Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Where is Hexagon, and its user base at now?
Posted: 30 August 2014 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  322
Joined  2004-11-27
wilmap - 30 August 2014 08:35 AM

Did you Convert to SubD like I told you to?  That should smooth out those lines.

Thank you Wendy, finally I have found the option and it looks great! grin

Thanks for your reply too Dan! grin

Image Attachments
CONVERT_TO_SUBD_IN_DS4_RENDER.jpg

Posted: 04 September 2014 03:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  305
Joined  2009-08-21

Ciao Amici.
Scrivo in italiano perchè non conosco l’inglese.
Scusate (sorry)
Uso poco Hexagon.
why?
little inspiration
I do not see in the software development
Studiato blender

then? (quindi?)
Hexagon is a wonderful tool for modeling.
Too bad because it is stationary.

Ciao

P.S.
blank stare
I have written the English
Sorry (scusate)

Signature 

“Il principio della scienza della pittura è il punto, il secondo è la linea, il terzo è la superficie, il quarto è il corpo che si veste di tal superficie”
Leonardo da Vinci

Posted: 07 September 2014 04:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-04-30

Hi CGDreams,

great to see you back here .. without your tutorials I never had learned to use Hexagon. I would like to see more tutorials. It’s actually a real shame that DAZ does not properly support such a great tool as Hexagon.

If the tool anyway no support from DAZ receives, why are they then not release as open source? I’m sure Hexagon would then obtain a number of new features in no time.

Posted: 07 September 2014 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1695
Joined  2012-09-16

I am using Hexagon to model because It’s plain easy to use!
As long as it isn’t crashing wink
Working on several models now and experiencing how far my skills can go with this software smile

Signature 

Studio DB Page
DeviantArt page

Need a review or looking for tips? Pay a visit HERE

Posted: 14 September 2014 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2005-08-24
RCT-Spanky - 07 September 2014 04:24 AM

Hi CGDreams,

great to see you back here .. without your tutorials I never had learned to use Hexagon. I would like to see more tutorials. It’s actually a real shame that DAZ does not properly support such a great tool as Hexagon.

If the tool anyway no support from DAZ receives, why are they then not release as open source? I’m sure Hexagon would then obtain a number of new features in no time.

Thanks, im glad my tutorials where helpful.  With the lack of DAZ3D support, it makes it hard for people like myself to invest the time it takes to produce quality training.  I had high hopes for Hexagon 3, and was willing to offer my support to beta test it, and continue to produce quality training.  With the lack of dedicated Hexagon Gallery/WIP, it does Hexagon more harm.

Danny.

Signature 

Posted: 17 September 2014 12:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2009-04-24

I still consider myself an amateur and I pretty much scared myself with Hexagon when I began putting this model together because I pretty much didn’t know what I was doing but I think the end result came out okay.  I still use it and I’m lovin’ it.

Image Attachments
roc3a.jpg_11_rn3_copy.jpg
 Signature 

Audiences know what to expect and that is all they are prepared to believe in.

Posted: 17 September 2014 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2005-09-25

Hiya.

CGDreams - 28 August 2014 04:48 AM

Hi all.

Im a old long timer, who hasn’t been here a while.  Just wondered what has happened regarding Hexagons user base, what Hexagon is mainly being used for these days?  I dont use Hexagon half as much as I used to, but when I was using it, it was a fast modeller for me.

Thanks Dan/aka Tez

I still use it. Hexagon was still owed by…Eovia? What that it? I don’t know…waaaay back when it was the new kid on block. For me, Hexagon is easily the quickest, most free-flowing “artistic modeler” I use. I am a Lighwave and Softimage (...ex-Softimage since Autodesk killed it…grrrr!) primary user. I also have Carrara Pro…and some others. I’m trying to come to grips with Blender, and I tackle it for an hour or so every week….any more than that and I get both overwhelmed and frustrated with its, shall we say, “unusual keyboard shortcuts”. I’m still changing preferences in Blender to work the way I want.

Anyway…I use Hexagon when I want to actually get something done in a timely manner. If I’m in the mood for something more precise or something, then I usually find myself in Lightwave. I really like a lot of Lightwave stuff…but by all that is holy, it has so-o-o-o much “stuff” in it, it usually takes me 5 minutes just to figure out what the heck they are actually calling “Cap Hole” (actually, I still don’t know if LW has that…I’m sure it does…somewhere….but it’s probably called “Planerize Edges” and sits under “Detail”, then “Edges”, then “More” and then hidden in that drop-down…byzantine!). If Newtek would just clean up the interface so that I don’t actually have to wade through fifteen different tabs and drop-downs just to do something that should be a simple one-click opperation, I’d be using LW more for modeling. They have a lot of really cool stuff (in particular, I really like their “boolean” stuff and the “Rounder” tool).

Hexagon, however, is my go-to modeler. I can whip up whatever I need in a fraction of the time it takes me to do it in other packages. I wish DAZ would either put some serious effort into Hexagon 3.0, integrate it FULLY with Carrara, or at least have the decency to sell it to a company that will do something with it. Hexagon deserves MUCH better than it’s got right now…

That was a bit long….I’m off to the doctors office now, then back here to do some more free-flowing modeling in Hexagon! smile

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Posted: 21 September 2014 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  636
Joined  2003-10-09

I too went from Hexagon to Blender.  Hexagon crashed so much on my otherwise stable system, I just couldn’t tolerate it anymore.  Sorry DAZ!

Throwing my gauntlet down here (for the umpteenth time) for DAZ to get back to Hexagon and Bryce development, and to modernize Carrara’s 1980’s User Interface.  I don’t care how long it takes, as long as they’re working on it!

Both Hex and Bryce need 64 bit addressability so that people can begin developing HD meshes.  Don’t the PAs at least deserve to have modern tools?  DAZ says the PAs are important, yes?  Well, modernizing Carrara, Hexagon, and Bryce would go a long way to proving that.

This is my question for the DAZ people in charge of charting the course for DAZ and its products.

Signature 

Windows 8.1 64 bit
64 GB DDR3, several TB of SSD storage
DS 4, 64 bit
Carrara Pro 8.5 64 bit
Blender 64 bit

Waiting patiently for Hexagon and Bryce to be upgraded to 64 bit!

Posted: 26 September 2014 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2009-09-16

I moved over to modo.

Wish modo had hexagons COON and GORDON tools though. Spline patching in modo is similar but not as easy to use.

Posted: 26 September 2014 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7964
Joined  2006-03-19

I just got Modo a few months ago but haven’t had the time to use it yet. I had 3 other project that were all ready modeled that I had to finish up. Working on the 2nd now so one more to go before I can start. The wife has already used it and sold the pack to DAZ.

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Ravenwood Cemetery*****  

2 of 2