Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Question for those who manually categorize content…
Posted: 25 July 2012 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2012-01-27

Question for those of you who assign categories to all your content: 

Do you prefer to have the various materials/textures associated with a particular item shown in a sub-folder within the item’s own category folder (one level farther down the folder tree), or do you simply have all of your textures categorized under “presets/materials/[name of prop].”

Because so much content lacks Metadata, I just spent MANY hours finally going through ALL my Daz & Poser content folders & manually assigning categories to everything that didn’t already have at least one.  This has been an improvement over searching for stuff blindly & trying to remember what content is where, but I can’t help thinking that it would be even better if I had done it differently: i.e. if I had put all those texture options into new sub-folders co-located with their respective prop/item under the Props/ or Sets/… branches of the folder tree instead of under the Presets/ branch.  But fixing/adding those new categorizations now is going to mean another marathon of mouse-clicks for me…  Will it be worth it?

Is there a better way?

Advice from those more experienced would be appreciated.  I am using DS4Pro 64-bit on Win7.  Thanks.

Posted: 25 July 2012 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

I hate to say it but, YES I do that myself. All content for one item in one easy to get to place, right next to the item. Once you start this you must keep it up or you get way behind very fast. But why hunt in another catagory for those cool textures if you can just load them one or two clicks after you load the item? I also have large catagories Such as Furniture Indoor with sub catagories under those. It does make for much faster scene design and set ups.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 25 July 2012 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  787
Joined  2005-09-19

Yes, I have all textures as subfolders of their parent item, this includes having a ‘characters’ folder under each of the base figures. I also drag all props items over to the characters folder hierarchy so that props associated with an outfit are in the same folder as the outfit itself. I also do the same for associated poses and merge Poser and Daz versions of the same textures if the PA hasn’t done it so that the DAZ version will be automatically picked up by Studio when I select the texture.

Setting it up initially is a faff, but I’ve been doing it this way for several years now and it means that when you are actually doing something creative, you don’t have to think about whether there is a texture you can use, it is right there for you. If you get into the habit of moving files as soon as you install them, then there really isn’t that much of an ongoing overhead. I’ve never used metadata/smart content, because what it was trying to give to people I effectively had already.

Posted: 25 July 2012 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  116
Joined  2005-01-15

Yes to the textures for a given model/figure.

Other props (like shoes, jewelry and such) I put in a more generic set of folders.  The textures still stay with the base model.

Same with poses.  I put all the poses in sub folders (like Victoria, Michael) but label where they came from (if associated with a specific model or set. 

I haven’t played with the metadata much… too set in my old ways.

Signature 

State of residence:  Confusion (as in State of…)
State motto:  “A great place to live, we think, but not really sure.”
State bird:  Cuckoo. (only because the Dodo is extinct) 
State Flower: A rose cause it smells nice or poison ivy because no other state has that as a state flower.

Posted: 25 July 2012 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3418
Joined  2009-08-05

I always call my Textures, Lights, Props, Pose, Character the exact same name for that particular product. So if I load the character called Mary, I know the textures for it will be under the name Mary. If the set has props it will be under Mary. Its just easier to remember it that way. I always extract to a folder on my desktop and rename before it goes into my runtime or library. But everyone has their own method…

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 26 July 2012 01:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2245
Joined  2005-09-05
DWG - 25 July 2012 05:40 PM

Yes, I have all textures as subfolders of their parent item, this includes having a ‘characters’ folder under each of the base figures. I also drag all props items over to the characters folder hierarchy so that props associated with an outfit are in the same folder as the outfit itself. I also do the same for associated poses and merge Poser and Daz versions of the same textures if the PA hasn’t done it so that the DAZ version will be automatically picked up by Studio when I select the texture.

Setting it up initially is a faff, but I’ve been doing it this way for several years now and it means that when you are actually doing something creative, you don’t have to think about whether there is a texture you can use, it is right there for you. If you get into the habit of moving files as soon as you install them, then there really isn’t that much of an ongoing overhead. I’ve never used metadata/smart content, because what it was trying to give to people I effectively had already.

I do this also my main gripe with ds4 is that they’ve restricted the ability to move/delete some folders. I have my own system which is admittedly similar to theirs , but I prefer my own. Everything is organized so that I can easily find it. When you own gb’s of content it is too easy to forget which textures you have for an outfit if they are all in the same folder it’ s less of an issue to find stuff.

