3 of 48
Carrara 8.5.0.172 Beta Now Available for Download
Posted: 01 August 2012 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  245
Joined  2003-10-09
thoromyr - 01 August 2012 06:35 AM
SmallFry - 01 August 2012 06:24 AM

While rendering a scene with lots of ice, I found I was getting a memory allocation error when Caustics was turned on. Nothing special, just the default settings, but it’d get through about 12% of the render and then crash.

Using the latest 8.5 update. Currently rendering with Caustics turned off to see if it might be something else. I’ll file a bug report.

I doubt it is the caustics. I’ve done several renders with caustics enabled and in fact have one going now. Can’t say that I recommend caustics with dynamic hair in the scene (one render took 14.5 days), but it renders for me without crashing.

Let’s see… I had Sky Light enabled, Indirect Light enabled and set up for Ambient Occlusion only, a couple of Anything Glows lights, and Caustics. All this on a WinXP PC that’s about 5 years old. It’s a scene filled with ice slides, a Stonemason building set, about 6 LoRez figures, 2 Mike3 figures with clothing, and a partridge in a pear tree. I was able to render an image in the previous release but I thought I’d add all sorts of bells and whistles to see what it’d look like. Here’s the render before it crashed:

Image Attachments
Doc1.jpg

Posted: 01 August 2012 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0

While rendering a scene with lots of ice, I found I was getting a memory allocation error when Caustics was turned on. Nothing special, just the default settings, but it’d get through about 12% of the render and then crash.

Using the latest 8.5 update. Currently rendering with Caustics turned off to see if it might be something else. I’ll file a bug report.

EDIT: you posted before me, answering some of my questions….

Looks cool!

And if you need to complete the scene maybe you could reduce the Maximum Ray Depth in the Render Room?

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 01 August 2012 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
thoromyr - 01 August 2012 05:56 AM
de3an - 31 July 2012 09:52 PM

Holly and Thoromyr are both running Mac OS 10.7.4. Holly is experiencing the problem, while Thoromyr is not.
If OpenGL is updated as part of the OS then they should both be running the same version. However, if different versions of OpenGL are installed based on which graphics card is installed, maybe that could be it. Or maybe different graphics cards themselves could be a problem.

I’m using a 15” mid 2009 macbook pro with nvidia geforce 9400M. OpenGL Driver Monitor 1.5, OpenGL Profiler 4.2 and OpenGL Shader Builder 2.1 (system information, Software > Applications).

Mac Mini (early 2009)  NVIDIA GeForce 9400… (the other items you list I am about a .x version behind yours, and some threw warnings when I tried to launch them (version mismatch)... Can I force an update on my OpenGL drivers?

Heard about 32bit issues on video drivers in Mountain Lion so I did not upgrade yet. Only change for me is the 172 beta.

Signature 

Posted: 01 August 2012 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  245
Joined  2003-10-09
holly wetcircuit - 01 August 2012 09:17 AM

EDIT: you posted before me, answering some of my questions….

Looks cool!

And if you need to complete the scene maybe you could reduce the Maximum Ray Depth in the Render Room?

Thanks, holly. I’ll try that next.

Do you think performance might improve if I render the Caustics and Ambient Occlusion to separate layers?

Posted: 01 August 2012 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  409
Joined  2008-08-29
SmallFry - 01 August 2012 09:06 AM
thoromyr - 01 August 2012 06:35 AM

I doubt it is the caustics. I’ve done several renders with caustics enabled and in fact have one going now. Can’t say that I recommend caustics with dynamic hair in the scene (one render took 14.5 days), but it renders for me without crashing.

Let’s see… I had Sky Light enabled, Indirect Light enabled and set up for Ambient Occlusion only, a couple of Anything Glows lights, and Caustics. All this on a WinXP PC that’s about 5 years old. It’s a scene filled with ice slides, a Stonemason building set, about 6 LoRez figures, 2 Mike3 figures with clothing, and a partridge in a pear tree. I was able to render an image in the previous release but I thought I’d add all sorts of bells and whistles to see what it’d look like. Here’s the render before it crashed:

Sounds like you are trying to do more than Carrara 32-bit can handle. I’m guessing 32-bit from your WinXP comment, but obviously if you are running 64-bit this doesn’t apply. I frequently hit the limits of 32-bit memory addressing in Carrara and have to move the project to my macbook where I have 64-bit capability.

Note, scenes that render in a previous version may not in the latest. I hit this within one from C7.2 that I tried to re-render when C8 came out—C8 requires more memory and it simply can’t render the scene. I wouldn’t be surprised if C8.5 requires more memory than C8. If you are on 32-bit you should be looking at moving to 64-bit.

Signature 

Swamp Living Never Felt So Good

Posted: 01 August 2012 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  367
Joined  0
holly wetcircuit - 01 August 2012 09:41 AM
thoromyr - 01 August 2012 05:56 AM
de3an - 31 July 2012 09:52 PM

Holly and Thoromyr are both running Mac OS 10.7.4. Holly is experiencing the problem, while Thoromyr is not.
If OpenGL is updated as part of the OS then they should both be running the same version. However, if different versions of OpenGL are installed based on which graphics card is installed, maybe that could be it. Or maybe different graphics cards themselves could be a problem.

