Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Toon Pro help! 
Posted: 25 July 2012 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  259
Joined  2006-05-09

I downloaded Toon Pro! to try it out.  I am trying to figure out how to make something decent with it.  I know I am just working in the try out mode.  I want to see if its going to fit my needs before purchase.  I look in the gallery and there are several very nice renders from the white/blue outlined to the fully cell shaded robot.

I am trying to do something with Diamond (horse toon character) or perhaps even tumbleweed.  Either I am timing out quick or just messing up badly.  I tried going into the shader room and setting it to the toon shader and then what ever is associated with that shader pretty much disappears.  I know there are 3 places.  The Shader room, the effects tab and the render room. 

Has anyone had much luck, or know of a tutorial or walk through on making use of this addon?  What type of lighting etc.

I am attempting to get a head shot.

Signature 

Carrara Cafe

Posted: 25 July 2012 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1929
Joined  2008-01-28

Hi Milo
I tried the demo and it times out pretty quick
I bought it anyway and it works fione
I am not experienced enough in it to offer advice but the renders which ar eline only are very handy for ilustration purposes

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 26 July 2012 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  239
Joined  2003-10-09

I bought Toon Pro! years ago and I’m still very happy with it. It’s very much worth the cost.

If you decide to buy it and still have questions, I’ll be glad to share what I’ve learned.

grin

Posted: 26 July 2012 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0

Agree, it is well worth the money. I don’t think you will be sorry.

Instead of using it in the shader room, try playing with the render room option (I think it let’s you render out half a picture or something…). You can combine Toon with a photoreal render to get very specific effects…. Since everyone has a different idea of what “toon” should look like, and there are very few cartoons these days that don’t include some kind of 3D shading, you could always post some links to a cartoon style you like and we can offer suggestions….

Other DCG plugins that might help achieve a satisfactory cartoon look include SHADERS PLUS (for the “Flat” lighting shader) and SHADER OPS (for Fake Fresnel).

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 26 July 2012 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1085
Joined  2010-11-30

It is a very good plugin and it woks great.

Parchment is another plugin that works nicely with the Toon!Pro one.  Look at the DCG Tutorials for it.

You tube has some videos showing toon style renders done in Carra that you may want to look at..

The ones DutchWorkingMan are worth looking at

http://www.youtube.com/user/DutchWorkingMan/videos

I think cripeman has a toon tutorial video too for carrara.

You could also try YAToon for Carrara which is free.

32 bit C8

http://blog.zgock-lab.net/poser/yatoon/YAToon120C8x86.zip

64 bit C8

http://blog.zgock-lab.net/poser/yatoon/YAToon120C8x64.zip

Other Carrara versions

http://blog.zgock-lab.net/poser/yatoon/en/

Some people also combine Smith Micro’s Anime Studio with Carrarra to help get good looking toon animation.

Posted: 27 July 2012 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-09

Sorry for the delay in replying had some medical emergency with our cat.

Thank you for the replies.

I think I am going to bite the bullet and buy it.  My alternative is to hire an artist to do a line art drawing as well as shade it.

Head wax - Yeah if I could get to where the some of those Gallery renders are then it would I think accomplish what I want to do.

SmallFry -  Thank you for the offer, I may just take you up on that.

holly wetcircuit - I will keep that in mind on the other shader they have that you mentioned.  Just like I have Shoestring shaders but I haven’t really used them.  I ran across a little video on youtube using them to do some toon style shading that worked really well for animation and what they were showing.

Jay_NOLA - Thanks for the links.  I downloaded cripemans video and have the others ready to go once I get myself more awake from dealing with this emergency.  I do have the yatoon shader but didn’t get very far with them either LOL. 

I think also alot will depend on how the model is made if I am going to be able to make it work with the particular one I chose I will know more after I play around.

Thanks again for the replies.  Once I get it and start banging my head into the wall I am sure I will send out a desperate call for help :D

Signature 

Carrara Cafe

Posted: 27 July 2012 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-09

Holly a special question for you.

How are you getting the paragraph returns to separate the lines.  What code do you use? smile

Thanks

Signature 

Carrara Cafe

Posted: 27 July 2012 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
-_Milo_- - 27 July 2012 06:09 PM

Holly a special question for you.

How are you getting the paragraph returns to separate the lines.  What code do you use? smile

Thanks

Ancient Chinese secret…:P

Actually I am just hitting the enter key an extra time. Leaving TWO empty lines creates a single empty line after you submit the post…

Signature 

Posted: 11 September 2012 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2011-05-15

Hey all—I’m doing the old “try it and see” with Toon Pro as well. Hoping to use it as a compliment to YAToon, which I’m also happy with.