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 26 July 2012 03:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  155
Joined  2003-10-09

Yes indeed. I categorize every product from the studio and poser subfloders into categories. Main Product gets in an assigned category and I put all textures and props related to the product in subcategories. I may also categorize a part of the product to another category if it is relevant for that category. When I buy a new texture set for a product I put it also in a subcategory of the main product. Works well and I can easily find a Product and all what was made for it.

Signature 

Erdehel’s deviantart page

Posted: 26 July 2012 04:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7992
Joined  2009-05-14

I just chuck all CR2s, scenes and Mats files all in one folder. Additional mats go into a subfolder.

Being in one folder makes me remember what a pz2, pp2 etc are. wink

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 26 July 2012 05:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-09-19
Pendraia - 26 July 2012 01:36 AM

my main gripe with ds4 is that they’ve restricted the ability to move/delete some folders.

Which ones? I can’t say that I’ve noticed.

Posted: 26 July 2012 06:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1676
Joined  2008-02-14

Definitely makes sense to categorize all elements of a given item together.  The odds are pretty good that’s when you’d use them,  thus saving time, instead of searching for them in other areas.

Signature 

PUBLISHED ARTIST
First Bastion’s Environments here at Daz

Posted: 26 July 2012 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  769
Joined  2005-12-12

Yep, everything, materials, associated poses, props, lights, cameras etc. that belongs to one item are being put into one folder / subfolder. Due to the way I organize my stuff, I may copy some items to a separate folder (so I have, lets say, jewelry props from one outfit in both the outfit’s folder and in an own separate folder in my ‘Jewelry’ section), but there’s always one ‘main folder’. I really hate spreading content over several folders, but from what I understand, the way Poser, at least older versions are set up, content creators kind of have to.

Posted: 26 July 2012 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09
Pendraia - 26 July 2012 01:36 AM

my main gripe with ds4 is that they’ve restricted the ability to move/delete some folders..

Categories or Folders? I never touch the folders in the Studio and Poser file system. I let products install stuff wherever they want. It is easier to update them doing this. Once the stuff is categorized or ignored I don’t look at those files anymore.

The categories system (except unassigned) can be organized exactly the way you want it.

Signature 

Posted: 26 July 2012 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2009-01-30

Yes, yes, yes… I now always group the associated files as subfolders.  Also add in the artists name so I can search that way as well and cut and paste key information from the product page into the notes field.  And then backup religiously my Content Manager Database.  There’s a lot of hours of work invested in it now.

Nothing more frustrating than finding a texture you want to use and not being able to locate the associated mesh when you’re on a creative role!  This little bit of work up fronts saves hair pulling down the line for sure.  Good idea to post this and share ideas.

Signature 

Member, BWC

Posted: 26 July 2012 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-09-19
Barubary - 26 July 2012 06:51 AM

Due to the way I organize my stuff, I may copy some items to a separate folder (so I have, lets say, jewelry props from one outfit in both the outfit’s folder and in an own separate folder in my ‘Jewelry’ section),

I do the same, I have an Accessories folder, with subfolders for jewellery, handbags, watches, glasses and so on, it makes it so much easier to completely outfit a character. Another thing I’ll often create duplicate copies of to group together under a single folder is footwear, just because shoes or boots come with a particular outfit doesn’t mean they can’t be used with something completely different.

Posted: 26 July 2012 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

Categorizing in multiple categories does wonders smile I use it a lot for non character dependent stuff: Jewels, hair, weapons, poses, ...

Signature 

Posted: 26 July 2012 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2012-01-27

Wow, thanks everyone for all the replies (& PMs).  Seems like most of you like to keep everything (presets, materials, sub-props) co-located with its parent mesh.

Thank you!  Looks like I have some more work to do… but in the end I agree it will be worth it.  I think I have a couple hundred Gig’s of content.  Already I am finding products I had forgotten about that I could have used in previous renders.  Assigning multiple categories to certain items that are versatile is becoming one of my favorite tricks.

One of these days I’ll finish all this & be able to get back to rendering.  grin

PS: Once all this work is done, are there any special steps I need to take to make sure my categorizations survive the inevitable version-upgrade to DS4.5?  I’d REALLY don’t think I could re-do all this if it ever gets wiped out.

1 of 2