Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Bryce cloud/smoke/fog interacting with scene elements examples
Posted: 16 August 2014 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  2003-10-09

Bryce has some fantastic cloud/smoke/fog materials that I have not yet been able to duplicate in DAZ Studio.  I would like to collect some of the best Bryce examples here, then create a DAZ Studio forum cloud shader product suggestion thread that points to this thread for examples of cloud products and effects that might be wanted in the form of a new DS shader product (or even just sharing ways of making additional use of the existing UberVolume or other products), hopefully to spur creation of such products (or sharing of existing products and their settings) by the experts out there.

I’m specifically looking for clouds/smoke/fog that interacts with objects in your scenes in ways that cannot be easily duplicated with 2D planes and skydomes or the basic UberVolume shader settings, since those already can be done in DAZ Studio right now.

So, time to start showing off!  Can be complete renders, or even just a select piece of a render that provides a good example of some particular aspect.

Posted: 17 August 2014 07:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2004-05-09

Heres a few

Image Attachments
file_2511690.jpgdisplay_2336970.jpgdisplay_1434478.jpgdisplay_1430990.jpgdisplay_1465787.jpg

Posted: 17 August 2014 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1779
Joined  2007-12-10

I don’t know what DAZ Studio is capable of because I don’t ever use it.
But here’s a volumetric fog.

Image Attachments
fogcity_730_auto.jpg
 Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 17 August 2014 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3837
Joined  2004-10-01

Here are some of mine, even using DAZ stuff.

Image Attachments
DissolvingMist.jpgRime.jpgCreekInHaze.jpgWeeHoursB.jpgWeeHoursFE.jpg
 Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 17 August 2014 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

And here two very old ones from Bryce 6.1.

Image Attachments
UnchartedIsland.jpgMystRun.jpg
 Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 17 August 2014 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2008-11-27

Wow! You two! Wow!

@orbital - Such unique ideas. I like your “motivational poster” theme. Your use of characters in metal and black, and even with holes in them, to make them look robotic, is inspiring. (I don’t have a lot of clothes for my characters, so I avoid using them, but, hey, Bryce allows a lot of colors and textures once the imagination is set free.) The mist and haze, along with your lighting techniques, really add to the “dream” theme. Though there are so many, um, abstract elements, you bring them together in an imaginable way. I think my favorite of the bunch is Where Dreams are Made. As I was looking these over, I somehow fell back into reality, and started to think of render times. You’re a patient artist.

@TheSavage64 - I’ll bet you spent a few minutes arranging that. The haze really adds depth to it. I can see you have some buildings duplicated, but, it’s arranged so tight and immense, at first glance I didn’t notice at all. Once I started looking close I saw a few instances of the same building turned different directions, then realized several were. However there are so many that don’t seem to be duplicated anywhere. All in all, how many actual different buildings did you build for this?

BTW, I got nothing. Sorry, Mr. Riesch. I’m starting to work with volumetric clouds. I’m hoping Mr. Brinnen is going to post something here, as he wrote the book a lot of us have been trying to follow on clouds, both as objects and cloud plains. Underwater scenes benefit from Bryce’s fog and haze effects as well, and, once again, Mr. Brinnen is leading us all to those places. As far as that goes, nebulae are essentially clouds ... of gas and solids, and I’ve seen a lot of impressive work in that realm. I’m sure your request will be more than fulfilled.

Posted: 17 August 2014 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17124
Joined  2003-10-09

And an even older one using Bryce 5

Image Attachments
survivors.jpg
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 17 August 2014 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-11-27

@Horo - I’m sure glad you got in here with those. You were posting them while I was typing my above comments. Of these, I think Rime and Creek in Haze make best use of for, haze, and lighting.

@chohole - Aye, matey. That’s the booty we came to find. A treasure chest of foggy seas and rain. Argh, argh, argh.

Posted: 17 August 2014 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17124
Joined  2003-10-09

Another old one using Bryce 5.          The figures are David 3, so gives some idea how old.

