2 of 2
So, I’m a fool.
Posted: 01 August 2012 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2012-07-30
ManStan - 01 August 2012 12:04 PM

Wet blanket time.

DAZ has nothing to do with the way hexagon is set up, how it functions, or it’s interface. DAZ bought it pretty much as is. Probably why I love it, and do all my mesh work in it LOL

Hexagon also parents with carrara quite well. You can do the modeling in hexagon, then texture it in carrara and render.

Carrara can also use most studio and Poser content; some times better then studio or Poser lol

Ahh, I see. So it’s in the same boat as Bryce, then. Or 3DSMAX and Maya for Autodesk, etc.

That’s fine. Who ever developed it, it’s currently a DAZ product, so good on ‘em for picking it up smile

If it has that interoperability with DAZ’s other products, then that’s all the better.

I still have to learn the pipeline of how to put together a scene for animation in Das Studio and such, but I still have my sights on Carrara, only because I really like an all-in-one solution that does everything from A-to-Z. I also really like their implementation of several workspaces, each with its own task focus.

I do see that Das Studio can handle animations and such, but I don’t know to what degree. Like, how involved can you get with them? Particle systems and the such? That’s why I am keen on finding out more about Carrara.

Posted: 01 August 2012 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  236
Joined  2010-01-27

Welcome to the club! That is, the club of foolish DAZ users cheese

Signature 

—————————-
“By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you’ll be happy. If you get a bad one, you’ll become a philosopher.”—Socrates
http://www.improbable.me
Using DS 4.5.0.114 Pro 32 bit poorly.

(Formerly Halfbubble)

Posted: 01 August 2012 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2012-07-30
Torby - 01 August 2012 02:57 PM

Welcome to the club! That is, the club of foolish DAZ users cheese

Well thank ya!

Although, I had considered myself a fool for passing up on DAZ products for so long.

I suppose now that I’ve decided to start learning them myself, that makes me a different kind of fool?

Posted: 01 August 2012 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

Studio, particle system?

Carrara has one and it works fairly well; didn’t think I was ever going to figure it out, but 3dage got me through it. And at one time you could work out an animation in studio, then stage it in carrara. You’ll need animate 2.

I learned how to do all this in carrara, I’ve only used maybe, maybe 10% of carrara’s features. But even with the new UI I find studio very clumsy to use for staging, and I don’t like the lighting at all. Just used to carrara.

Posted: 01 August 2012 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2008-10-19
LeatherGryphon - 01 August 2012 11:09 AM

To the OP:
Welcome to the DAZ world.  smile  Yes the tools have their good points.  Although, some here would quickly point out the squirrels under the hood of some of them. 

But on a sour note

carrie58 - 31 July 2012 08:39 PM

Congradulations on joining the fun!!

“Congradulations”??? Arghhhh!!!  I know it’s meant tongue-in-cheek but I freak everytime I see that word.  So I looked it up to see what the world thinks of it and I particularly like the the #1 definition in the link below (#4 is good too ):

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=congradulations

This is what we get when we let the inmates run the asylum, and TV is the great educator of the masses.  When did this country start glorifying stupidity?

Sorry, I know I promised to be good and only lurk but I had to come out of hiding.  I was about to burst. :(

LeatherGryphon you are still here!! I hadn’t seen you anywhere and I missed you!! I never can remember whether it’s a” d or a t “suppose to go there, and well if that’s the worst thing I’ve done today,then that’s okay too .........by the way don’t stress it’s bad for your health .... cheese

Posted: 03 August 2012 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  694
Joined  2003-10-09
carrie58 - 01 August 2012 06:34 PM
LeatherGryphon - 01 August 2012 11:09 AM

To the OP:
Welcome to the DAZ world.  smile  Yes the tools have their good points.  Although, some here would quickly point out the squirrels under the hood of some of them.  ... Sorry, I know I promised to be good and only lurk but I had to come out of hiding.  I was about to burst. :(

LeatherGryphon you are still here!! I hadn’t seen you anywhere and I missed you!! ... by the way don’t stress it’s bad for your health .... cheese

Missed me?  I didn’t even know you were shooting at me! 8-o

My health is just fine.  It’s my body that’s gone to hell.  8-o

So, where’ve I been?  I got my hands slapped by a moderator and decided the frustration of the new website and store were too much to suffer so I took a vow of silence.  And in an act of childish petulance erased my wishlist and cleared out my profile, and even scrambled my password so I couldn’t log in again, swearing “never again”.  But the withdrawl symptoms were excruciating and I had to sheepishly phone DAZ to help me reset my password so I could come out of hiding to get my fix.  Especially when DAZ pulled a sneaky and offered Platinum Club prices for the masses temporarily.

Signature 

I’m sooo confused…  I’ve come to grasp a little of the nature of reality and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  I even have an inkling as to who and what I am. Auuummmmm…
But please, please, who the hell are you?  And why are you trampling my roses?

Posted: 03 August 2012 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2008-10-19

Of course miss you,I may do more lurking than typeing ,but you usually have some spunky comment about something going on.

Posted: 03 August 2012 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2231
Joined  2005-09-05
miketvogel - 31 July 2012 10:17 PM
AtticAnne - 31 July 2012 10:12 PM

Your enthusiasm has encouraged me, Mike.  I will go back try to model something in Hexagon again.  I’m really dense, panic, and close it without doing anything..

GeekAtPlay - Go through this guy’s tutorials. Pause when you’re ready to replicate what he does, then go back and watch more, etc…

That’s how I’ve been getting through it, and it’s been great. I mean, mileage may vary, but I seriously think that if you don’t let yourself get overwhelmed and just follow everything he does in those vids, you’ll be fine. They’re very, very good videos, some of the best I’ve seen for any 3D software… and I’ve tried many.

The thing that struck me about Hexagon at first is the 3 grids. I’m so used to only seeing the floor plane that having the 2 vertical ones was almost “claustrophobic” to me at first. I like how in Carrara you can see a silhouette of your object on all grids. Hexagon don’t seem to have that feature, but I can imagine having them being very helpful when you’re viewing or lining things up in orthographic mode (flat view along a given axis with no perspective). Anyway, if the grids are “too much”, there’s buttons to disable them, so, no big deal there. And anyway, I’m kinda getting used to them now.

Good luck!

That’s how I got started with Hexagon also…welcome to the addiction Mike!

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

2 of 2