14 of 48
Carrara 8.5.0.172 Beta Now Available for Download
Posted: 14 October 2012 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 196 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

Hi Phill smile

can you try loading the genesis figure from the smart content and see how that goes.

DUFF transfer is handier for saving/opening Material presets, or poses etc. but it should be able to transfer a clothed, textured figure as a scene file.

If I remember correctly, the first time you load a genesis, it needs to add all the morphs and that can take some time, but the next genesis will load faster because that’s already done.. also the more morphs you have,.. the larger the imported figure.

It’s certainly possible that the 32 bit system is an issue, but it should be capable of loading the figure and clothing without making carrara crash.

smile

Posted: 14 October 2012 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 197 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-24

Phill smile

I just did a quick test using an M5 genesis with the dragon lord clothing.
during the import process, it peaks at just over 3GB (3.2) although that may differ depending on what genesis morphs are used and need to be projected into the clothing for auto-fit.

Image Attachments
loading_duf.jpg

Posted: 14 October 2012 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 198 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1194
Joined  2005-04-12

Thanks, 3Dage, helpful and useful info as always! I thought it was a memory issue and peaking over 3GB for the import would bust my system.  It is a shame that it seems to be so inefficient. One of things I always found with Carrara was that it handles hi-poly models well, however it seems that DS handles Genesis & Duf files much more efficiently than Carrara, at least in its current incarnation.

I’m not going to lose any sleep over it as I tend to use Carrara for most things directly anyway - I’ll have a look at importing characters or poses, that should be a bit less of a burden on the system.

Posted: 14 October 2012 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 199 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  574
Joined  2007-08-14

I sure hope they fix that before release.

Signature 

These are not the tutorials you’re looking for. Move along.
My old profile

Posted: 14 October 2012 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 200 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-12

OK, I loaded Genesis directly in Carrara and then loaded the character from a .duf file - that worked fine. Then I tried adding Aldora Hair and Carrara crashed - just stopped working and I had to force a program shutdown. So I added my own Addison Hair for Genesis (at least that worked OK!) and tried the Genesis Bikini top, and that loaded but the autofit was not correct as it was intersecting with the mesh at a number of areas. With no smoothing modifier as in DS, again Carrara loses out. And I can’t set it up in DS and export due to memory limitations.  So all in all a fairly frustrating time.  It all seemed to take a lot longer in Carrara than DS too, the opposite of what I find working with other characters.

Daz have said that they are close to a release version - I really hope so, but based on my experiences this weekend, it does not seem like it to me.

Posted: 15 October 2012 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 201 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1054
Joined  2007-10-17
swordvisions - 12 October 2012 03:53 PM

so we need to reset our downloads and we can apply the duf directly in carrara 8.5 which we could not do when they were .dsf?

Carrara 8.5 loads dsf, but the problem was the materials and most of the poses were DSA.

Posted: 15 October 2012 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 202 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-24

PhilW

With no smoothing modifier as in DS, again Carrara loses out.

There are smoothing / subdivision controls in the options when you select the “Actor” level..

I often find that the open GL preview will show poke through, but the render doesn’t,.. because genesis is Smoothed already,
It’s just not just not visible in the assembly room unless you render an area.

Image Attachments
smoothing.jpg

Posted: 15 October 2012 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 203 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1431
Joined  2008-01-01

I was hoping that would be the equivalent of the smoothing modifier in DS - but it’s not.  Can’t find any method of fixing pokethrough, either by moving verts or morphing on a dress i made for Genesis, which fits perfectly in DS using the smoothing modifier, but has pokethrough all over the place in Carrara.  Even though I made it, it is protected!

I guess the only solution is to take it back to Hex via DS and make the morph there?

Posted: 15 October 2012 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 204 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  574
Joined  2007-08-14
Roygee - 15 October 2012 02:35 PM

I was hoping that would be the equivalent of the smoothing modifier in DS - but it’s not.  Can’t find any method of fixing pokethrough, either by moving verts or morphing on a dress i made for Genesis, which fits perfectly in DS using the smoothing modifier, but has pokethrough all over the place in Carrara.  Even though I made it, it is protected!

I guess the only solution is to take it back to Hex via DS and make the morph there?

What exactly do you mean? How did you make the item, and how did your attempt at making a morph fail? I did a simple morph for a Poser item not long ago, so it’s possible.

You’re not the only one hoping to see the smoothing and collision detection feature in DS implemented in Carrara as well.

https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=44197

Signature 

These are not the tutorials you’re looking for. Move along.
My old profile

Posted: 15 October 2012 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 205 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-12

3Dage - thanks for the hint, I was aware of that, but the DS modifier also has a collision element that cures poke-through, and this has no direct equivalent in the Carrara implementation. I’d post an image to show you the issue, but I fear it would fall outside ToS…

Posted: 18 October 2012 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 206 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6183
Joined  2007-12-04
PhilW - 15 October 2012 03:59 PM

I’d post an image to show you the issue, but I fear it would fall outside ToS…

LOL!!!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 18 October 2012 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 207 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-12

Further to my previous issues, I just tried setting up a scene directly in Carrara with Genesis and a couple of items from the MBS set (pants and waistcoat), plus my Addison Hair for Genesis. Some of the morphs in the waistcoat were not responding, but I had not been through DS to ensure that the Content Management System was fully synched. Thinking this may be the issue, I went to save to carry on later, and Carrara simply stopped responding. Program manager is showing Carrara working at 50% (on a dual core machine, so just using one core) and memory is within normal limits at 75% so that should not be the cause of the crash.

No, wait a minute, it has saved and is back, but it must have taken 15-20 mins to save the scene…not good.

Posted: 18 October 2012 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 208 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

What exactly do you mean? How did you make the item, and how did your attempt at making a morph fail? I did a simple morph for a Poser item not long ago, so it’s possible.

I posted a full response to this, with pics.  It certainly was on the site, I saw it after posting, but now see it has disappeared - can’t imagine why it seems to have been removed - no TOS breach involved at all.

Posted: 19 October 2012 12:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 209 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2109
Joined  2008-01-28

hmm
maybe you are encroaching on Daz profits in some way?

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 19 October 2012 01:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 210 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

Yeah…like explaining how to change engine oil will bring the motor industry to it’s knees?

Basically it was about how a dress, made for V4, was converted to Tri-Ax and fitted to Genesis basic female using the transfer utility and smoothing modifier in DS, but when exported as .duf doesn’t fit in Carrara.  All in support of Beta testing and the request to include the smoothing modifier in Carrara.smile

14 of 48