Digital Art Zone

30 of 48
Carrara 8.5.0.172 Beta Now Available for Download
Posted: 15 December 2012 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 436 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5959
Joined  2007-12-04

Okay, I’d like to apologize for losing my cool there. Error frustration got the best of me after losing some really cool animations.
Using pretty much the same sort of objects and techniques, I’ve been having great success with what I’m working on now - by saving after each fairly major change. Like; After I got the scene set up I saved under its temporary scene name. Added, tweaked, and animated the fog and lights and saved. Added my main character (.car file) saved under the new animation scene name. Imported an aniBlock walk cycle and saved. Deleted various hip keyframes, all of the arms keyframes and tweaked the whole thing to become a ‘hurry down the stairs’ loop - saved… all of which saved successfully. Now I’ll turn the loop into an NLA clip and try saving again.

The reason I felt the urge to come back here and apologize, however, is that I don’t want to accidentally mislead anyone into thinking that this build is any less than exceptional. C8.5 beta is truly amazing at build 172. I just love it and most people that I know are reporting it as running very stable on Windows. As I can’t ever see spending more for a Mac than it costs me to build a super-computer that runs something else for an OS, I tend to skip the Mac OS-related comments - no disrespect meant towards Mac. I just enjoy having the ability to build and configure my machines myself, and that doesn’t fit with Mac OS philosophy.

Damn… got too deep on that whole thing.

Point is, I love my Carrara and I love what those super awesome devs are getting it to do - so,
Thanks!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 16 December 2012 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 437 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Sometime after creating all of the rest of my NLA clips, the error came back losing everything I made since the time of my last post

I’ll go back to my last save - sometime tomorrow as I’m tired - and try to narrow it down further.
If I can find ways to reproduce it, I’ll file a detailed Bug Report - or add to an existing report of the same nature - whichever seems best.

Edit:
Just opened the last save, and the first of my NLA clips, Walking down the stairs, was saved with it.

I imported the next three sequences I needed converting them to NLA clips as I went.
Upon finishing the clips, but before applying them to the track, I was able to pull off an error-free save! smile
Now I can sleep and pick this up again tomorrow.

BTW, looks really cool having the Heroine scoot down the steps and arching around to gaze down the final flight, where she knows that one helluva fight is just waiting for her down there. She sure is a brave little thing! And thanks to GoFigure hiring a top-notch martial artist, she’ll likely win - or at the very least leave some good bruises on the opposition! lol

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 16 December 2012 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 438 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Tried reproducing the error many times.
It’s not that the error hasn’t been occurring, but it doesn’t seem to be consistent.
It appeared to be that, as I would add NLA clips and match them to their previous Hip position, the error would prevent the save.
I opened a blank scene, added the same character and added all of the NLA clips that I’m trying to use. Saved fine.
I saved the scene I’m trying to use without any characters in it (previously) and so I opened that and added the character, saved
added NLA clips, but not to the track - saved
Added clips to the track and matched positions - error on save
tried the same thing again - saved fine

I really wish I could better isolate this error problem - because it’s a real pain.

Signature 

Posted: 16 December 2012 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 439 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Anyone hear from Spooky or Bfurner lately?
They usually have something to say about what they’re doing.

Signature 

Posted: 17 December 2012 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 440 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  428
Joined  2007-05-27

I have been so busy keeping up with DS and Poser stuff for work that I neglected Carrara for while. This last weekend I took some fun time to play with Carrara 8.5. Wow! Lots of improvements! The soft body physics are leaps and bounds better than in 8.1. I’m really looking forward to doing more in Carrara soon.

