Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
OT - Font Problem :
Posted: 26 July 2012 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  506
Joined  2004-06-12

I installed a new font on Windows 7 yesterday (Helvetica) and it seems to be effecting the font used on the DAZ website.  I get this awfully bad tiny font with outrageously uneven spacing, and the thing is, the font I’m getting on the DAZ site isn’t even related to the font I installed, it’s a different font.  Just to be sure it was down to the font installation, I deleted the font and the DAZ website font went back to normal.  When I reinstalled the font, it screwed up the DAZ website font again.

Interesting to note is that it’s only effecting the DAZ website, not others, but I still can’t figure out why installing a font that isn’t being used by the website is being altered by installing a totally different font.

Any ideas of what’s going on here, something I’ve done wrong or perhaps an issue with the site?

Posted: 26 July 2012 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

PS:  I just noticed with the preview that italics are using the normal italics font but the rest of it is screwed-up.

Posted: 26 July 2012 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7493
Joined  2004-07-21

What web browser are you using?  Can you do a screenshot showing what the dad site looks like with font installed?

Signature 

Hello, Sweetie!
click me to save my dragon eggs

Who is cuter Loki or Thor?

Posted: 26 July 2012 04:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

See difference between attached images:

Image Attachments
Without.jpg
With.jpg

Posted: 26 July 2012 04:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

Sorry Miss Bad Wolf, I cross-posted with you, I’m using Chrome.

Posted: 26 July 2012 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15251
Joined  2003-10-09

Apparently a known problem with that particular font.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/2646/#34220

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 26 July 2012 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

Cheers Pam, but damn, can’t anything go right?

I mean I came to the conclusion that I need to give up on 3D quite a while ago because nothing seems to do what it’s supposed to do - just a total waste of ten years of my life as far as I’m concerned.  But bloody hell, it’s getting a bit much when something as simple as even a font is an issue as well.  Damn thing, I mean for crying out loud, it’s Helvetica, probably the most respected font in existence - and even that causes issues!

Pain in the f*cking arse, all of it.

Do you know whether DAZ plan to bring back the old font and smileys? - If they did then maybe it would fix it for all of us who have Helvetica installed (and I’m guessing that’s quite a few of us).  The new forum font is less legible than the old one anyway, and so are the smileys.  I’d appreciate it if you could point this issue out to the web team because the forum looks pathetic when Helvetica is installed, and I can’t uninstall it because I need it.

DAZ, please install the font and smileys from the old forum because both were infinitely better than what we have now.  The font was more legible and the smileys gave a better impression of emotion (the new smileys have to rank as some of the worst I’ve ever seen - and that’s saying something).

Posted: 27 July 2012 03:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1547
Joined  2007-12-10

I think if you try a different brand of Helvetica, you won’t have a problem with it (if indeed your problem is the same as the one I had).
As a graphic designer, Helvetica is quite essential for my system and I have many different versions running on my Mac.

It was only that particular font file that cause me the problem and it wasn’t restricted to the Daz forum/website.
It also affected my iPhoto menus (though no other Apple software that I was aware of) and I think it was more a problem with the font itself than it’s compatibility with Daz.

On a more positive note, it was that problem that first got me back and involved with the forums again after an absence of five months or so. grin

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 28 July 2012 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

Welcome back, and yup, that does sound like it could be the problem, but if you are having the same trouble even on a totally different OS, can you tell me which version you have so that I can avoid it?

As far as I’m aware, the official one is made by Linotype but I’m not sure what my version is.  Linotype want thirty quid for each variant, and even if I paid for the few variants I need, there’s no guarantee it would solve it and I can’t imagine them refunding if it screws up.

Did you get your Helvetica from Linotype?

Posted: 28 July 2012 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  103
Joined  2011-02-06

I didn’t noticed that i don’t have Helvetica font on my system lol and i’m doing fine so far smile
My fonts folder have almost 300mb of fonts mostly renamed (except Adobe fonts which is not recommended to modify or rename) so i know the theme to be used for ,such as Love,Hand,Asian,Persian..etc grin
I have Font Lab studio 5 and i can rename my fonts or create new ones as i want grin
Feel free to delete or simply remove the font from your system and save it somewhere rared on computer, or you can go to your web browser and set a different font to display on web smile (in Chrome, the default fonts can be changed in Settings>Show advanced settings…>Web Content , click on “Customize fonts…”)
My Chrome is set by default on Times New Roman font for Standard font and Serif font; i guess your chrome will switch to Arial or Tahoma or Times New Roman , fonts very commonly used on the web and you should have these if you delete Helvetica grin.
If you really like/want/have good old memories about this font and it’s broken too and it’s not copyrighted, try to rar it and add as attachment and i will try to use auto-fix(repair) tool or to convert it in true type if you want grin (im on 32-bit system idk if for 64bit will work)
You can find lots of fonts on websites, some are really cool , some looks like are made in rush lol but i can’t complain since it’s free grin.
Anyway feel free to delete it if u want, it’s not the end of the world without a font and also Helvetica it’s not an important system font for windows (VGA fonts are very important-do not delete those) but for Mac it is,  http://indesignsecrets.com/removing-nonessential-system-fonts-in-leopard.php or http://www.jklstudios.com/misc/osxfonts.html but in leopard.
If you need more fonts, CG graphic designers definitely does, you may try to visit abstractfonts.com (+13000 free fonts)
You can see this article too related to what you should NOT delete http://www.scrapjazz.com/topics/Computer_Center/Fonts/43.php
Adobe PDF docs embeds(attach-compress) the fonts used in typing by the writer into the pdf file, this is why we can see cool fonts which even are not isntalled on our systems.

