Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Are you KIDDING ME??
Posted: 01 August 2012 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  719
Joined  2008-05-05

Let me preface this by saying I have only recently begun using DS.  Ergo, there are MANY files in my history t hat I never downloaded, because I didn’t need the DS files.  I’m now trying to retrieve them so I have DS textures for as many products as possible.  Up until today, while I was working, I’d reset a bunch of downloads, then start downloading 3-4 at a time.  I’d go work for a while, then come back and repeat this.  This is necessary since Daz STOPPED their account burn service, which would have saved me EONS of time downloading files for the 3600 items in my history.  ANYWAY…

Today, I was HORRIFIED to discover that if I am downloading a SINGLE file, I can do NOTHING else on DAZ’s site.  Share CG is this way.  I tolerate it there because, you know, everything there is free.  Here at DAZ???  NO FREAKING WAY.

While downloading a file, I could not…
*Download another file
*Open the forums in another tab or window
*open the store in another tab or window

No.  No, no NO!!!  If this is a permanent change, and not a temporary thing they’re doing to change code or whatever, I’m DONE here.  I cannot tolerate ONE MORE STUPID THING PERTAINING TO THIS WEBSITE!

And before you ask, NO, it is not my browser.  It did this to me in both Firefox and Internet Exploder. 

I. Give.Up.

Signature 

One in 150 children is diagnosed with autism. One is mine.

My deviantArt Gallery: http://karibous-boutique.deviantart.com/
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club

Posted: 01 August 2012 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1747
Joined  2008-11-10

I did three files at a time this morning to download content I bought last night… and looked at a few forum posts.

Posted: 01 August 2012 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1929
Joined  2010-10-10

I also downloaded four files this morning, and read the forum posts while they downloaded.grin

I’m using Firefox and have never had the same problem as with ShareCG where you have to wait.

Signature 

Wendy

My website: http://www.wilmapsdigitalcreations.co.uk

Tutorials: http://www.wilmapsdigitalcreations.co.uk/view_products.php?cat=10

PLEASE NOTE:
My items are NOT to be used on Second Life website.  They have recently changed their TOS and are legally able to take/steal anything uploaded and resell/redistribute to items.

Posted: 01 August 2012 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2003-10-09

Hi KaribousBoutique,

There may be a glitch in their system (hopefully temporary) or a bandwidth issue with your ISP.

I’ve done dozens of resets, myself, since this latest chnage to the site—yes, there are some annoying issues they need to work out—but so far, I’ve not been limited to doing just one action on DAZ. I’ve been able to downlod multiple items in my pages.

Hopefully, things will straighten out soon.

(& I don’t mean “DAZSoon (TM)”)

Posted: 01 August 2012 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2005-09-19

I had at 6 downloads running in parallel this morning, no issue, and I’ve had up to a dozen or more in the recent past. And I was reading two different forum tabs in parallel with that, one of which was off working out the list of new posts.

It may not be your browser, but it may have been your ISP, any other ISP between you and DAZ, or it may have been a temporary restriction while some large batch process runs on the DAZ servers.

Posted: 01 August 2012 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4815
Joined  2011-10-04

That’s odd, because I have definitely downloaded multiple files while doing other things as well.

However, I will recommend Taozen’s store downloader utility, if you need to download a mass of things. And history tool for resetting downloads. (Seriously, they’re that good.)

And as mentioned above, it is possible that ISP or third party on the route was having problems, and traffic ended up throttled.

Signature 

Remembering Jaderail. Rest, my friend.
My DeviantArt page.
My DAZ Studio 4 freebies.
My ramblings/blog

Posted: 01 August 2012 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  524
Joined  2005-01-18
Skiriki - 01 August 2012 11:39 AM

However, I will recommend Taozen’s store downloader utility, if you need to download a mass of things. And history tool for resetting downloads. (Seriously, they’re that good.)

Agreed whole heartedly! I use them all the time.

Love, Jeanne

Signature 

I am what I am, my own special creation

Posted: 01 August 2012 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-05-05
DWG - 01 August 2012 11:36 AM

I had at 6 downloads running in parallel this morning, no issue, and I’ve had up to a dozen or more in the recent past. And I was reading two different forum tabs in parallel with that, one of which was off working out the list of new posts.

It may not be your browser, but it may have been your ISP, any other ISP between you and DAZ, or it may have been a temporary restriction while some large batch process runs on the DAZ servers.

That may be.  I WAS successfully downloading several files at once until about 10:30 in the morning.  Then, nada.  It stopped.  I was still able to download multiple files at once from renderosity, so I don’t think it’s entirely my ISP.  I am willing to believe that there was some “bad chemistry” between DAZ and the ISP.  I’m our network administrator, so I know it isn’t a LAN issue.  If this continues, I’ll try at home. I’m ready to pull my hair out.  Sadly, I’m about halfway through an enormous pile of already reset downloads.  I think Taozen’s downloader will downlaod ALL the files in the available downloads.  I’ll need to wait for them all to expire before I download them that way.

