Day 2: A single download stops me from accessing ANY other part of DAZ.

karibousboutiquekaribousboutique Posts: 846
edited December 1969 in The Commons

For the last 2 days, while downloading a file, I cannot


*download another file simultaneously
*open the forums
*open the store
*open a help ticket
*access my account information


It has happened on two different browsers (IE and firefox) and on three different computers (Running WIndows 7 x64, WIndows 7 x32, wnd windows XP Professional.) I am not having this issue on Renderosity or RuntimeDNA.


This is simply unacceptable.


I opened a help desk ticket. I'm not optimistic about hearing from them any time soon. I'm pulling out my hair. THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!
My old downloads won't clear out. My use of the DAZ website is crippled by ONE download. My itemized order history is a joke. I can't add two of the same items to my cart, but I can add one of everything I've ever bought before. I'm having cart and checkout errors. I'm logged in at the store, but not in the forums. If I try to log in at the forums, it kicks me to my account, showing that I AM logged in. I have to log out and clear my cache to become logged into both at the same time.


WHY THE HECK IS THIS SITE EVEN RUNNING?? I CAN'T EVEN EFFECTIVELY DOWNLOAD THE CRAP I ALREADY BOUGHT!!!


WILL SOMEONE PLEASE **LISTEN** TO THIS?? How many of us have posted here in absolute disgust? How many ridiculous errors are we expected to endure? Why is there NO communication about the status of ALL work being done to the site. IT HAS BEEN THREE AND A HALF MONTHS SINCE THIS SITE OPENED. THIS IS INCOMPETENCE. PERIOD.


I want to buy an account burn. And then I wan to leave this site forever. OH WAIT, I CAN'T GET AN ACCOUNT BURN, BECAUSE YOU WON'T SELL ONE TO ME ANYMORE!! AND, OH GOODIE, I CAN ONLY DOWNLOAD ONE FILE (CONTAINED IN THE 3,200 PRODUCTS I BOUGHT HERE) AT A TIME. There are not enough hours in a day for me to accomplish that and still KEEP MY JOB!!!


DAZ, I'm breaking up with you. GIVE ME MY STUFF BACK!!!

Comments

  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 2,752
    edited December 1969

    Today I am having this problem as well.

  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,128
    edited December 1969

    Well I spoke too soon yesterday, because it happened to me today.

  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 3,778
    edited December 1969

    I haven't hit this problem yet, but I'm experiencing more and more problems all the time, things seem to be getting worse not better; it really is quite a ridiculus situation for a company to find themselves in.

  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 2,233
    edited August 2012

    Greetings,
    So...yes. I know this problem, but it's a little odd. It has to do with your own network's connection speed.


    If you have a low bandwidth connection (Qwest DSL for me), then you get blocked on accessing DAZ when you're streaming data from them, so one download at a time is kinda what you get.


    So.


    I go to work, and bring a 16GB USB stick with me, and I can download 6 items at a time, and still browse the DAZ site cleanly.


    I know that's not an option for everybody, but it might be helpful to know that it's a weird combination of problems. :-/


    -- Morgan

    P.s. To get awkwardly technical, what I believe is happening is that their edge router is dropping packets on the floor if an ACK is not received from the initial connection request quickly enough. When you're saturating your own network link with a download, it can take a while to negotiate a connection request, and their router decides that it's been too long and drops the connection request on the floor, leaving your browser to put up an 'remote host disconnected' type of error page. If you're on a fast enough connection, that saturation point is higher, so the initial connection negotiation still happens inside their router's error window. I'm guessing this happened because they changed their network configuration to support the new store, during the changeover, and their router is configured aggressively.

    Post edited by CypherFOX on
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 2,752
    edited December 1969

    Thanks for your thoughts but I should be fine bandwidth wise, both home and work are like 30mb connections. :( this just started happen, it was fine last week

  • s l fs l f Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    So...yes. I know this problem, but it's a little odd. It has to do with your own network's connection speed.


    If you have a low bandwidth connection (Qwest DSL for me), then you get blocked on accessing DAZ when you're streaming data from them, so one download at a time is kinda what you get.


