Digital Art Zone

25 of 26
AUGUST New Users Contest WIP Thread
Posted: 28 August 2012 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 361 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  139
Joined  2008-05-09
I know I've already posted my entry, but I was just wondering if I could get a quick clarification on one of the rules. In the rules thread it states:
YOU MAY:
4. Post your image...publicly once you have completed the final image and submitted it to the Official Contest Thread..
So, if I'm reading this right, does this mean we can post our entries publicly (such as to my deviantArt gallery) BEFORE the contest ends as long as it's already been submitted to the Entry Thread? Or would such an action still result in a disqualification?
 Signature 

My deviantArt Gallery

Posted: 28 August 2012 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 362 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22
We do allow it as long as it is posted to DAZ3D first. We have Date Stamps to prove you uploaded to Daz first. Post to other sites if you wish.
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 28 August 2012 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 363 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2012-08-05
Well, good luck to all:).

If I may.. a little wisdom, I hope, from 30+ years of being judged showing horses, and judging them.

Everyone has won, already, by having the confidence to enter, and using the tools the contest encouraged.

"Winning" a judged event is intrinsic. The sole true judge of what you do is yourself. If you know you have done your best, are happy with your work, enjoy it visually.. you have "won".

Anything else.. its just opinions smile

I asked an old crusty Texas Judge one day why he didn't place my horse higher in an event I had been winning. He said.. "did you feel there was a standout pattern?" I said no. "Well.. all things being sorta equal... I just didn't like your horse. But.. its only my opinion.. and it only lasts a day"

Never forgot that.
[ Edited: 28 August 2012 05:02 PM by Teofa ]
 Signature 

My opinions are just that, based on how I see things.
Comments I make are based upon my opinions, nothing more.

Posted: 28 August 2012 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 364 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
And with that said you still have till Midnight DAZ time on the 30th to get a render submitted.

P.S. And Yes, everyone is a winner in my eyes as well.
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.

Posted: 28 August 2012 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 365 ]
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2012-08-08
Hey all,

hoping for some quick feedback. After implementing everyone's feedback a few weeks ago, I submitted the lower image (below) to the contest. Then I went on to learn about volumetric lighting and a little about post-work in Photoshop, so I'm thinking of swapping out my first entry with the top image. Two questions:

1. Is that okay?
2. What does anyone think of the 2nd image?

Thanks!

[ Edited: 28 August 2012 07:02 PM by clarke ]
Image Attachments
girlInApt30_v5.jpggirlInApt30_v7.jpg

Posted: 28 August 2012 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 366 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3804
Joined  2012-02-06
clarke, did your images get switched? To me it looks like the top one is the one with volumetric lighting...maybe the forum is playing tricks on you (it's done that to me before). (I see you edited your post) I like the top image better, but not by much. And it was previously posted that while postwork is allowed, the judge(s) prefer non-postworked images. So maybe you're better off keeping your current entry, even if you're allowed to switch them?

They're both very nice...probably can't go wrong with either, actually.

Edited to add: any tutorials or resources you'd recommend for someone interested in learning volumetric lighting? smile
[ Edited: 28 August 2012 07:08 PM by Scott-Livingston ]
 Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 28 August 2012 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 367 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
Actually what was said was I, Jaderail, prefer a none postworked image. This is not postwork but a New image based on the same scene. The rules do allow you to work on your image and replace it if you decide to do so.

This contest was my Idea, I'm the only one who asked for None Postworked renders. I wished to see what was learned about DOF by looking at a pure render. That is not in the rules, and will not be taken into consideration when the images are judged. Also I will not be a JUDGE for the contest. Everyone and every render has the same chance, postwork or not. I hope that is now clear.
 Signature 

Posted: 29 August 2012 06:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 368 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-06
@dune411412: no problem! Glad you found it useful.

@Jaderail: Thanks for clearing that up. I misread your original post on the topic. Funny how things work out...I noticed a couple of issues in my render that I was thinking of postworking, but as a result of the misunderstanding, I kept playing with it, and I think I've managed to fix them in DS (re-rendering now). smile

There won't be a second entry from me this month, but I have a few unused or unfinished concepts that I might be able to take advantage of in a future contest.
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 29 August 2012 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 369 ]
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-05-12
Jaderail - 27 August 2012 06:17 PM
ntotor - 27 August 2012 04:35 PM
This is my config, I would gratefully accept tips ...

left uber, right rendering, all I know for moment is that I could lower uber shading rate to 1 or less, that's all wink
Okay I see two things, your Max Ray Trace Depth is to low try 2 or 4. And two your shading rate should be .5 or .1 for most renders. The lower the better render wise.

Thanks Jaderail render are much better, but far away from what I wanted (My fault for much), so I'm rendering rendering rendering ... wink
[ Edited: 29 August 2012 02:10 PM by ntotor ]

Posted: 29 August 2012 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 370 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
ntotor - 29 August 2012 01:55 PM
Jaderail - 27 August 2012 06:17 PM
ntotor - 27 August 2012 04:35 PM
This is my config, I would gratefully accept tips ...

left uber, right rendering, all I know for moment is that I could lower uber shading rate to 1 or less, that's all wink
Okay I see two things, your Max Ray Trace Depth is to low try 2 or 4. And two your shading rate should be .5 or .1 for most renders. The lower the better render wise.

Thanks Jaderail render are much better, but far away from what I wanted (My fault for much), so I'm rendering rendering rendering ... wink
Once you get a good render setting that is when you start playing with the texture settings for your figure. Bump settings and the skin model are the First things I play with. Then test renders are a must.

ANNOUNCEMENT:You still have until midnight Daz time (UTC-07) on the 30th to get a render submitted.
 Signature 

Posted: 29 August 2012 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 371 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-06
This will be my entry...unless anyone sees something that needs fixing. smile I changed the female's skin texture back to the one I was originally using (Tamesis WildElf) but gave her a new eye texture (from Chablis), I fixed some pokethrough on her clothes, and I repositioned some of the things and people in the background in order to make better use of the space.

Good work, everyone, and best of luck in the contest! smile
Image Attachments
neanderthalmuseum5a.jpg
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 30 August 2012 02:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 372 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-02-25
Really nice renders! smile

Posted: 30 August 2012 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 373 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17069
Joined  2003-10-09
Dmj0024 - 30 August 2012 02:25 AM
Really nice renders! smile

I have moved your comment into the WIP thread as the Contest thread is only for the finished renders to allow the Judges to view then without any extra comments.
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 30 August 2012 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 374 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7977
Joined  2006-03-19
This is the last day for submissions so make sure you post your image to the contest thread.
 Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Ravenwood Cemetery*****  

Posted: 30 August 2012 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 375 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  139
Joined  2008-05-09
For some odd reason this morning, I decided I'd try to put together a second entry. Yeah, I started working on this one the very last day the contest is open.

Anyways, suggestions welcome, but due to time constraints, I may or may not be able to make use of them before I submit to the entry thread.
Image Attachments
Just_a_Small_Town_Girl.jpg
 Signature 

My deviantArt Gallery

25 of 26