Image Attachments
killing_your_brother.jpg
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 17 August 2014 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

Here are another two, Bryce 5.5, from 2006. The artist is Nibor. Nibor is David Brinnen and myself. 2005 we started doing a couple of round robins. These are 14 and 15. What we did and how we progressed can be followed on Nibor’s website http://nibor.horo.ch/.

Image Attachments
rr14.jpgrr15.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 17 August 2014 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-11-27

YES! That’s the kind of underwater scene I was referring to. Thank you for posting that in this thread, Horo.

About the “purist” thing. I appreciate that you are, but some of the details in these two images you posted here remind me of other peoples’ work, where they say something like, “Bryce just didn’t have all the little things I needed in this scene that I Photoshopped in.”  Well, why didn’t they just take those “little things”, and make 2D faces, keeping their work all Bryce?

As far as that goes, all of us use some sort of other program to enhance Bryce, if for nothing more than doing a non-procedural texture, or using a lattice to make text that’s not hand drawn, looking like a child did it. Even taking an object that was not created in Bryce, (such as Victoria or a snake), one could argue that the results is not pure Bryce. To me, if the final render to the image came out of Bryce, it’s a “pure” Bryce image. (Um, assuming they didn’t just take a photograph, make a 2D face, render it, and say it’s all “Bryce”. That would be all “cheating”.)

However, having said that, this is why I have nothing to offer this thread. I’m still learning Bryce clouds. My best images involving nice clouds use a 2D face for the clouds. By what I said above, that makes them “pure” Bryce. I know even you have some of those, too. Yet that, of course, is not the intent of this thread. What you offer TOTALLY is.

Posted: 18 August 2014 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1779
Joined  2007-12-10
CTippetts - 17 August 2014 09:14 AM

@TheSavage64 - ...... All in all, how many actual different buildings did you build for this?

The short answer is “none” grin

It’s the Dystopia City Blocks set. ( http://www.daz3d.com/dystopia-city-blocks-011-020-poser )
Exported from Poser as .obj and imported into Bryce.

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 18 August 2014 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2008-11-26

Dave- I just clicked on the link for fun and see it is 0.00 the type I can afford, is there any way to take it directly into Bryce without going to Poser

Edited:  I’m checking it out anyways

Btw all the renders are awesome.

Posted: 18 August 2014 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  812
Joined  2006-05-26

A few examples from my own studies.

Images 1 and 2
Cement Jungle

Image 3
Arid (This is an aerial view of an instancing study)

Image 4
Cloud Cover

Image 5
Above the Clouds

Image 6, 7, 8
teK Arnaso       teK Arnaso is an imaginary planet developed for a project several years ago. The planet is entirely built in Bryce. The continents are terrains arranged on the surface of a sphere with a real atmosphere and real cloud layers. One can travel to the planet surface and produce renders as if they were at the center of Bryce world

teK Arnaso from Space
teK Arnaso just before you enter the atmosphere
teK Arnaso as seen from the planet surface.

I think I used Fuzzys for the atmosphere and at ground level the result looks almost equivalent to haze. I find it very comforting that Bryce is so consistent in this way.

Image Attachments
Cement_Jungle_6.jpgCement_Jungle_7.jpgCloud_Cover.jpgArid_81_D.jpgABOVE_THE_CLOUDS.jpg
 Signature 

Please view my Daz3d User Gallery
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/465/

Posted: 18 August 2014 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  812
Joined  2006-05-26

continued…

Image Attachments
Planet_Builder_5.jpgPlanet_Builder_6.jpgPlanet_Builder_7.jpg
 Signature 

Please view my Daz3d User Gallery
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/465/

Posted: 18 August 2014 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  321
Joined  0

There are some renders on here that I could only dream about. I have a long way to go to get that good grin

Signature 

Don’t Worry, Be Happy.

Sandy

1 of 3