22 of 26
AUGUST New Users Contest WIP Thread
Posted: 26 August 2012 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 316 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22
deloquencia - 26 August 2012 12:04 PM
Next to the one head aching/ex-poser scene I've been doing this here.
DOF is a little bit of a problem here, perhaps I balanced it too much in favour for the crows.
What do you think? Do you have any suggestions for me? Thanks in advance... grin

Edit: Why is an image with a width of 800x get scaled down? Earlier this was the most which fit in.
Its scaling bad! So I replaced the image for better quality. What's the max. width for the images now?
You can Click the images and see them full size again. It looks good to me except I think your correct. If you pulled the depth in and dropped just a bit of the last crow from focus I think it would be better.

We Still prefer a 800x800 max for the contest.
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 26 August 2012 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 317 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2011-11-30
I got back to 800px....

Thanks Jaderail for your suggestion with the DOF. I thought so... indeed it would be better.
The reason why I didn't decreased the f-stop is that I'll loose the cities silhouette in the background.

Already yesterday I experimented with the render editor inside DAZ Studio and did a trans-blending of two renderings with different f-stops.
Is such an artificial DOF, based upon two different DOFs allowed? With a filter mounted at a lens - it's in the real world possible.

Like that test rendering here. Horizontal blending: left f-stop 300 and right f-stop 15.
Image Attachments
dof-tests_transblending.jpg
 Signature 

je souhaite... (-:

Posted: 26 August 2012 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 318 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
deloquencia - 26 August 2012 12:31 PM
I got back to 800px....

Thanks Jaderail for your suggestion with the DOF. I thought so... indeed it would be better.
The reason why I didn't decreased the f-stop is that I'll loose the cities silhouette in the background.

Already yesterday I experimented with the render editor inside DAZ Studio and did a trans-blending of two renderings with different f-stops.
Is such an artificial DOF, based upon two different DOFs allowed? With a filter mounted at a lens - it's in the real world possible.

Like that test rendering here. Horizontal blending: left f-stop 300 and right f-stop 15.
As long as the FULL image was done in one program it is allowed. Postwork is not allowed. I do not think many users would think of the BUILT in Render Editor. That is good thinking and I wish I had pointed it out much earlier in the contest.
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.

Posted: 26 August 2012 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 319 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
It seems That will need to be Discussed with the Boss. We are not 100% on if built in postwork is allowed or not. I will get the answer posted as soon as I have it.
 Signature 

Posted: 26 August 2012 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 320 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2011-11-30
I think it's post-processing, because the rendering has been already done...
[ Edited: 26 August 2012 01:06 PM by deloquencia ]
 Signature 

je souhaite... (-:

Posted: 26 August 2012 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 321 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
deloquencia - 26 August 2012 01:03 PM
I think it's post-processing, because the rendering has been already done...
It is still being discussed. So at this time lets not use it. When we have a Final word on it I will see it gets added to the rules.

Thank you all for joining in this month. I have had lot's of fun and seen some Great ART. Four days to go. Lets see some of those renders you have not shown people.
 Signature 

Posted: 26 August 2012 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 322 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15601
Joined  2003-10-09
We don't exclude postwork in all contests. but in some, like this one for example and the one on lighting, when it is how you do it within the program that is important, then obviously postwork should not be allowed.

But that is just my opinion. We now wait for an informed opinion from she who must be obeyed.

The idea is to produce the DOF within the program. This gives the biggest problems to Poser users unfortunately, because that is not an easy program to do DOF in, whereas both Bryce and DS do have good tools for using it.
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 26 August 2012 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 323 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2008-05-12
Finish for today ...

I had a long battle against light, and light won ...

I'm definitely not happy with the head shape and how it render but I find there some improvement since the first render ...

Image Attachments
TravFocus3.jpg

Posted: 26 August 2012 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 324 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
@ntotor:Much improved, good work.
 Signature 

Posted: 26 August 2012 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 325 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2010-02-25
ntotor this picture looks better, good job.
 Signature 

My renders on deviantART http://rendersas.deviantart.com/

Posted: 26 August 2012 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 326 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2008-05-12
Sorry, I can't resist ... You know: "a last one and i go to sleep" ...

So now I will go ... I hope ...

Image Attachments
TravFocusFinal.jpg

Posted: 26 August 2012 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 327 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  139
Joined  2008-05-09
deloquencia - 26 August 2012 08:44 AM
@Cyonix: I'd suggest you to re-frame your image and change the perspective. Why not a 2:3 portrait from slightly next to the tables edge. A more lower perspective here could you get more dramatic effect.

Something like this maybe?
Image Attachments
vamp_wip_4.jpg
 Signature 

My deviantArt Gallery

Posted: 26 August 2012 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 328 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3488
Joined  2012-02-06
A few quick comments on recently posted images...hope I didn't miss anyone.

Colpolstudios: I can't find anything wrong with the dragon picture either. On the other, watch the collision between the scorpion creature's feet and the floor. And maybe adding shadows would help, too.

Cyonix: Definitely an improvement over the original, which I already thought was good.

Fhalo: I like your latest work, and I prefer the monochrome one too. Very poignant. Although maybe it would be even better if it wasn't quite monochrome? Like maybe sepia, or not completely desaturated, or something like Schindler's List with only certain spots of color?

ntotor: Keeps getting better. I'd like to see stronger light on one side of her face than the other. Loved your first entry, by the way.

evilproducer: I think yours has improved a good deal, also. And I love the camera angle!

deloquencia: nothing specific to say about the technical aspects, but I like the fox. smile Nice work so far.
 Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 26 August 2012 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 329 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5191
Joined  2006-08-27
Thanks for the compliment.

Essentially the image with the focus on the airship was what I had posted a couple pages back except that I had added the sepia tint to it. The other image was focused on the woman. I was illustrating a point about what the artist wants the viewer to focus on. Between the two renderings, I would submit the image where the airship is in focus and the woman is not. The expression on the face is important, so I didn't have her out of focus to the point where her face was a complete blur, but as much as I wanted the expression, the airship is still the primary element I want the viewers eyes drawn to.
 Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 26 August 2012 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 330 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
This came up at the very end folks so please forgive me if you think this was news you needed before now. Postwork is allowed in the contest, if you used the Camera DOF for the Render you can postwork it to get a better image.

Now, with that said I as the person running the contest would still prefer a Pure render. None of this will prevent any user from winning a prize. You still have time to postwork your work and replace them if you wish.

I will not be judging in this contest. This is a learning contest. If you did FULL DOF in postwork what would you have gained?

P.S. Just one more week until a NEW contest.
 Signature 

22 of 26