only want to produce things that will sell. DAZ openly made the decision to discontinue any further generational support for characters like Lara & Luke because they didn't make that cut. The consumer interest and PA support for the Millennium Woman, Man and their iconic counterparts always out-shined the Child lines.

I know I always sound so pessimistic in these kinds of topics, I really do want to see the whole Millennium family continued to be fully supported, especially now that Genesis makes this all the more easier, however I also know that DAZ will only make moves that they know will make them the most money based on what will stick out more.

edited May 2012

As true as all that is, if was the absolute case, then there would have been more support for the Millennium Kids, there would have been a David 4 and Teens 4 along with their range of support packs (Starter and Pro Bundles), the Gen 2 & 3 vaulting would have never occurred, the Stephanie 4 Genesis Shape wouldn't have been an exclusive bonus to those who bought the V4/M4 Shapes at release, etc. (I would also argue that DAZ would continue a strong rate of Gen 4 support for Poser users, but I will NOT open up that can of worms...)

Except... that I rather think you're looking at it backwards. This is hardly the same as introducing a Gen 4 version of a character, where the fundamental problem with the gen 3 to gen 4 transition was that the gen 4 figures were entirely new figures that weren't compatible with anything prepared for gen 3. So to make Luke and Laura 4 would not just have have required vendors to go back and recreate appropriate clothes, but because everything in Gen 4 was a riff on either V4 or M4, each new "figure" added ALSO meant a large number of additional morphs that each vendor had to support for each new unimesh product they produced. So it was a catch 22 - the characters weren't popular enough to justify a lot of new product and without all the things those characters needed... like proper teen clothes in the case of Laura, as it would look a bit weird for her to go to school in a V4 Hot Dress or a Hot School Uniform ... those characters were never going to get that popular.

With Genesis, however, all those great Gen 3 clothes can be made to instantly work again, just by introducing basic blanks for Luke, Laura, etc.. That makes a huge library of product that Daz already has compatible with their new product... To go back to the Barbie anaology, the Gen 3 to Gen 4 transition was like when GI Joe went from being a 12" action figure to a 4". The brand name was the same, but there was almost nothing made for the one that could be used on any of the other. With the Gen 4 to Gen 5 transition, on the other hand, it's as if someone had made a shrinking ray so that all those 12" Joe accessories that Daz R Us has in the back room suddenly fit the new 4" Joes. It's basically found money for a very small investment.

And really, what I want, and what I think what most of us want when we say we want the mil kids blanks for Genesis isn't those characters, it's being able to use their clothes, shoes, hair and textures without having to use genX, a clothing convertor and a texture convertor first. Especially since a lot of the old Gen 3 and earlier clothing are the "boring, regular day to day" items that that trampy V4 never seemed to have in her closet.

Post edited by Cybersox13 on
  • ssgbryanssgbryan Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

Luke & Laura didn't sell well because DAZ released on average 1 outfit every 6 months. Most of them weren't very good, quite frankly. I purchased literally everything that was released here for them. I know of 1 outfit in particular that was wrapped up in an installer 6 months before it was released.

The "artists" here are only interested in making fantasy outfits and are aggressively uninterested in making anything else for the most part.

Luckily, I have wardrobe wizard & morphing clothes - I can easily convert any piece of clothing to fit them when necessary.

I do wish they had made Gen 4 versions. I would have snapped them right up.

As far as a Genesis version, well DAZ has to get it running on my computer first, I am not holding my breath.

• FlamewingFlamewing Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

First I want to say Hey to all and welcome back to the Daz Forums Using my Sports Announcer Voice.

(Great Sports Announcer Voice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_md_8yg9faE)

I am curious to see how many people would like to see a Luke and Laura morph set for Genesis. For those who do not know Luke and Laura were or rather still are the Millennium Kids Young Teens. They were some really great products but did not get a lot of third party support.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/millennium-kids-young-teens

I have tried to get some nice Young Teens using the Genesis Morphs I have. But have not been satisfied with the the results. Mixing any of the Adult characters with the Mil Kid has not given me the results I am looking for. I would like some non toon characters

I would also like for this to be the first Render Thread of the new Forums but unfortunately the Re-size Image Function is not working. So if have some smaller images or links to some genesis renders that might fit the theme of Young Teen or Late teens please do post them if you please. I will also post some of mine as soon as they are ready to go on either Deviant Art or Renderosity.

Here's my attempt at a pre-teen using Genesis & the Evolution morphs.

edited December 1969

With Genesis, however, all those great Gen 3 clothes can be made to instantly work again, just by introducing basic blanks for Luke, Laura, etc.. That makes a huge library of product that Daz already has compatible with their new product... To go back to the Barbie anaology, the Gen 3 to Gen 4 transition was like when GI Joe went from being a 12" action figure to a 4". The brand name was the same, but there was almost nothing made for the one that could be used on any of the other. With the Gen 4 to Gen 5 transition, on the other hand, it's as if someone had made a shrinking ray so that all those 12" Joe accessories that Daz R Us has in the back room suddenly fit the new 4" Joes. It's basically found money for a very small investment.

And really, what I want, and what I think what most of us want when we say we want the mil kids blanks for Genesis isn't those characters, it's being able to use their clothes, shoes, hair and textures without having to use genX, a clothing convertor and a texture convertor first. Especially since a lot of the old Gen 3 and earlier clothing are the "boring, regular day to day" items that that trampy V4 never seemed to have in her closet.

Well said! :-)

• FlamewingFlamewing Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Here is a couple new renders, trying to make a Genesis teen. Just using the Evolutionary morphs.

Genesis_Teen2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 243K
    Genesis_Teen.jpg
    600 x 600 - 188K
    edited December 1969

Thanks for all the posts and really nice renders

I have not been able to log on till just now

edited May 2012

Except... that I rather think you're looking at it backwards. This is hardly the same as introducing a Gen 4 version of a character, where the fundamental problem with the gen 3 to gen 4 transition was that the gen 4 figures were entirely new figures that weren't compatible with anything prepared for gen 3. So to make Luke and Laura 4 would not just have have required vendors to go back and recreate appropriate clothes, but because everything in Gen 4 was a riff on either V4 or M4, each new "figure" added ALSO meant a large number of additional morphs that each vendor had to support for each new unimesh product they produced. So it was a catch 22 - the characters weren't popular enough to justify a lot of new product and without all the things those characters needed... like proper teen clothes in the case of Laura, as it would look a bit weird for her to go to school in a V4 Hot Dress or a Hot School Uniform ... those characters were never going to get that popular.
    Assuming that Laura & Luke would have been Base Shapes for V4 & M4. I don't remember where, but I recall that some time after the release of the Kids 4 I read something briefly about the planned "Teens 4" to be Base Shapes for the Kids just as Aiko & Hiro and Girl & Freak were for Victoria & Michael respectively.

You kidding me? I LOVE my simple, everyday Gen 3 clothing! :lol:

edited December 1969

Flamewing said:
    Here is a couple new renders, trying to make a Genesis teen. Just using the Evolutionary morphs.

Those aren't bad, but yeah, the faces are WAY too mature looking. When I make teens I always add a blend of Stephanie and Aiko for girls and David and Hiro for boys.