Digital Art Zone

10 of 12
Octane Render for Carrarea (OR4C) Public Beta now released..
Posted: 03 September 2014 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 136 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1181
Joined  2005-04-12

Naeima doesn’t come with bump maps but I just copied the color maps to the bump channel and that seemed to work pretty well in this case.

Posted: 03 September 2014 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 137 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2005-10-18

Hi Phil,

Is it possible to do Texture tiling with the current Beta.

I tried to get the Octane grass shader to tile, but it would not…admittedly I was attempting it on V4, don’t ask.!!!.

Cheers,

S.K.

Posted: 03 September 2014 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 138 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2013-04-12
PhilW - 03 September 2014 01:20 PM

Naeima doesn’t come with bump maps but I just copied the color maps to the bump channel and that seemed to work pretty well in this case.

Thanks, I put in the bump maps, tweaked the alpha channel in the lashes to get rid off the butter flies and used a multiplier operation on the colour channel of the fingernails to paint them. Realised I left the default scene light in there (had intended to render with only the primitive I created with a glow channel together with the HDRI), I removed it and preferred the realism of the render, but I was now missing the highlights on the skin and just bumping up shininess and highlight was not fixing it, so I replaced the distant light and after many trials, got a passable result by setting its brightness to 5%. Not very happy with the render (it feels grainy, I used DOF but I don’t think that’s what it is, can’t figure it out though) but for a quick and spontaneous encounter with Naeima, I’m happy with the baby steps.

P.S. this quick excercise gave me ideas for the September Carrara Challenge, so I’m going to move relocate my experimentations to the WIP thread for that contest.

P.S. The first image is the one without the distant light in the scene, I wanted the some shininess on the skin so when I replace the distant light at 5% brightness, I got the result in the second image which I preferred.

Image Attachments
Naeima4.jpgNaeima4a.jpg

Posted: 03 September 2014 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 139 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-12
swordkensia - 03 September 2014 01:56 PM

Hi Phil,

I tried to get the Octane grass shader to tile, but it would not…admittedly I was attempting it on V4, don’t ask.!!!.

Cheers,

S.K.

Yes, tiling works the same as Carrara (except I don’t think that the seamless option works).  I have included a screen image which I hope helps.

Image Attachments
TilingExample.jpg

Posted: 03 September 2014 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 140 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-12
DADA_universe - 03 September 2014 03:58 PM

Thanks, I put in the bump maps, tweaked the alpha channel in the lashes to get rid off the butter flies and used a multiplier operation on the colour channel of the fingernails to paint them. Realised I left the default scene light in there (had intended to render with only the primitive I created with a glow channel together with the HDRI), I removed it and preferred the realism of the render, but I was now missing the highlights on the skin and just bumping up shininess and highlight was not fixing it, so I replaced the distant light and after many trials, got a passable result by setting its brightness to 5%. Not very happy with the render (it feels grainy, I used DOF but I don’t think that’s what it is, can’t figure it out though) but for a quick and spontaneous encounter with Naeima, I’m happy with the baby steps.

P.S. this quick excercise gave me ideas for the September Carrara Challenge, so I’m going to move relocate my experimentations to the WIP thread for that contest.

P.S. The first image is the one without the distant light in the scene, I wanted the some shininess on the skin so when I replace the distant light at 5% brightness, I got the result in the second image which I preferred.

Good progress!  Shininess and highlight only work with scene lights, and not HDRIs or glowing meshes, which are not recognised as “lights” by Carrara.  To get highlights with those, you need to set some reflection - but the downside of doing this with skin is that ideally it should be blurry reflections, which will take an age to render.  This is an area where Octane definitely scores, as there is just one set of controls which control highlights and reflections, and you don’t get sky high render times with soft reflections.

Posted: 03 September 2014 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 141 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2005-10-18
PhilW - 03 September 2014 04:57 PM
swordkensia - 03 September 2014 01:56 PM

Hi Phil,

Cheers,

S.K.

Yes, tiling works the same as Carrara (except I don’t think that the seamless option works).  I have included a screen image which I hope helps.

Hummm,

Thanks Phil,

I will have another play around tomorrow…my new 780 GXT 6gb should have arrived by then.. teeheee..

Cheers,

S.K.

Posted: 03 September 2014 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 142 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  174
Joined  2003-10-09

Great news about the plugin being released! For any fence-sitters, I also got the stand-alone and DS plugin as betas and have been very happy that I did. As long as your hardware is up to speed, it’s a lot of fun to use.

I’m still catching up on the posts in this thread so this may have already been answered, but does anyone know if we can use Carrara to populate an Octane scatter node?