But I’m having some major issues. When I get to changing the shader on a single item (say, a sweater), by the time I’ve changed the shader on the chest and sleeves, suddenly when I change a third (or at latest fourth) shader, the whole thing goes transparent (though alpha levels are still fine).

I then remove all of the shader changes, and when I start over, each item immediately becomes transparent when I change its shader to Toon Pro.

A secondary issue is that when I try rendering using the Toon Pro render, it’s like it’s not getting all the “blocks” completed, Like you know how the “processor blocks” appear when rendering an image? Well it will render the image, but only certain blocks end up having the Toon Pro render applied to them.

I’m assuming that this is a major glitch in the program and not something that’s fixed by purchasing it.

Signature 

Swing by and Subscribe: http://www.youtube.com/dumpprep

Posted: 11 September 2012 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-15

Here’s the render issue. Didn’t touch any of the settings.

Image Attachments
Toon_Pro_Render_issue.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 11 September 2012 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-15

And you can see here how the shader goes transparent when changed to Toon Pro.

Image Attachments
TOON_PRO_TRANSPARENT_ISSUE.JPG
 Signature 

Posted: 11 September 2012 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-09

It actually times out pretty quick.  I discovered this with a test shader file sent to me by the author when I asked a few questions.

What you need to do is Save then quit, Carrara and re-open then render.  It does seem to save fine just goes de-active which makes it gone.  Thats why it turns invisible.  You can make your changes to color and such while its deactivated, you just don’t get the interactive seeing the shader in that mode.

The renderer part that does every other block is also part of the non-serial number mode.

Hope that helps.

BC Rice - 11 September 2012 12:48 PM

Hey all—I’m doing the old “try it and see” with Toon Pro as well. Hoping to use it as a compliment to YAToon, which I’m also happy with.

But I’m having some major issues. When I get to changing the shader on a single item (say, a sweater), by the time I’ve changed the shader on the chest and sleeves, suddenly when I change a third (or at latest fourth) shader, the whole thing goes transparent (though alpha levels are still fine).

I then remove all of the shader changes, and when I start over, each item immediately becomes transparent when I change its shader to Toon Pro.

A secondary issue is that when I try rendering using the Toon Pro render, it’s like it’s not getting all the “blocks” completed, Like you know how the “processor blocks” appear when rendering an image? Well it will render the image, but only certain blocks end up having the Toon Pro render applied to them.

I’m assuming that this is a major glitch in the program and not something that’s fixed by purchasing it.

Signature 

Carrara Cafe

Posted: 08 January 2013 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-08-16

Hi,

I just bought Toon Pro yesterday and spent the whole day looking for the Set Cel Lighting Model.  I have no idea where to find this, even though on Digital Carvers Guild site they say it should be under the Edit Menu.  The plugin comes with no instructions and I have only found 1 tutorial online for it by Cripeman which is not in-depth.  I have emailed DCG support, but they have not responded.  I am new to this so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Posted: 08 January 2013 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
jaakay - 08 January 2013 01:36 PM

Hi,

I just bought Toon Pro yesterday and spent the whole day looking for the Set Cel Lighting Model.  I have no idea where to find this

The “lighting models” are actually a kind of shader tree in the shader room… the name is very misleading but it goes back to the days when your choices were “Phong Shader, Draft, and Wireframe…”. It changed the fundamental way the shader interacts with any lights in your scene…

Other useful items under this menu are the Shadow Catchers, and Anisotropic Lighting Models…

Click on the very top of the shader tree (usually called Multi Channel) and the other options will come up…. See pic, I think that is the easiest way to say it…

Image Attachments
Screen_Shot_2013-01-08_at_2.40_.26_PM_.png
 Signature 

Posted: 08 January 2013 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-08-16

Hi Holly,

Thank you for your response.

I suppose it is just a matter of playing with the settings until you get what you want.

It would be nice to see some renders that other people have managed to get out of using this plugin.

Thanks again.

Jaakay

Posted: 08 January 2013 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
jaakay - 08 January 2013 05:29 PM

Hi Holly,

Thank you for your response.

I suppose it is just a matter of playing with the settings until you get what you want.

It would be nice to see some renders that other people have managed to get out of using this plugin.

Thanks again.

Jaakay

There were some threads in the old forum that explored “toon” looks… I don’t think anyone ever became an authority on it….  If you get some nice experiments maybe start a new discussion, or add them here?

There are a few methods to get Carrara to look more like an illustration, I bet a lot of people would have pics to contribute… wink

Signature 

1 of 3