Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Ring or circle Light for Studio?
Posted: 03 September 2014 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  984
Joined  2006-02-27

Does anyone know of an already made ring light or circle light rig for studio?

Posted: 03 September 2014 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  807
Joined  2011-08-05

I dont know if this is exactly what you are looking for, but here is one:

http://www.daz3d.com/ring-of-light-environment-lighting

Posted: 03 September 2014 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-02-27

I was actually thinking something like this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=903326&gclid=CjwKEAjw-JqgBRCAyqjoic27nlQSJABBTpFE1rqcJ73IQE3OVzX4q4xy4GIXEt7-cPl-P_UBCC7UXRoCJgrw_wcB&Q=&is=REG&A=details

http://iaian7.com/images/2008/07/26/RingLight.jpg

http://www.kevinbradley-dp.com/2011/10/28/the-stellar-diva-ring-light-an-affordable-18”-circular-catch-light/

Posted: 03 September 2014 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-08-05

Hm, ok.

Do you own/use any modeling software like Hexagon or Blender? Such a ring should be easy to model. Then, in DAZ Studio, you simply have to apply the UberAreaLight to it.

Or you try to be creative with the built in DAZ Studio content. One thing that comes to my mind is to load the AreaLight Disc and place a sphere in the center, which covers the light in the center and therefore gives you a ring of light.

Posted: 03 September 2014 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2788
Joined  2004-04-25

I don’t have DS on this workstation but doesn’t DS have a torus primitive?  Can the torus be set to be a light emitter?

Signature 

“...not world enough nor time…” 

Posted: 03 September 2014 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-08-05

Yes, there is a torus. But the problem with it is that it would distribute the light in all directions if you apply a UberAreaLight on it. But you do not want that if you are going to create a light ring.

Posted: 03 September 2014 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1796
Joined  2012-02-07

Greetings,

XoechZ - 03 September 2014 12:52 PM

Yes, there is a torus. But the problem with it is that it would distribute the light in all directions if you apply a UberAreaLight on it. But you do not want that if you are going to create a light ring.

It’s pretty trivial to select a ring of polys on one side in the Geometry Editor and assign a ‘Light Ring’ surface to the selected polys.  Then invert the selection, name it ‘Backing’ or something.  Then go into the Tool Settings panel, select the surface named ‘Default’ and right click and remove it.

Now you have a torus with a light ring surface (still needs a UAL assigned to it) and a backing surface.  I imagine a little more work to parent it to a camera, and you’d have a combination camera and light ring.

— Morgan

Signature 

Want wishlist discount notifications, better wishlist sorting, or to see ALL current discounts? http://3dwishlist.com/demo

Look at my deviantArt Gallery, give me feedback and feel free to follow!

This Firefox GreaseMonkey/Chrome Extension tweaks the wishlist and the product pages, adding cool new features to both and cleaning up small UI issues.

Posted: 03 September 2014 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2003-10-09
XoechZ - 03 September 2014 08:22 AM

Or you try to be creative with the built in DAZ Studio content. One thing that comes to my mind is to load the AreaLight Disc and place a sphere in the center, which covers the light in the center and therefore gives you a ring of light.

This.

That’s exactly how I did mine, except I used a disc (a cylinder with a Y dimension set near-zero) for my gobo (“go between”, anything that blocks light) instead of a sphere in the center, and I then added a grid made up of a whole bunch of rectangles perpendicular to the plane of the discs. Just remember that the camera has to be slightly forward of the gobo.

I actually imitated my entire set of standard photographic studio lights using nothing but DAZ Studio primitives or insanely simple Carrara models.

In DAZ Studio you can make a ring light, real soft boxes (8 reflective panels, 2 diffusers) with grids (30 long thin rectangles in one direction, 40 in the other), strip lights, and honeycombs (bunch of rectangles at 60 degree angles instead of 90 degree).

I used something that could lathe a line (Carrara, but it’s a snap in Hexagon or Blender) to make a beauty light, a snoot for a hair light, an umbrella, an octabank, and a big parabolic.

Posted: 03 September 2014 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-07

Greetings,
By the way, thanks for this.  I decided to proof-of-concept it, and built a torus, selected some polys, set up surfaces, assigned a UAL, parented it to a camera so the camera pointed through the middle, and futzed with DoF and such, and it’s working GREAT for closeups!

Probably the first viable light I’ve ever constructed for myself. smile

— Morgan

Image Attachments
WIP_Light_Ring.jpg
 Signature 

Want wishlist discount notifications, better wishlist sorting, or to see ALL current discounts? http://3dwishlist.com/demo

This Firefox GreaseMonkey/Chrome Extension tweaks the wishlist and the product pages, adding cool new features to both and cleaning up small UI issues.

Posted: 03 September 2014 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2003-10-09
Cypherfox - 03 September 2014 05:05 PM

Greetings,
By the way, thanks for this.  I decided to proof-of-concept it, and built a torus, selected some polys, set up surfaces, assigned a UAL, parented it to a camera so the camera pointed through the middle, and futzed with DoF and such, and it’s working GREAT for closeups!

Probably the first viable light I’ve ever constructed for myself. smile

Very good. But now you have to construct new eyes, or at least alter the material settings on the ones you have now. Specular color white, try about 30% strength, and strip the texture map.

Posted: 03 September 2014 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-07

Greetings,

wiz - 03 September 2014 06:48 PM

Very good. But now you have to construct new eyes, or at least alter the material settings on the ones you have now. Specular color white, try about 30% strength, and strip the texture map.

Yeah, I fought with those eyes for a painfully long while…  It’s the ‘Eye Surface’ in Legacy, or ‘Eye Reflection’ in the ‘Surfaces’ view.

The key problem seems to be the existing reflection is done in the opacity map.  So I can’t drop the opacity to zero, or…well, there’s nothing to reflect the light.  I can’t put it to 100% because then it’s pure white over the eye.  So I have no real idea how to use the Eye Reflection surface. :(

I need it to be transparent, but still reflect light and/or have specular, etc….  I’ve got no idea how to do that.  Maybe uberSurface?

— Morgan

Signature 

Posted: 04 September 2014 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-02-27

I’m a little confused, how does one apply and uber light to a surface?

Posted: 04 September 2014 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3262
Joined  2007-06-22

Just like any shader, select object and its surface and apply.

InaneGlory has what I think you are looking for in one of his sets, his background I believe is in photography so he aims for that sort of lighting in his sets. Look at his Photostudio sets. Photostudio 3 has a ringlight and a beauty dish.

Posted: 04 September 2014 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2978
Joined  2004-10-25

Has he moved his store to another site?  I just checked his store here at DAZ, and it’s empty.

Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts ~ John Wooden

Posted: 04 September 2014 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2788
Joined  2004-04-25
Miss B - 04 September 2014 11:05 AM

Has he moved his store to another site?  I just checked his store here at DAZ, and it’s empty.

Only if Fast Grab and several other categories have suddenly been dropped.  I think the store software is having a bit of meltdown or some other issue.

Signature 

“...not world enough nor time…” 

Posted: 04 September 2014 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  506
Joined  2003-10-09

http://www.daz3d.com/inaneglorys-photo-studio-3

1 of 2