Have fun, good luck and happy rendering smile

Image Attachments
fonts1.jpg
fonts2.jpg
fonts3.jpg
 Signature 

“If the facts don’t fit the theory, change the facts..” :lol:
( Albert Einstein )

Posted: 29 July 2012 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

Thanks for that, Cris, much appreciated :-)

I’m on PC, but no worries about the system fonts, I’m always careful not to touch those.  I found a free unbranded version of Helvetica so maybe that’s why it’s screwing up for me.  I don’t need it for system reasons, I just like the font and need it for design reasons.  If I knew for sure the Linotype version worked properly, I’d be more prepared to buy that one.  The problem is with the unbranded stuff there’s no way of knowing which author it is, and therefore, which version to avoid.

Thanks for the tips, I’ll rename it and reinstall it, see if that fixes anything and let you know how I get on.

Posted: 29 July 2012 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Well I don’t know about you, but I would tend to avoid a website with those particular numerals in the title, but I may be being paranoid because I once got dome malware that was lingering on a hithertoo trusted website, just waiting to be triggerd by typing in those numerals in a password I had been given to access a download on the site. The person wh sent me the passwiord had his entire portfolio corrupted as well, because of using the numerals instead of saying sept 2011 in the pssword.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge

Posted: 29 July 2012 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10
pumeco - 28 July 2012 09:01 AM

Welcome back, and yup, that does sound like it could be the problem, but if you are having the same trouble even on a totally different OS, can you tell me which version you have so that I can avoid it?

As far as I’m aware, the official one is made by Linotype but I’m not sure what my version is.  Linotype want thirty quid for each variant, and even if I paid for the few variants I need, there’s no guarantee it would solve it and I can’t imagine them refunding if it screws up.

Did you get your Helvetica from Linotype?

Sadly I don’t have the font file anymore as I deleted it completely so it wouldn’t accidentally get put back on.
It was a font I got supplied along with a job I was working on and if I remember rightly, it was only the ‘Helvetica Black’ file that was at fault (but I still got rid of the whole family).

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 29 July 2012 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10
chohole - 29 July 2012 06:27 AM

Well I don’t know about you, but I would tend to avoid a website with those particular numerals in the title, but I may be being paranoid because I once got dome malware that was lingering on a hithertoo trusted website, just waiting to be triggerd by typing in those numerals in a password I had been given to access a download on the site. The person wh sent me the passwiord had his entire portfolio corrupted as well, because of using the numerals instead of saying sept 2011 in the pssword.

I use this website for some cool free fonts: dafont.com. It’s always been reliable for me.
font911 is also reputable though I haven’t used it as much.

You don’t need to sign in or use passwords for either site. grin

Signature 

Posted: 29 July 2012 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

yes, as I said I could be being paranoid, but the experience with another site, and a password with 911 in it has made me very cautious.

Signature 

Posted: 29 July 2012 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

@Pam
You do have your uses sometimes, and I have to say you’re quite right.  Dumb as it sounds I never really took notice of the title of the website (even when I posted the link).  I just found it on Google and boomarked it because it never forced me to sign-up or anything, seems like a nice enough site to be honest.  I haven’t got any malware from it, but I just noticed the licence says “Conditionally free (For legal owners)”.  I mean what the hell is that supposed to mean if it’s a legal download?  If it were not free then why would someone download their version if they are already a legal owner?  Surely they would have a copy from the original source.

I don’t know what they mean by that, but like I said, screw it - I’ll just have to buy it from Linotype, and if it doesn’t work, I’ll be getting a refund whether they like it or not.  Anyway, I’ve removed the link from my post, just in case, and have deleted the font from my system.  I’ll need the font for commercial use sooner or later, so I’d rather have the original than a clone anyway.

@TheSavage
Interestingly, the website you pointed out does not contain Helvetica, and as the original Helvetica certainly isn’t free, that’s probably a good sign for the website you pointed out - makes me think it’s an honest website - cheers.

1 of 2