Digital Art Zone

2 of 48
Carrara 8.5.0.172 Beta Now Available for Download
Posted: 31 July 2012 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  398
Joined  0

Since thoromyr is not having the problem on his Lion instillation, it must be something besides a purely Mac OS incompatibility.
Maybe it’s an OpenGL thing. If those who are seeing the problem could change their Interactive Renderer setting from “OpenGL” to “Software” and test spot rendering again, it might give another data point for troubleshooting.

There’s also an Open GL setting in the Carrara Preferences called “Use Display Lists” which might have an affect.

Image Attachments
interactive_renderer.png
Use_Display_Lists.png
 Signature 

-Dean

DAZ Gallery: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/1922/

Posted: 31 July 2012 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  209
Joined  2005-08-31

Dean,

I changed to software from OpenGL and tried both settings fro OpenGL in the preferences and I got the same white block.

Posted: 31 July 2012 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1639
Joined  0

Software and OpenGL make no difference. Spot Preview uses Carrara’s actual renderer with settings borrowed from the render room.

The issue is somewhere in the Preview window’s redraw function, as if Carrara knows to clear the tile of the OpenGL preview, but doesn’t replace it with Carrara’s render. Instead filling the tiles with white. Carrara is calculating the render, but not displaying it.

In the Shader Preview (unlike Spot Render), after the entire preview is filled with white tiles, Carrara’s renderer blinks in…. Normally what would happen is the tiles would fill in with Carrara’s renderer as each completes.

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 31 July 2012 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  383
Joined  2008-08-29

Possibly a graphics driver related issue? I’ll have to check my hardware to see just what it is (all I can remember at present is that it is a macbook pro, probably 2009 or 2010)

Signature 

Swamp Living Never Felt So Good

Posted: 31 July 2012 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Joined  0

This thread got merged with the Carrara 8.5.0.172 Beta thread, which is now unlocked. I wonder if we’re all still subscribed.
The images got messed up though. (I fixed mine, Holly will have to edit hers.)

Signature 

-Dean

Posted: 31 July 2012 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  0

I wonder if the type of graphics card installed could be the issue.
Mine is a ATI Radeon HD 4870.

Signature 

-Dean

Posted: 31 July 2012 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1874
Joined  2006-02-17

The issues may not be Carrara.  There are lots of sites with complaints about Mountain Lion having OpenGL problems (phoronix and others).

Could be another Apple screw up.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 31 July 2012 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
Kendall Sears - 31 July 2012 09:14 PM

The issues may not be Carrara.  There are lots of sites with complaints about Mountain Lion having OpenGL problems (phoronix and others).

EDIT: http://renderingpipeline.com/2012/07/macos-x-opengl-driver-status/  lists some specific bugs related to rendering.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 31 July 2012 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  0

Kendall

Holly and Thoromyr are both running Mac OS 10.7.4. Holly is experiencing the problem, while Thoromyr is not.
If OpenGL is updated as part of the OS then they should both be running the same version. However, if different versions of OpenGL are installed based on which graphics card is installed, maybe that could be it. Or maybe different graphics cards themselves could be a problem.

Signature 

-Dean

Posted: 31 July 2012 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
de3an - 31 July 2012 09:52 PM

Kendall

Holly and Thoromyr are both running Mac OS 10.7.4. Holly is experiencing the problem, while Thoromyr is not.
If OpenGL is updated as part of the OS then they should both be running the same version. However, if different versions of OpenGL are installed based on which graphics card is installed, maybe that could be it. Or maybe different graphics cards themselves could be a problem.

There are different OpenGL versions for Intel GMA, nVidia, and ATI GPU chipsets.  All are layered on the lower level OpenGL subsystem from Apple, for which the major bugs are known (see my followup to myself above for a small list of bugs that exist in both Lion and Mtn Lion for the lower level).  Phoronix has kept up on the OpenGL issues for both OSx and Linux and many articles can be found there.

In this case I was responding specifically about the question about Mtn Lion and Carrara.

Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 01 August 2012 03:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2008-10-01

I’d like to check out the new beta, but how to aquire it is eluding me at the moment! It says it’s a zero dollar store item, like the Studio RC builds, but shows in fact as a 200 dollar store item whenever I follow the link. Does anyone know how I can download this beta without having to pay for Carrara again?!!

As a member of The Prime Order of Stupids I am naturally assuming that I am the problem here. All help gratefully received grin

Posted: 01 August 2012 04:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  157
Joined  2009-06-17

Have the M5 and V5 packages received updates so that the preset materials will work in Carrara 8.5?

It seems like the default Genesis textures are working -  they actually showed up in the “my library” and loaded the textures - but I am not sure if those were materials or whole presets (genesis male w textures and genesis female with textures).

Also it looks as though the genesis poses are working now (I don’t think they worked before…)

Honestly I’m starting to feel senile.  It’s hard to remember which version could and can do what - with Daz 4.5 beta and Carrara 8.5 in beta.

Good thing Zbrush 4r4 is keeping me busy…

Signature 

My DeviantArt Gallery http://namrettek.deviantart.com/

Posted: 01 August 2012 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-08-29
de3an - 31 July 2012 09:52 PM

I’m using a 15” mid 2009 macbook pro with nvidia geforce 9400M. OpenGL Driver Monitor 1.5, OpenGL Profiler 4.2 and OpenGL Shader Builder 2.1 (system information, Software > Applications).

Signature 

Posted: 01 August 2012 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  232
Joined  2003-10-09

While rendering a scene with lots of ice, I found I was getting a memory allocation error when Caustics was turned on. Nothing special, just the default settings, but it’d get through about 12% of the render and then crash.

Using the latest 8.5 update. Currently rendering with Caustics turned off to see if it might be something else. I’ll file a bug report.

Posted: 01 August 2012 06:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-08-29
SmallFry - 01 August 2012 06:24 AM

While rendering a scene with lots of ice, I found I was getting a memory allocation error when Caustics was turned on. Nothing special, just the default settings, but it’d get through about 12% of the render and then crash.

Using the latest 8.5 update. Currently rendering with Caustics turned off to see if it might be something else. I’ll file a bug report.

I doubt it is the caustics. I’ve done several renders with caustics enabled and in fact have one going now. Can’t say that I recommend caustics with dynamic hair in the scene (one render took 14.5 days), but it renders for me without crashing.

Signature 

2 of 48