Posted: 23 August 2012 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1829
Joined  2006-02-17
Male-M3dia - 23 August 2012 09:15 AM
Kendall Sears - 23 August 2012 08:27 AM
Male-M3dia - 23 August 2012 07:37 AM

Was playing around with Ashley M5 and wondered if this would be something anyone would want added in an update… may add in another body shape as well.

Absolutely!  I didn’t buy Ashley as he seemed too effeminate for the male characters I need to work with, however, this works extraordinarily well for a teen male.

Kendall

Ashley’s strength is the fact that he isn’t a strong male character like other M5s (or the M4s which he originally came from). And also he could be used as a younger male or teen character (Brady and Danny are the youngest ones used in conjunction with “body 01 young”.. .which is scaled much shorter than M5… just change out youthful hair and clothes and you got a younger character for your renders). He also can serve as a base for younger characters by mixing other morphs in as well. I played with mixing a portion of his morphs in with child and you get a much better child character because he doesn’t have the strong facial features you get when mixing in other male characters.

Also the body shape in the render above is the “body 01 young”... took a bit to take out a lot of M5’s muscularity.

Yes, that is definitely an advantage of Ashley.  However, most of the male characters I have to deal with are elderly, older “strong/hero” types, or young children (5-11).  With that said, I do have to start working with teen characters soon (mostly 16-21) and Ashley will do nicely.  When I have to make early twenty-somethings, I usually work from the Base Genesis Male since that tends to have softer features than M4 or 5.  Also, I tend to avoid textures that have “defining” characteristics like scars, moles, extreme freckling, etc.  I prefer to have a more “generic” texture base to which I add my own blemishes.

Teen girls are so much easier to portray, especially “modern” teens who use so much make-up to look older.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 23 August 2012 11:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10723
Joined  2007-11-06

...I’ve had pretty good results with `creating Teens preteens and even older adolescents with Gen4.  With the base V4 it was difficult to say the least, without relying on or creating custom morphs.  One method I used to get by the breast deformation issue was injecting the body of a Thorne Fey character like Perennial or Darla.

When Thorne released Tommi  it was a big step in the right direction for here was a character who was more like a real life teen than a fey creature. One still had to adjust the scaling, however I was able to push her to about a 12 year old (see fig.1 below)

However when Steph4 came (along, with the partial morphs, body shapes, and the NPM’s) she made creating teens, pre teens and even older adolescents (7 - 9 yrs), a reality just through use of the morph dials.  (See Fig 2 & 3 below).

As Studio 4 doesn’t run very well on my old 32 bit system, I haven’t been able to work much with Genesis and V5.  In the few experiments I have attempted, I still ran into breast mesh deformation when trying to dial down to a more petite physique.

Image Attachments
Leela_9.jpgLeela_poser_2.jpgleela_sad.jpg
 Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 24 August 2012 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4874
Joined  2009-02-26

Wow, she’s beautiful! Love the last render… so innocent lol, Looks like you pay close attention to your characters, very fresh and realistic smile I think you might have to upgrade your pc, Generation 5 is awsome to work with!

Signature 

- SpyroRue’s Deviant Art -

Posted: 24 August 2012 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...thank you.  Steph4 works so well.

Clothing fits became a lot easier as well with the Studio3A Morph Follower and the PP2010 Cloth Room.

Unfortunately I work on a 32bit notebook.  To upgrade means getting an entirely new machine.

I have one in that is a WIP, but got stiffed by Frys when they first shorted me the proper HDD mounting screws (which are unique to the case design) and then gave me the wrong rails for installing the optical drive (once again case specific). Tried to get replacements from the manufacturer but alas, the particular rails I need are out of stock indefinitely so the project is on hold again.

For now it’s a 1,200$ paperweight.

Signature 

Posted: 24 August 2012 12:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

Notebooks are great, but when it comes down to Art and design, 3D, Animation and Gaming etc.. Desktops in my opinion are the way to go. Even then alot of the creative industry swears by Mac… Though, I haven’t seen any valid reason for me to go in the Mac direction. I’m used to PC and havn’t had a problem with it in any of my creative projects.

Signature 

Posted: 24 August 2012 01:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...Yeah, bought the notebook several years before I became involved in this.  Purchased it mainly for doing some limited 2D work, writing, Net surfing and watching DVDs.  Studio1.5 - 2.3 and Poser 6 ran OK, but when 3.x came out, I realised it required more in the way of processing and memory resources.  Unfortunately I am on a limited budget so dropping upwards of 1,200 - 1,400$ on a new system in one shot was a bit out of reach.  I ended up purchasing the components for the build as I could afford them so it is something of a “One Piece at a Time” affair (cue the Johnny Cash tune of the same name) cool smile

Signature 

Posted: 24 August 2012 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 127 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26

Haha, I remember the old says of Studio 2.3, That was my first studio… I kept it going until 4.0… lol yeah the johnny cash tune comes to mind lol It was actually coincidence that i upgraded before daz 4, I started playing on 3ds max, and my render time was shocking… then 4 came out and i got back into daz… it’s pretty awesome raspberry (Daz i mean, i’m not implying boasting of upgrade, dont take it that way smile )

Signature 

Posted: 24 August 2012 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 128 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1666
Joined  2012-02-07

Greetings,
This took a while to render; mainly the flowers, I think.  And the 1536x2172 resolution, although this is a shrunk version for the forums.

— Morgan

Image Attachments
Marble_and_Flowers.png
 Signature 

Want wishlist discount notifications, better wishlist sorting, or to see ALL current discounts? http://3dwishlist.com/demo

Look at my deviantArt Gallery, give me feedback and feel free to follow!

This Firefox GreaseMonkey/Chrome Extension tweaks the wishlist and the product pages, adding cool new features to both and cleaning up small UI issues.

Posted: 24 August 2012 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 129 ]
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2003-10-09
Thorne - 08 August 2012 05:10 PM

They will be a DAZ Original, yes, so it will have to fit into their release schedule and I honestly don’t know what that is

They will come with several additional shaping morphs, extra face morphs, on/off poses, etc.  I use Silo among other tools, and my library of my own custom shape morphs for Genesis that I’m constantly adding to.

Hmmm…  (Daz)soon + Daz Original = potential use for the September PC coupon..

Great Job Thorne!!

Posted: 24 August 2012 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 130 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1573
Joined  2008-11-10

Ok, I played with one more… should I finish him up or discard?

Image Attachments
Ashley_M5_Update_-_Nicholas.jpg

Posted: 24 August 2012 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 131 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1548
Joined  2009-08-08

Oh, nice.

Posted: 24 August 2012 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 132 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1829
Joined  2006-02-17
Male-M3dia - 24 August 2012 07:34 PM

I like him.  In fact I think that the texture will work real well with the Native American Ethnicity Morphs.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 24 August 2012 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 133 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1573
Joined  2008-11-10

Ok, let me fix his neck and get this bodyshape together then… then it’s on to what I’m actually supposed to be doin’ wink Procrastination is really a bad thing.

Posted: 24 August 2012 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 134 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3383
Joined  2012-02-06

Thanks for doing this! He’ll be a nice addition to the product. I’m looking forward to the update! smile

Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 24 August 2012 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 135 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-26
Male-M3dia - 24 August 2012 07:34 PM

He’s awesome! finish him up he’s Great :D It’s so good that your doing this, I reckon he’d be a very useful character smile Love to see his full morph too lol

Signature 

9 of 51