Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
What’s with this New Idea ...
Posted: 25 July 2012 05:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16378
Joined  2003-10-09

Likewise, you can’t link offsite to an image here.

Haven’t tried linking to an image offsite, but you can link from forum to forum, so I don’t see why it wouldn’t work as an offsite link

http://www.daz3d.com/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=3&aid=7576_q2ub0fP58iIuWeHVolvT&board_id=1

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        October Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 25 July 2012 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3021
Joined  2004-10-25
MADMANMIKE - 24 July 2012 09:05 PM

I frequent multiple sites and usually upload my images to DeviantArt and then link them here. Offsite image linking doesn’t work.

Likewise, you can’t link offsite to an image here.

For a site dedicated to ART, these are pretty big fricken’ oversights…

Actually that’s not an oversight, that’s a preventative measure so that a site’s server bandwidth isn’t stolen.  It’s considered “hotlinking”, and I have my site set up so that no one can link to any of my graphics on another site.  They’ll be rudely surprised when they try.

A site owner is give a certain amount of bandwidth, and every time they go over that bandwidth, they have to pay extra.  Whether they are doing it, or someone else is doing it by hotlinking to graphics sitting on their server, doesn’t make a difference. The site owner is going to be the one paying for it.  Considering the size of the membership on this site, that could run into a very large fee.

Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts ~ John Wooden

Posted: 25 July 2012 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  581
Joined  2005-09-12
Cypherfox - 24 July 2012 07:11 PM

Greetings,

The speed is unfortunate; a quick check of a mostly-text thread shows around 271K transferred, which is a lot.  Most of it is because they are using both jQuery and Prototype libraries, and Prototype isn’t minified.  They also aren’t aggregating their JavaScript files, or CSS, or using sprites, nor are many of their resources returning 304 not modified so the browser can cache them.  They are at least using compression…  I’m not sure how tuned the old site was, but I agree the current site is slow, from a web developer’s perspective.  I would strongly recommend trying another browser; a different browser might be willing to display the page before all the extra resources have loaded, albiet with a few visual inconsistencies as things pop into place.  One way or another, it’s definitely not designed for light browsing.

— Morgan

Thanks for the background on the issues—I learned just enough Apache a few years back to get a Xymon server up and running. Nothing fancier than SSL and LDAP authentication on Windows AD, because you don’t want ‘fancy’ on the box you use to tell you that other systems are down. grin

I will be trying chrome - I’m currently on firefox and have been getting a bit unhappy about some of the changes in it anyway. I do hope the web guys at DAZ can clean some of this up, as right now it is VERY painful to try browsing the forums from home.

Signature 

The only constant is change—and it’s a variable.

2 of 2