Signature 

Proud to be in the BWC!
Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Posted: 03 September 2014 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 143 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2013-04-12
PhilW - 03 September 2014 05:05 PM
DADA_universe - 03 September 2014 03:58 PM

Good progress!  Shininess and highlight only work with scene lights, and not HDRIs or glowing meshes, which are not recognised as “lights” by Carrara.  To get highlights with those, you need to set some reflection - but the downside of doing this with skin is that ideally it should be blurry reflections, which will take an age to render.  This is an area where Octane definitely scores, as there is just one set of controls which control highlights and reflections, and you don’t get sky high render times with soft reflections.

Thanks!

Posted: 04 September 2014 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 144 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-12
dievans - 03 September 2014 06:38 PM

Great news about the plugin being released! For any fence-sitters, I also got the stand-alone and DS plugin as betas and have been very happy that I did. As long as your hardware is up to speed, it’s a lot of fun to use.

I’m still catching up on the posts in this thread so this may have already been answered, but does anyone know if we can use Carrara to populate an Octane scatter node?

If you set up a replicator or surface replicator in the normal way in Carrara, it then automatically translates this into a scatter node in Octane.

Posted: 04 September 2014 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 145 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09
PhilW - 04 September 2014 01:57 AM
dievans - 03 September 2014 06:38 PM

If you set up a replicator or surface replicator in the normal way in Carrara, it then automatically translates this into a scatter node in Octane.

Wow, that’s actually pretty great. Really much more than I was hoping for. I just got the plugin and am reading through the docs - looks like Carrara trees are a bit tricky to replicate. Have you had better luck with xfrog or other imported trees?

Signature 

Proud to be in the BWC!

Posted: 04 September 2014 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 146 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-12

Carrara handles trees very efficiently, in that there is replication going on within each tree, and then the trees can be replicated themselves, so there are (at least) two levels of replication going on.  Octane can only handle one level (at the moment - this may change in the future).  Octane Render for Carrara offers a couple of options of how this is handled - basically you should choose the flattened option when replicating lots of trees, and unflattened if you have a single complex tree as a featured object - see the documentation here:
http://render.otoy.com/manuals/Carrara/?page_id=494

You may be best off keeping the complexity of background trees to a minimum, for example restrict the generation count to no more than 3.  What you are doing when flattening the tree is making a larger object of a single tree, but limiting the amount of replication to just a single level.  This is similar to how an imported tree would be handled, for example an Xfrog model.  So it is not a reason not to use Carrara trees, but be aware that having too many types and high complexity is likely to be too much!

This is an image I did when trying out replication.

Image Attachments
TreesTest3.png

Posted: 04 September 2014 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 147 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09
PhilW - 04 September 2014 01:45 PM

Carrara handles trees very efficiently, in that there is replication going on within each tree, and then the trees can be replicated themselves, so there are (at least) two levels of replication going on.  Octane can only handle one level (at the moment - this may change in the future).  Octane Render for Carrara offers a couple of options of how this is handled - basically you should choose the flattened option when replicating lots of trees, and unflattened if you have a single complex tree as a featured object - see the documentation here:
http://render.otoy.com/manuals/Carrara/?page_id=494

You may be best off keeping the complexity of background trees to a minimum, for example restrict the generation count to no more than 3.  What you are doing when flattening the tree is making a larger object of a single tree, but limiting the amount of replication to just a single level.  This is similar to how an imported tree would be handled, for example an Xfrog model.  So it is not a reason not to use Carrara trees, but be aware that having too many types and high complexity is likely to be too much!

This is an image I did when trying out replication.

Fantastic! Thanks for the detailed explanation Phil, can’t wait to get home and try it out for myself grin

Signature 

Proud to be in the BWC!

Posted: 06 September 2014 01:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 148 ]
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2003-10-09

in response to Masterstroke

PhilW - 29 August 2014 12:18 PM

If you play to its strengths, you will be most impressed with what you can do with Octane and how easy it is to work with.

Well said. I find the tendency to tweak and prod something as complex as Octane’s renderer until I get it doing stuff no one’s done yet, but gee, it sure does some beautiful AO renders with the default settings. Really speedy on my GTX 680.

I stuck with Carrara mainly because of it’s solid fast renderer and it’s intuitive texturing, and to see Octane being integrated so tightly is pretty cool.

Posted: 06 September 2014 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 149 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7649
Joined  2009-07-13

well I bought Octane for Daz studio today
I like Carrara render engine already so was not such a priority will seriously consider at some time though
3Delight on the other-hand totally pissed me off!

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 06 September 2014 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 150 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  2007-08-26
wendy♥catz - 06 September 2014 04:01 AM

well I bought Octane for Daz studio today
I like Carrara render engine already so was not such a priority will seriously consider at some time though
3Delight on the other-hand totally pissed me off!

I find 3Delight (which is not a delight at all) intolerably slow. That’s why I don’t use it. I would be curious to know how much faster a GPU based engine like Octane really is.

10 of 12