Digital Art Zone

Strange Grey Blocks upon loading saved scene?!?
Posted: 22 July 2012 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  116
Joined  2009-09-18

I have noticed sometimes I get strange grey blocks in place of a piece of content upon loading a saved scene.  Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, any idea what causes it, and any solutions?

Posted: 22 July 2012 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  83
Joined  2006-09-17

Are you using DS 4.5?  This sounds strangely like what Vue does (for those without either the importer or a high end version) ie the software loads a dummy placeholder instead of the content.  Depending on the content you may have either found a bug or it may be intended behavior ( copy protection) to stop someone from loading a product without current metadata.

Posted: 22 July 2012 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8523
Joined  2007-11-06

Window > Tabs > Tool Settings. Under “Draw Style”, set Manipulation to Off. Each tool has it’s own setting, so it may be set differently for Node Selection, Universal, etc.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 23 July 2012 05:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14004
Joined  2003-10-09

As evilgidget says, 4.5 uses place-holders sized for an item’s bounding box if iot can’t find the actual content. Of course if you are opening scenes on the machine they were created on there shouldn’t be missing content, unless you’ve changed the directory set up. If you are losing scene eleemnts when you shouldn’t be, what OS are you running and what are your content directories?

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 25 July 2012 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  116
Joined  2009-09-18
Richard Haseltine - 23 July 2012 05:13 AM

As evilgidget says, 4.5 uses place-holders sized for an item’s bounding box if iot can’t find the actual content. Of course if you are opening scenes on the machine they were created on there shouldn’t be missing content, unless you’ve changed the directory set up. If you are losing scene eleemnts when you shouldn’t be, what OS are you running and what are your content directories?

Thanks all for the comments.
I think it usually occurs when I open a scene I created on the same machine using DS3A and opening in DS4.5.

Posted: 07 August 2012 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8523
Joined  2007-11-06

Is the first DAZ Studio Format content folder fro DS3 listed in DS4 as well?  That’s where the Data files get saved.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products