    So.


    I go to work, and bring a 16GB USB stick with me, and I can download 6 items at a time, and still browse the DAZ site cleanly.


    I know that's not an option for everybody, but it might be helpful to know that it's a weird combination of problems. :-/


    -- Morgan

    P.s. To get awkwardly technical, what I believe is happening is that their edge router is dropping packets on the floor if an ACK is not received from the initial connection request quickly enough. When you're saturating your own network link with a download, it can take a while to negotiate a connection request, and their router decides that it's been too long and drops the connection request on the floor, leaving your browser to put up an 'remote host disconnected' type of error page. If you're on a fast enough connection, that saturation point is higher, so the initial connection negotiation still happens inside their router's error window. I'm guessing this happened because they changed their network configuration to support the new store, during the changeover, and their router is configured aggressively.

    Yes, well that may be part of the problem - but I suspect that there is more to the problem.

    ]Yesterday I could happily download items from Daz and visit the forums, even reponding to some posts, while my items were downloading. Today, using the EXACT SAME browser with the EXACT SAME internet connection and the EXACT SAME download speed, I find that I can only download one file at a time and while downloading I CAN'T access anything else in the Daz realm - nothing. Can't read posts or anything of that ilk. I might understand a little IF the download speed was more than the relative crawl it has been since the new site opened but, no, that hasn't changed. >:( The download speed is still only a third of what it was when the old store was in existance.

    "Frustrating experience" does not even begin to describe what a visit to the Daz site has become.

    The good news is, while I'm downloading a file from Daz I can spend my waiting time over at Renderosity and RDNA browsing their products and interacting with the forums without any problems. So I am wondering why have enough bandwidth to browse their image heavy pages with no extending waiting time for the pages to display while downloading a Daz file but not have enough bandwidth to browse what is basically text-only page on Daz itself? :-S

  • karibousboutiquekaribousboutique Posts: 846
    edited December 1969

    Bandwidth is NOT an issue at my workplace or home. And, like s l f, I was downloading fine until yesterday. This is a DAZ issue. It is not my computer's fault. It is not my ISP's fault. It's DAZ's fault. Period.

  • Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Ohhh, so that's why I couldn't do simultaneous downloads lately... Hmm, I thought it was my service-provider that had put restrictions on my downloads, but then I have no-limits on my downloads. Is this because I've downloaded six files simultaneously previously (after buying stuff, for the past 5 years) and crimped other peoples access to DAZ3D? Sooorry... 8-/

  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 1,459
    edited August 2012

    Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    So...yes. I know this problem, but it's a little odd. It has to do with your own network's connection speed.

    No, it really doesn't.


    It just hit me today, and I know I don't have low bandwidth. It isn't a problem I've had with this site before, so it's clearly something to do with something that happened to the DAZ site recently. Someone somewhere on the server side changed a setting, or THEIR service provider decided to restrict something. For some reason, the site is not allowing multiple simultaneous downloads for users. And, of course, this seems to be totally random as to who is getting hit and who isn't. Of course it is.


    Reported as a web site issue in this bug report. It's a public bug report, so if you're having this issue as well, I suggest adding notes to it, or else reporting your own bug in the Web Site Search section. (A bug report isn't quite the same thing as a help desk ticket; maybe triangulating the problem will help them identify and resolve it.)

    Post edited by vwrangler on
  • s l fs l f Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Ohhh, so that's why I couldn't do simultaneous downloads lately... Hmm, I thought it was my service-provider that had put restrictions on my downloads, but then I have no-limits on my downloads. Is this because I've downloaded six files simultaneously previously (after buying stuff, for the past 5 years) and crimped other peoples access to DAZ3D? Sooorry... 8-/


    :bug: Oooh, so it was you who broke the Daz interwebs!?! You are so naughty so no multiple downlads for you. ;-)

  • s l fs l f Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    vwrangler said:

    Reported as a web site issue in this bug report. It's a public bug report, so if you're having this issue as well, I suggest adding notes to it, or else reporting your own bug in the Web Site Search section. (A bug report isn't quite the same thing as a help desk ticket; maybe triangulating the problem will help them identify and resolve it.)



