Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Bryce Installation problem
Posted: 30 July 2012 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2005-10-15

Hi.  I am running Windows 7 (64 bit) and tried to install Bryce 7 Pro.  It *seemed* to install correctly, but when I tried to run it I got a requester stating:  “The application has failed to start because its side-to-side configuration is incorrect.  Please see the application event log or use the command line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.  What do I do now?  I’m a newby to Windows 7.

Thanks,

CyraNose

Posted: 31 July 2012 12:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6592
Joined  2006-02-20

I had that too ...
https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/20633961-side-by-side-configuration-in-bryce-7

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?
Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki: https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org

Posted: 31 July 2012 03:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17130
Joined  2003-10-09

Yes as Kerya says, this is a frequent problem when installing Bryce for the first time. THe problem arises becuse Bryce is a 32bit app and you are probably running on a 64bit system. You need to add the missing .dll in your VisualC++. which is included in the vcredist_x86 redistributable form Microsoft, which is spoken about in the link Kerya has given you.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 01 August 2012 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2005-10-15

Keyra and Chohole,

Much thanks!  Yes, I’m running a 64-bit system.  I’ll do it!

Best,

—CyraNose

Posted: 02 August 2012 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2005-10-15

Well, it didn’t work for me.  First I checked Windows Installer and found I was up-to-date.  I also checked the “uninstall program” list on the Control Panel and found I had Visual C++ x64 already installed.  I tried installing vcredist_x86.exe, and got a requester saying “MS Visual C** Runtime Library.  Runtime error!  Program C:\Windows ... R6016 - not enough space for thread data.”  Clicking “OK” did not make this go away.  Clicked on the red X and it disappeared.  Tried to start Bryce and got the side-by-side message again.  Tried restarting the PC and got the same message when I tried to start Bryce.  Heck, I tried installing the x64 version.  I also tried installing the IA version, but got a requester saying my processor did not support it.

Further suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

—CyraNose

Posted: 02 August 2012 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  559
Joined  2009-04-14
CyraNose - 30 July 2012 07:51 PM

Hi.  I am running Windows 7 (64 bit) and tried to install Bryce 7 Pro.  It *seemed* to install correctly, but when I tried to run it I got a requester stating:  “The application has failed to start because its side-to-side configuration is incorrect.  Please see the application event log or use the command line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.  What do I do now?  I’m a newby to Windows 7.

Thanks,

CyraNose

Seems to be a common issue for Win7 64-bit users. I can install Bryce 7 Pro, but it won’t run, for exactly the same reason. DAZ, any chance of getting a Win7 64-bit compatible version of Bryce 7 Pro?

Posted: 02 August 2012 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-04-14
chohole - 31 July 2012 03:46 AM

Yes as Kerya says, this is a frequent problem when installing Bryce for the first time. THe problem arises becuse Bryce is a 32bit app and you are probably running on a 64bit system. You need to add the missing .dll in your VisualC++. which is included in the vcredist_x86 redistributable form Microsoft, which is spoken about in the link Kerya has given you.

That has been tried before, and has proven not to work. The last build was 2010 (I believe), and did not solve the side-by-side issue; and the build before that does not offer support for Win7.

Posted: 03 August 2012 01:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

Well, it worked for me when I got my new computer with Windows7 64bit this May ...
I installed the English versions of the Microsoft Visual C++ thingies (both of them, just because), even with my German windows. Since then Bryce is working well.
Having a 64bit system made me able to use the 3GB LargeAdressAwareness too - which makes Bryce even more stable.
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556

I did search a bit more, because I found my solution in May in the old forum ... I think it was a message by Rashad. That one told me to install the 2005 Visual C++
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=26347
vcredist_x86.EXE

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 03 August 2012 03:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  931
Joined  2003-10-09
Sarsifus - 02 August 2012 04:58 PM
chohole - 31 July 2012 03:46 AM

That has been tried before, and has proven not to work. The last build was 2010 (I believe), and did not solve the side-by-side issue; and the build before that does not offer support for Win7.

Actually your statement isn’t true as there are quite a few of us Brycers that are running Win 7, had this problem and then solved it by getting the 32bit version of the VisualC++ redistributable and installing it, myself included. Given that more people have solved this problem this way then there are others who couldn’t solve it this way. That would suggest there is something in the configuration of you Win 7 install besides the VisualC++ redistributable that is the cause of the problem. Either that or you’re not installing the correct one or you’re not doing the update as well as installing the redistributable. Given that the current top priority is likely to get Bryce working with the latest Mac OS I highly doubt we’ll be seeing a 64 Bit version of Bryce anytime soon.

I may have spotted the problem though, the link above to the Daz support zendesk link talks about The Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package for Windows 7 64-bit. It also talks about an update some may need which is The Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update which is available on the zen desk page where it says:

You may also want to add this update from Microsoft’s website:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&am; ...