I’m using a 15” mid 2009 macbook pro with nvidia geforce 9400M. OpenGL Driver Monitor 1.5, OpenGL Profiler 4.2 and OpenGL Shader Builder 2.1 (system information, Software > Applications).

Mac Mini (early 2009)  NVIDIA GeForce 9400… (the other items you list I am about a .x version behind yours, and some threw warnings when I tried to launch them (version mismatch)... Can I force an update on my OpenGL drivers?

Heard about 32bit issues on video drivers in Mountain Lion so I did not upgrade yet. Only change for me is the 172 beta.

Holly,
Normally, Apple delivers the updates for OpenGL and graphic card drivers through the Software Update feature of the Mac OS. I believe that different versions may be installed based on each user’s hardware configuration.

The other items, OpenGL Driver Monitor, OpenGL Profiler, and OpenGL Shader Builder, are just utilities and are not required. They are installed as part of Apple’s Xcode Developer Tools, and are an optional install. The version that you have installed is probably no longer compatible with your current Mac OS. I believe that you can download the current version for free from the App Store (if you have any use for them). Look for Xcode Developer Tools.

As far as forcing an OpenGL driver update on an Mac… I don’t think so. Even if you can find an installer that claims to do it, it might not install the correct software for your hardware configuration. Apple tends to tweak its software to customize it for their hardware.

If you have DAZ Studio installed, you can check your video card and OpenGL info by going to its Help menu and choosing Troubleshooting>About Your Video Card…

Image Attachments
DAZStudioHelpMenu.png
DAZStudioVideoInfo.png
 Signature 

-Dean

DAZ Gallery: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/1922/

Posted: 01 August 2012 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2003-10-09

When I click the link to the store, the price for the beta is 199.95, even though the text on the store page says it’s free.  It retains the 199.95 price in the shopping cart.

Signature 

My Website: The Vernian Era
My Renderosity Store
My Renderosity Gallery

Posted: 01 August 2012 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  367
Joined  0
Michael C - 01 August 2012 04:40 PM

When I click the link to the store, the price for the beta is 199.95, even though the text on the store page says it’s free.  It retains the 199.95 price in the shopping cart.

Sure enough!
When I downloaded it a few days ago it said $0. Something has changed.

Signature 

-Dean

DAZ Gallery: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/1922/

Posted: 01 August 2012 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

Maybe you are only allowed to “buy” it once?

I believe by putting it in the store they are taking the beta public again (not just for C8 owners). That is surely a sign that C8.5 will be officially released soon.

Signature 

Posted: 02 August 2012 01:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2011-05-27

Ugh… is that good?
Not that I don’t want it, but there still seems to be a ton of things, Genesis related, that continue to simply not work for me. 
I’m eager to buy 8.5, but not if it’s anywhere close to the state of the current build.

Posted: 02 August 2012 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2004-12-26

Ok so i clicked the link for the beta version and the shopping cart is charging me 199.99

Posted: 02 August 2012 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  278
Joined  2007-07-13
mrgraphix - 02 August 2012 06:29 AM

Ok so i clicked the link for the beta version and the shopping cart is charging me 199.99

So do you already own C8 pro?

Signature 

- Live Long and Prosper -
My DAZ Gallery: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/1589

Posted: 02 August 2012 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  299
Joined  2008-10-01

Right, so it’s not just me then! Something has changed in the store. Someone mentioned in another thread that resetting their 8.1 version put the 8.5 beta into their downloads, so I tried that yesterday too. To date nothing has appeared in my downloads, so it appears access to version 8.1 has been removed as well. Something is definitely afoot! No biggie - I’ll wait for the full release. It’s not like I’ve got time to do much at the moment, being completely absorbed with the Olympics!

Posted: 02 August 2012 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2003-10-09

I own 8 Pro (as I have upgraded every version of Carrara since the start and each version of RayDream before that - big investment).  Regarding purchasing 8.5:  As I’ve posted here earlier, ther are still bugs in 8.  If DAZ sells 8.5 as an upgrade I think they are obligated to fix the 8-pro bugs for free.  During the entire Raydream-Carrare history there was only one point-five version that was sold to current owners; that was RayDream 5.5, which was the final version.  I hope this isn’t the last Carrara version so that DAZ can exploit DAZ Studio.

Signature 

My Website: The Vernian Era
My Renderosity Store
My Renderosity Gallery

Posted: 02 August 2012 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  299
Joined  2008-10-01
Michael C - 02 August 2012 07:00 AM

I own 8 Pro (as I have upgraded every version of Carrara since the start and each version of RayDream before that - big investment).  Regarding purchasing 8.5:  As I’ve posted here earlier, ther are still bugs in 8.  If DAZ sells 8.5 as an upgrade I think they are obligated to fix the 8-pro bugs for free.  During the entire Raydream-Carrare history there was only one point-five version that was sold to current owners; that was RayDream 5.5, which was the final version.  I hope this isn’t the last Carrara version so that DAZ can exploit DAZ Studio.

I wouldn’t worry. Even if they do charge for 8.5, leave it a month and they’ll then give it away! Said he, not even remotely bitter about splashing out on Studio 4 on release! LOL

(No really, I’m not bitter - that was joke)  ((Honest))

3 of 48