Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
does it run on Mountain Lion?
Posted: 23 July 2012 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  190
Joined  2010-06-09

Can any mac user tell me if 8.5.0.149 runs on 10.8 Mountain Lion that is officially released in a few days time?

Posted: 24 July 2012 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  631
Joined  2010-09-22

I have heard it WILL NOT! I am planning on buying a new MACPRO in 2 weeks and they will come with mountain Lion 10.8 installed! I am going to have to DOWNGRADE the OS to LEOPARD or 10.6 to use carrara safely and I think that sucks!~

There is no hint as to if and when carrara 8.5 will ever be released.

ALSO NOTE I have read a lot about the latest OSs from apple, from higher end artist, and they all love leopard and most refuse to go higher until some issues with lion and mountain lion are resolved.

Some animators say that LION is significantly slower on the render than Leopard.

Posted: 24 July 2012 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16092
Joined  2003-10-09

However I have read that when you but a new Mac with either Lion or Mountain Lion installed it is not possible to donwgrade the OS. I may be wrong.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 24 July 2012 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  281
Joined  0

i bought a mac mini with 10.7 on it and had to downgrade to 10.6.8. for rosetta was not easy but did it. otherwise id have to update most of my software. on the apple support site is where i found the how to for downgrading the mini. somebody might be doing it for mac pro. Can I install Snow Leopard on the new Mac Mini is the name of the article

Posted: 24 July 2012 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-09-22

Basically if you want to use carrara 8.5 on mac, your going to HAVE to somehow make Leopard 10.6 your OS which is infuriating to me! GRRRR!

I have read on MAC-RUMORS a few times this is no big deal BUT it was in the MACPRO forum seeing thats where my concerns lie.

I have just submitted a THREAD there about just this issue and await competent replies!

I will let you know what I learn!

Frankly i have never seen any modern software apps where one has to downgrade their OS 2 version back to make it work MY GAWD!

Posted: 24 July 2012 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Oh, come on now, be fair. When Lion was first released there were more apps that didn’t work in it than there were apps that did. It caught a great many software companies out, and some of them bigger companies than Daz3D.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge

Posted: 24 July 2012 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-09-22

CHOHOLE!~ dont make me pull this car over!

Posted: 24 July 2012 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  190
Joined  2010-06-09

Surely its Daz responsibility to keep their software updated.
Its very frustrating.
I love the ease of use of Carrara and want Carrara to develop but not being able to use it on the latest mac OS is crazy.
I am using 10.6.8 presently just to use Carrara.

Posted: 24 July 2012 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0

I am running C8.5beta just fine on osX.7—assuming DAZ remembers to provide a serial number on this un-ending beta.

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 24 July 2012 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
londonmarlo - 24 July 2012 12:12 PM

Surely its Daz responsibility to keep their software updated.
Its very frustrating.
I love the ease of use of Carrara and want Carrara to develop but not being able to use it on the latest mac OS is crazy.
I am using 10.6.8 presently just to use Carrara.

I assume that is part of what they are doing during the current dev cycle. Carrara is currently being developed.

Signature 

Posted: 24 July 2012 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  140
Joined  2005-05-21

New in Carrara 8.5:

16. Mac OSX Lion support has been implemented

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/2177/

and what I’ve been hearing is the change from Leopard to Lion was extreme, much like the OS9 to X was, while the change from Lion to Mountain Lion isn’t extreme. However, experience is that if DAZ says OS Lion support works, I wouldn’t assume Mountain Lion will until they say it does, and I wouldn’t expect any version of C to run under operating systems other than the ones it’s released under.

Posted: 25 July 2012 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-09-14

Mountain Lion is finally out. Anybody had a chance to test Carrara on it ? I plan to make a switch soon, but I am too afraid that Carrara won’t work in ML. However, there are too many apps that require Lion+ now, so I might be forced to do the update anyways.

Posted: 25 July 2012 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-09-22
PLahoda - 25 July 2012 08:13 AM

Mountain Lion is finally out. Anybody had a chance to test Carrara on it ? I plan to make a switch soon, but I am too afraid that Carrara won’t work in ML. However, there are too many apps that require Lion+ now, so I might be forced to do the update anyways.

GAWD wouldn’t you know it! 2 week out till I buy my new mac and they toss on MOUNTAIN LION!!!!! DAMN ALL THE LUCK!

Posted: 25 July 2012 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-09-22

Well looks like I am gunna be a ginnie pig soon! Looks like there is NO WAY round getting a new mac that does not come with Mountain lion installed, AND you will play hell trying to get an install disk for lion even if you wanted to down grade the OS!

SP looks like I will stumble along with carrara on this machine running like a 3 legged horse with a stroke on Mountain Lion. I bet it will at least run but it will be hell working with!

PLEASE DAZ! Give your code zombies anything they want to get Carrara 8.5 to run well on ML!

Posted: 25 July 2012 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-09-14

Richard, I think I will download & install ML on one of my older computers and will definitely test Carrara on it. Hopefully this happens over the weekend. I will let you know. Is anyone faster ?

Posted: 25 July 2012 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

At least you guys know that Daz is working on it. We poor peeps over in the other side of the forum have to wait till they get Carrara and DS sorted before we get a chance of any more dev coming our way.rolleyes

Signature 

1 of 2