    Went and added a note to your report. Hope it helps nudge them towards a speedier resolution of the issue as this is definitely aggravating my nervous tic.

  • Chris BarnesChris Barnes Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    You guys must buy a lot of stuff. My downloads only last a minute or two, so I don't even have time to notice whether this happens to me.

  • DWGDWG Posts: 772
    edited December 1969

    s l f said:
    vwrangler said:

    Reported as a web site issue in this bug report. It's a public bug report, so if you're having this issue as well, I suggest adding notes to it, or else reporting your own bug in the Web Site Search section. (A bug report isn't quite the same thing as a help desk ticket; maybe triangulating the problem will help them identify and resolve it.)



    Went and added a note to your report. Hope it helps nudge them towards a speedier resolution of the issue as this is definitely aggravating my nervous tic.

    I've added myself to the report. Given it's a web-based issue, it might help DAZ pin it down if people reported which browser they were using and when they experienced the problem so they can correlate it against changes to the server.

  • DWGDWG Posts: 772
    edited December 1969

    You guys must buy a lot of stuff.

    Doesn't take a lot, just trying to download two items can demonstrate the problem.

  • adamr001adamr001 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Yes, it's happening to me too. I can assure you it's not a speed issue.

    201208030928_speed.png
    354 x 79 - 10K
  • Velvet GoblinVelvet Goblin Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

    Happening to me too.


    I'd add to the bug report, but I just don't have to energy to make yet another single use web account with a bloody username and password.

  • karibousboutiquekaribousboutique Posts: 846
    edited December 1969

    I opened a customer service ticket at the start of all this -- not a bug tracker item, primarily because I never got that far. Anyway, I had a reply from DAZ.

    "With your permission, I can log into your account and see if I can duplicate the same problems on my computer. I will need your permission to reset your password and log in to do this. I will tell you the new password so that you can log in and change it back to whatever you like. Let me know if this is acceptable to you. Thanks"

    I said, Yes! Please!! Will be interested in the results.

  • karibousboutiquekaribousboutique Posts: 846
    edited December 1969

    While downloading, I was suddenly logged out. When I logged back in, all was working correctly again, I hope it lasts!!

  • Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

    I got the bike (at $0.00) and used it to gauge how the download works. It is possible to download multiple items at once, although a bit sluggish. So, I suggest to download max two items at once. Or to download one item at a time for best download speed. And the page would update too during download.

    Post edited by Norse Graphics on
  • DWGDWG Posts: 772
    edited December 1969

    I got the bike (at $0.00) and used it to gauge how the download works. It is possible to download multiple items at once, although a bit sluggish. So, I suggest to download max two items at once.

    The problem is that this could be account, ISP or browser specific, so best if people find what works best for them.

  • DWGDWG Posts: 772
    edited December 1969

    I opened a customer service ticket at the start of all this -- not a bug tracker item, primarily because I never got that far. Anyway, I had a reply from DAZ.

    "With your permission, I can log into your account and see if I can duplicate the same problems on my computer. I will need your permission to reset your password and log in to do this. I will tell you the new password so that you can log in and change it back to whatever you like. Let me know if this is acceptable to you. Thanks"

    I said, Yes! Please!! Will be interested in the results.

    Might want to add that to the bug report to be sure the left and right hands of DAZ are working in sync!

  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 1,459
    edited December 1969

    After having cleared up shortly after the problem appeared, it's come back today. Downloading a file blocks me from doing anything else on the site until that download is complete, whether it's checking a forum thread or looking at products or whatever.

    I updated the bug thread -- which, weirdly enough, was never closed.

    Anyone else having this issue, or having it recur?

  • DWGDWG Posts: 772
    edited December 1969

    Didn't notice it when I downloaded a couple of items earlier.

  • adamr001adamr001 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Yes, this was fixed a few days ago for me too.

Sign In or Register to comment.
Rocket Fuel