Digital Art Zone

2 of 12
Completely new to Carrara and 3D, Badly Need “Where To Start” Advice
Posted: 28 July 2012 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-05-21

If you’re wanting to learn box modeling, I highly recommend Wings3D. A very simple modeler with an interface that seems like it holds your hand as you model. Select a face, only the face tools are available. It also has an information bar along the bottom that helps a lot. I learned more about modeling and terminology in a few weeks playing with it than a year of off and on with Carrara. Kind of hard to pick through Carrara’s tools searching for extrude, for example, when you’re not even sure what extrude really is. Wings simplified that process for me and I’m now making bigger gains in Carrara because of it. It can ever replace Carrara as you need a renderer or animation program, Wings really does neither. It sure helped on learning the basics, though. It’s free, give it a shot to see if it helps. Did for me.
I also found Hexagon and it’s interface a big help, but, I’m on a Mac. Hexagon doesn’t play well with it. Wish it did as I would do most of my modeling in it. Very intuitive for a beginner like myself as well.

Dave….....

Posted: 29 July 2012 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2012-07-27

There have been many great tips and fantastic advice given so far by everyone.  I’m taking it ALL to heart.  I’ll be doing both video series tutorials from VTC and Infinite Skills.  I’ll start there and play with Carrara while watching them, trying to follow along.

I sure am hearing a lot about “shaders”, and if I’m reading a gut instinct right now, it seems everything seems to be based around that for some reason.  I think I better start reading up on those first.

Ok, time to go install Hexagon…

Advice and tips:  Keep it coming!

Another question that concerns me:  How long does it generally take to start learning this stuff to crank out some acceptable work?  I mean, really?  Am I gonna be burning my life up on this and turn into some pasty-white geek because of never seeing daylight?  I’m hoping that Carrara is the way to being able to AVOID having to do that….

Posted: 29 July 2012 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-27

You know, the more I look around, the more I make a sad discovery.  So I’ll summarize it here in the form of a mild rant (and then I’ll move on):

DAZ3D is CLEARLY a company that is very much NOT interested in wasting its time on trivialities - such as “documentation”.  Holy cow.  I see missing documentation, broken links, and old documentation being released with newer versions of software.  But boy does every link that leads yoou to some kind of purchase sure work!  Same with every link that allows users to do DAZ’s work for them and upload their own tutorials.  This is really lowbrow & cheesey, DAZ.

If i were to try to pull that off in any company I have ever worked for, I would have been fired in a heartbeat.

Ok, I’m done (climbing back down off of soapbox).  Back to stumbling like an idiot through the documentation and tutorials that I CAN find…

Image Attachments
DazDocDownloadError.jpg

Posted: 29 July 2012 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1548
Joined  2008-01-01

If you already have Hexagon, you have the documentation in the Hex install directory under “Docs” - the videos don’t work, but they were never worth much anyhow, apart from the cute French accent.

Posted: 29 July 2012 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-27
Roygee - 29 July 2012 09:55 PM

If you already have Hexagon, you have the documentation in the Hex install directory under “Docs” - the videos don’t work, but they were never worth much anyhow, apart from the cute French accent.

Hahahahahahahaha

Posted: 30 July 2012 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  546
Joined  2003-10-09

Unfortunately, with the new forums and site rebuild, much of the documentation is harder to find. It wasn’t the greatest before but at least then I could use Google site search function to find stuff quickly. But I would say with the videos you have, that’s a huge leg up for learning. I’ve only seen the free ones but they explain things very well. It will take some time to learn, especially since you are new to all this, but Carrara is much easier to use than most of the higher end apps that come close or better to its functionality. I do hope they get the links fixed.

I’m sad that sub7th’s fruit bowl tutorial videos are gone. I learned more useful things from watching them than I ever did reading the docs. Thankfully, Holly’s and some other folks’ tutes are still around.

Posted: 30 July 2012 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Google is your friend:

http://bio.attitude.free.fr/SOPHIE/HexagonTutorialUS.pdf

EDIT: Didn’t see Roygee’s post.

Posted: 30 July 2012 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-27

Excellent, thanks.

I suppose I should be asking for links to the best tutorials.  Please feel free to post them!

I have started with the Carrara 7 Pro tutorials by VTC.  So far, it is excellent, but I haven’t got that far yet.  Still in the parts about learning my way around the interface and what the different rooms are for.  The C7 tutorials from VTC was an EXCELLENT tip, they are great so far!

My goal is to be isolating myself from all of humanity tonight and start cramming hard.  After I work through the VTC tutorials for Carrara 7, I’ll then move on to the Infinite Skills tutorials for Carrara 8, which seem a little more complex and move along at a little faster than I’d be comfortable with at this stage.  After going through both of those, hopefully I’ll be up to snuff enough to go through the additional “Advanced” Carrara 8 training that Infinite Skills also released as part of a bundle.

Hopefully, after getting through these 3 video tutorial series, I’ll be able to use Carrara 8 well enough to produce some content that would be publicly acceptable without shame.  grin

Posted: 30 July 2012 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8483
Joined  2009-07-13

red face I started learning Carrara by just clicking on icons
then I printed out the manual (or rather paid the newsagency to print it out)
still my main reference.

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 30 July 2012 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-27

I almost cringe at asking this question, but:

Can anyone steer me to some really impressive realistic Carrara animations for some inspiration?

The reason I ask:  I have seen really impressive stills and images, like cars and architecture and things like that, really realistic stuff.  But when it comes to animation of the DAZ content (Michael, Victoria, Bryce landscapes, etc), it gets horribly “video gamey” and realism just takes a nosedive.  And I mean, “Veggie Tales”.