Signature 

My DAZ Products
My 3d freebies
My YouTube Page

Posted: 01 January 2013 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 441 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  157
Joined  2008-05-12

be nice if they told us how much they intend to shaft us (cost us) for this point release

Posted: 01 January 2013 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 442 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4620
Joined  2004-07-01
CoolArtDude - 01 January 2013 11:23 AM

be nice if they told us how much they intend to shaft us (cost us) for this point release

how about $20 to $30 sound rolleyes

Posted: 01 January 2013 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 443 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
Age of Armour - 17 December 2012 06:09 PM

I have been so busy keeping up with DS and Poser stuff for work that I neglected Carrara for while. This last weekend I took some fun time to play with Carrara 8.5. Wow! Lots of improvements! The soft body physics are leaps and bounds better than in 8.1. I’m really looking forward to doing more in Carrara soon.

Just wait ‘till you spend more and more time in it. You’ll freak on how awesome our Carrara has become! Even the little things are a big improvement.

Signature 

Posted: 01 January 2013 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 444 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  609
Joined  2008-02-22
Dartanbeck - 16 December 2012 02:31 PM

Anyone hear from Spooky or Bfurner lately?
They usually have something to say about what they’re doing.

Hmmm…at least spooky looks to be around, but not very vocal lately.  Bfurner…that does not look good :(

Are these the Carrara guys?

DAZ_bfurner:
Last Visit —  November 06, 2012 11:07 AM
Most Recent Forum Post —November 06, 2012 10:46 AM

DAZ_spooky
Last Visit—  December 31, 2012 11:06 AM
Most Recent Forum Post—November 30, 2012 02:36 PM

Signature 

+800 or so old forum posts, just so you know I’m not a newb!  tongue laugh

Posted: 01 January 2013 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 445 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-22

It appears Blaine may have moved on, per his Linked In page…?

Signature 

Posted: 01 January 2013 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 446 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-22

Uh…given the apparent lack of communication here, should I risk 8.5, since the serial number ends in less than 2 weeks?  ...or just stick with 8.1?  Will 8.5 just die after that date?

Signature 

Posted: 02 January 2013 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 447 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  473
Joined  2003-10-09

I’d go ahead and get it. They’ve been updating the serial number for months now.

I thought Blaine was part of marketing at one time and involved with announcing sales, coupons, new content and such. Always saw him posting in The Commons and DAZ Studio. I don’t think he was a Carrara developer. I think Spooky is a dev. This has been a vacation period for many so maybe Spooky was on vacation. With Genesis issues getting wrapped up, and Kodiak noticing German language being assigned to Carrara in the tracker, we might be seeing 8.5 released early this year.

Posted: 02 January 2013 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 448 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2007-10-15

Wasn’t Blaine the Carrara Product Manager or something? I thought I saw that in an interview. Maybe not….

Posted: 02 January 2013 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 449 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2007-10-15

Here’s his resume stuff from LinkedIn. Sounds like he was Product Manger and “Evangelist”, responsible for 4 software brands. Maybe all of D|S, Carrara, Hex and Bryce? And maybe the “November 2012” ending date just means it hasn’t been updated since then, or maybe he really did leave a couple of months ago.

Product Manager / Product Evangelest
DAZ 3D, Inc.

Privately Held; 11-50 employees; Animation industry

October 2007 – November 2012 (5 years 2 months) Salt Lake City, UT

• Develop customer use case stories to be used for marketing and PR Coordinate PR efforts to help publish artist images and tutorials Evangelize the companies achievements internally and to our customers
• Leader of cross functional teams to manage 4 software brands working directly with customers, coordinated 3 development teams and the QA groups to assure revenue success.
• Experience using Agile development techniques.
• Determine product direction based on new technology, customer input and schedule.
• Generate strategy and execution of product road-maps, communicate plans to executive team for the DAZ 3D software product lines.
• Responsible for coordination directly with executives, marketing, operations and engineering.
• Assemble customer user groups and steering committees establishing expert users for input on product direction while managing conflicting priorities.

Posted: 03 January 2013 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 450 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2012-02-21

Hey all,

BFurner is no longer with DAZ3D. Carrara 8.5 serial code is updated each month. You will get an updated serial number each month. We do not have a time frame for a new release of the software at this time. But are still supporting what is available at this time.

30 of 48