Signature 

Posted: 01 August 2012 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-04

No, you can pick and choose what to download.

Signature 

My DeviantArt page.
My ramblings/blog

Posted: 01 August 2012 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-05-05

Well, that helps, thank goodness.  I’m still annoyed an baffled by the behavior, though.

Signature 

Posted: 01 August 2012 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-04
KaribousBoutique - 01 August 2012 01:36 PM

Well, that helps, thank goodness.  I’m still annoyed an baffled by the behavior, though.

I think they are fixing something right now; I noticed something familiar from the past happening, so I’m going to assume there’s some code fixing and live-testing going on.

I understand that these things are ticking you off, I don’t like it either when things don’t work, ‘cause I’m a sysadmin at heart, and things need to work [string of Finnish expletives deleted]. However, I also grok it that this problem is right now complicated. And having worked on similar things, plus tech support, I’m willing to give them some slack, since Taozen’s tools are really that good—I may end up using them even after the official installer comes around, unless it can utterly beat them in functionality.

You can get a CSV list out of history tool, it will double-check your cart for duplicates (within reason), it can reset downloads, search your history… what’s there not to love? Then, downloader. Leave it chugging at the background and you don’t need to pay attention to that screen ‘till it is done.

Also? There’s RENDEROSITY tools too! OMG. smile

Signature 

My DeviantArt page.
My ramblings/blog

Posted: 01 August 2012 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-05-05
Skiriki - 01 August 2012 01:40 PM

I understand that these things are ticking you off, I don’t like it either when things don’t work, ‘cause I’m a sysadmin at heart, and things need to work [string of Finnish expletives deleted]. However, I also grok it that this problem is right now complicated. And having worked on similar things, plus tech support, I’m willing to give them some slack, since Taozen’s tools are really that good

I think I’d be more willing to just accept these kinds of things if SO MANY other things weren’t also wrong.  I honestly do not understand why a website with so many unfinished issues was opened to the public.  Many of these major issues should have been done BEFORE the release.  That way, only bug fixes would need addressing after public release.  The new site should have at least included the same functionality as the old one.  Waiting longer to release would have avoided the issues that are turning so many of us away.

Signature 

Posted: 01 August 2012 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-05-05

And… where??  I need this. Lol.

Signature 

Posted: 01 August 2012 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-04

I am reasonably certain that it was bug tested, as people involved in testing have told us about their involvement. However, something happened between…

1) moving from test environment to live production
2) specifically and/or partially related to scaling of operations (on database, code and services level)

The latter can be a killer. (I’m personally experiencing its bite, as my wishlist is pretty solidly unviewable due to its sheer size—2,200 items, which was incredibly unwieldy even in the old system. The system timeouts before it can read off all the items on my wishlist, but if it were limited to 10/25/50 items per page, I probably would see it.)

Going back is not exactly an option at this stage, and based on what people directly involved with maintenance of the old shop said, it wasn’t even on 17th of May: that the code was unsustainable; it is interesting but I had more problems with the old system (other than my current wishlist problem; I was smart and made a copy of it for myself before the store was closed for switchover, so I’m not suffering that badly) than I have with the new one. Right now it is “we have to deal with it, and make it work, because old system is not an option anymore”. Yes, maybe something else than Magento would have been better, but frankly, I and most other people on this forum do not know the ins and outs of the decision which made them pick it.

And anyone saying that this is the worst switchover in history needs to read this before calling the shots. wink

Signature 

My DeviantArt page.
My ramblings/blog

Posted: 01 August 2012 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-10-04
KaribousBoutique - 01 August 2012 02:22 PM

And… where??  I need this. Lol.

Renderosity (it is on the same page with the DAZ download tool). And RDNA (ditto). Bottom of the page, but I linked to the .zips (hopefully you can download directly).

Signature 

My DeviantArt page.
My ramblings/blog

Posted: 01 August 2012 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-05-05

I’m not saying it’s the worst web screw-up ever.  But it still isn’t pretty. I’m also NOT suggesting that we go back to the old system.  I’ve done web updates (on a much smaller scale) enough to know that once you implement, rolling back is nightmarish.  I have no problem with the new interface, except that it doesn’t work as it SHOULD.  It works as it was DESIGNED, not as it SHOULD.  I’m fine with bugs, actually.  I can forgive those, because THOSE are a natural part of upgrades.  I’m simply not okay with jumping into this platform before key user functionality was implemented.  Seems that DAZ, like the bank in your link, was more concerned with a deadline than in serving its customers.  Surely, they could have limped by with the old site for a few more months, rather than making their customers suffer the sheer inconvenience of the new one. It’s poor business strategy.  This is a web-based sales organization.  When you have dozens of customers voicing their shock and distress, and their money is no longer rushing in, then the decision making process needs to be evaluated.

If I had offered my customers this kind of transition, I would have been fired.

Signature 

1 of 3