Though Carrara seems to be the perfect software to learn with, I must ask:  when taking realism into account on any serious level, particularly with the DAZ content that’s available, what is it that keeps you loyal to Carrara and keeps you from moving on to bigger/badder “industry standard” 3D apps that produce Hollywood-level realism and effects?  I know price is huge, but beyond that, what keeps you loyal to Carrara, even if you’re able to afford moving on to products like C4D, MAX or Maya?  The additional DAZ content?  The “fun little program” thing?  Just curious.

Originally planning on moving on to Max or Maya one day, I’d genuinely love to hear some perspectives on this.  In other words, do your damnedest to sell me on sticking with Carrara once I’ve learned it.  Hammer me with all your best Carrara goodness pitches that you can.  grin

Thanks!

Posted: 30 July 2012 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8483
Joined  2009-07-13

firstly
DO NOT CLICK ON THE YOUTUBE CHANNEL LINK IN MY SIGLINE!!! red face
red face
here are some
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isLuFgNC4CQ all her stuff cool but this was a winner
all his advertisments made in Carrara http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeofsolomon/videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/Alli1Baba/videos more of a slideshow of art but lots of cool DS3 (not4) collada exports of dynamic cloth rendered in Carrara.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61wxc6X_hRY cool short by PhilW
Dartanbecks dabblings http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmDeVOl2YsQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5K-aalTTLw Age of Armour
lots more, finding it hard searching with multiple windows on my Android, will add to list later
also impossible for me to access the old forum or I could give heaps of links!!

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 30 July 2012 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Ease of use, price and the ability to use DAZ content keeps me with Carrara and Studio. I would’ve gone to 3ds Max long ago if I could afford it and the plugins you need, and could figure out how to get DAZ content in easily. I gave up on modeling my own content years ago.

Posted: 31 July 2012 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-27
Kevin Sanderson - 30 July 2012 05:12 PM

Ease of use, price and the ability to use DAZ content keeps me with Carrara and Studio. I would’ve gone to 3ds Max long ago if I could afford it and the plugins you need, and could figure out how to get DAZ content in easily. I gave up on modeling my own content years ago.

Now this is a very interesting comment to me, especially as a newcomer.  The first part of the comment, about price and DAZ content is certainly understandable, and I agree - the additional DAZ content and inter-app compatibility is a HUGE appeal to anyone who wants to hit the ground running.  But the additional comment about giving up on modeling is what’s really interesting to me. 

I would consider Carrara to be a fairly simplistic place to start with learning modeling (at least this is my great hope, because I want to model more than anything).  I know modeling is a lot of work, takes a lot of time. 

Here’s what I’m noticing, and where somewhat of a concern of mine lies:

As a simplistic observation from a “noob”, I refer to nearly all the Carrara work out there that makes use of DAZ content.  Aside from the animation itself, which I know is really difficult to get right, the look itself never seems to rise above “very basic video game”.  I’m cautiously including the works of the real gurus out there who are pretty much considered Carrara deity (their work is much better, but still…)

HOWEVER - the little custom modeled stuff, like the included model of the trumpet laying on the ground that comes with Carrara library - that thing renders out like a real photograph!  I mean, it deserves a well-earned “Wow!”.

So I’m baffled - Why on earth do I never see any Michael/Victoria/DAZ content animations made in Carrara looking like the stunningly realistic quality levels of that little trumpet image - or some of the other dazzling architectural renders I’ve seen?  Especially when Carrara does prove that it is capable of doing so?  I’m totally baffled.  Really hoping someone can shed some light (and maybe a few appropriate shaders) on this for me.  Is obtaining such a result that elusive?  Impossible?  Or is it so much work for that level of realism that nobody bothers? 

Posted: 31 July 2012 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-27

I was going through the tutorials last night and within minutes was shading, editing and animating primitives.  Also the use of the library, different rooms (I can already tell that I will never touch the storyboard room), and different rendering settings.  Also played around with render window dimensions and frame rates (I’m an Android software developer, so this is important).

That was before I had 3 kids climbing all over me and pulling me away for different kinds of goofing off.

Fun, can wait to learn a LOT more tonight.  grin

What intimidates me right now and what I want to learn the most:  Modeling and creating scenes.  I don’t have my head wrapped around making scenes, and I have no concept of appropriate scale and how modeled objects and imported content relate into it all.  Hopefully I’ll be over that hurdle tonight.  But I haven’t begun modeling anything yet, so the anticipation is just killing me.

Progress Report:  All I am doing right now is following the VTC Carrara 7 Pro tutorials.  I consider them better than the Infinite Skills tutorials for the absolute beginner who has never been exposed to 3D or computer art in any way.  Between the bite-sized lessons, I’m also doing some “exploratory clicking”, as previously and wisely suggested by Wendy.  After I get through the “VTCs”, I’ll then go through the Infinite Skills tutorials.  After going through those complete sets, I’ll probably have a pretty darned good foundation and will probably be able to convincingly fool someone into thinking that I actually know what I’m doing.  Really pleased with the VTC set so far, and the Carrara interface is absolutely wonderful.  Compared to Maya, it’s childsplay - but not a child’s toy.  Extremely powerful!

Posted: 31 July 2012 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-27

BTW,  Wendy, your work is great!  No need to be modest, you’ve got some great talent!

Question:  How did you do the speech in “Daz Studio speed render test”?  Also, was motion capture of some kind used?  I’d love to know how to do this kind of work, as character animation without speech just isn’t human, and you pulled it off fairly nicely here.  Especialyl with life-like movement.  Too many examples of horribly jerky animation out there with no realism. 

Also, it would be an epic fail if I didn’t mention that “Alien vs Predator dance-off” is hilarious.  grin  Are you willing to share what steps you took for the dance moves?  They’re great!  grin

2 of 12