I know to get mine working I had to install that update as well as The Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package for Windows 7 64-bit. I noticed that CyraNose indicated having tried the x86 version, the x64 version and the IA version. That suggests that CyraNose only download and installed the updates for The Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update as that was the only link that had an IA option. That would also explain the error message CyraNose got because if Windows 7 shipped without the 32 Bit version and then CyraNose tried to run an update to that version it stands to reason an error would generate because there was nothing there for the update to update. So what one needs to do is go to the second link on the zen desk page first to download the 32 Bit version of The Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package for Windows 7 64-bit and then if it’s not working go to the first link and download the x86 version of The Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update.

Posted: 03 August 2012 03:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20

LordHardDriven: do you remember exactly which one (2005 or 2010) you installed?
Maybe it’s the problem of the official Daz page (my link above) that it links to the wrong VisualC++?
Because, as I said, I am quite sure I used the 2005 one.

Signature 

Posted: 03 August 2012 04:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  931
Joined  2003-10-09
Kerya - 03 August 2012 03:57 AM

Maybe it’s the problem of the official Daz page (my link above) that it links to the wrong VisualC++?

I don’t remember 100% for certain but I think it was The Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update that did it for me. I just edited my post above to offer a solution though. By CyraNose’s reference to an IA version it is clear CyraNose was looking at The Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update since that’s the only one that offered an IA version. I suspect the error CyraNose reported getting on the x86 version is because the update was wanting to update files that weren’t on CyraNose’s drive since Win 7 didn’t ship with the 32bit version of the VisualC++ files. So I think for most people they’ll need to download and install the 32 bit version of the 2010 redistributable first and if that doesn’t fix the problem then do the update for the 32 bit 2005 VisualC++ files. In other words at the page you linked to at zen desk click the second link first to download and install the x86 version of the 2010 redistributable and then if the problem still persists click the first link and choose to download the x86 version of the 2005 update.

Posted: 03 August 2012 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-04-14
LordHardDriven - 03 August 2012 04:24 AM
Kerya - 03 August 2012 03:57 AM

I don’t remember 100% for certain but I think it was The Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update that did it for me. I just edited my post above to offer a solution though. By CyraNose’s reference to an IA version it is clear CyraNose was looking at The Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update since that’s the only one that offered an IA version. I suspect the error CyraNose reported getting on the x86 version is because the update was wanting to update files that weren’t on CyraNose’s drive since Win 7 didn’t ship with the 32bit version of the VisualC++ files. So I think for most people they’ll need to download and install the 32 bit version of the 2010 redistributable first and if that doesn’t fix the problem then do the update for the 32 bit 2005 VisualC++ files. In other words at the page you linked to at zen desk click the second link first to download and install the x86 version of the 2010 redistributable and then if the problem still persists click the first link and choose to download the x86 version of the 2005 update.

I can honestly say that it doesn’t work—at least not for everyone—because I’ve tried all of it, including the suggestions raised in these recent discussions, and it still doesn’t work, damn it. I’m not running anything exotic—just a Dell laptop with an Intel i3 dual-core processor, 6 GB RAM, and Win7 Home Premium 64-bit. I really had hopes for the LAA plug-in, but even that didn’t take. I just gotta face that there is something about my current machine that Bryce doesn’t like—just wish I knew what the Hell it was. Hey, thanks to everyone for the ideas; hopefully, this will help others.

Posted: 03 August 2012 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  684
Joined  2010-12-13

I’m fairly sure it’s the 2005 version that needs to be installed. I would try this one, as it’s a standalone package, not an update. *Thank you* Microsoft for naming all the files in all versions vcredist_x86.exe. mad

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5638

Signature 

Daz Gallery
DA Gallery
Old post count 1725 (seems lame compared to some)

Posted: 03 August 2012 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-04-14
Slimer_J_Spud - 03 August 2012 04:36 PM

I’m fairly sure it’s the 2005 version that needs to be installed. I would try this one, as it’s a standalone package, not an update. *Thank you* Microsoft for naming all the files in all versions vcredist_x86.exe. mad

Yeah, that’s a no-go, too—I tried it just now and I think I tried it a few weeks ago, as well. My machine is simply not going to run Bryce. Thanks…

Posted: 04 August 2012 12:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-20
Sarsifus - 03 August 2012 08:19 PM

Yeah, that’s a no-go, too—I tried it just now and I think I tried it a few weeks ago, as well. My machine is simply not going to run Bryce. Thanks…

What happened when you tried it?

Signature 

Posted: 04 August 2012 01:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-04-14
Kerya - 04 August 2012 12:59 AM
Sarsifus - 03 August 2012 08:19 PM

What happened when you tried it?

Same thing as always: install the C++ runtime (all of the different versions listed in this discussion), reboot, attempt to restart Bryce, and then the “side-by-side” error message pops up. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled Bryce 7 Pro several times, and it’s always the same.

1 of 3