Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Thread Moderation questions
Posted: 20 July 2012 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  675
Joined  2006-05-26

I was told that I should report threads and posts I deem inappropriate. However, I find myself very unclear on the terms in which a post or thread can be flagged. Obviously, profane language and nudity is not allowed, but what other things warrant reporting?

Also, how do I report a moderator if I dont like the way they moderate?

Signature 

Please view my Daz3d User Gallery
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/465/

Posted: 21 July 2012 03:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15312
Joined  2003-10-09

Well lets start by saying that the Moderators on this site are a team. On the old site we were shown as “Daz Forum Team”. The same concept applies on this site, if you click on the profile link under any of the people you know to be moderators then you will see we are now shown as “Forum Admin”. Any Moderation decision taken is taken by the team after a team meeeting and a vote. There has to be a least a quorum for that decision to be taken, and if it is something serious then the decision will be delayed until all members of the team have been consulted.and had their say. Consequently no moderator takes a “unilateral” decision, it is always a team decision.

As to what constitutes an inappropriate post, basically you can report anything that you feel to be inappropriate. All the moderation team recieve a copy of the report, so there is very little chance that the report will be missed, and each report will be considered by the team.

Should a post be deemed innaprppriate when there are not enough moderators on duty, then the post will be temporarily hidden and the poster notified that the post has been temporarily removed for review. Said review will be done once it is possible to consult the team.

Does that help

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 21 July 2012 04:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13667
Joined  2003-10-09

Just to add - the Report link is at the top-right of each post, and will give you a chance tio enter a reason for the report. Making a report doesn’t attach a black mark to the person you are reporting so there’s no harm in using it when you aren’t sure if a post warrants it.

If you are unhappy with the way the moderators handle a decision you should open a Support ticket, though I’m not qite sure which department would be best to pick, to draw it to DAZ’ attention.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 21 July 2012 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  271
Joined  2005-08-20
Rashad Carter - 20 July 2012 09:50 PM

I was told that I should report threads and posts I deem inappropriate. However, I find myself very unclear on the terms in which a post or thread can be flagged. Obviously, profane language and nudity is not allowed, but what other things warrant reporting?

Inappropriate placement of threads, spam, inappropriate attitude…

Signature 

*Sigh* Window->Tabs->Tool Settings->Draw Style->Manipulation: Off
Yeah. It’s like that.

Posted: 21 July 2012 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7278
Joined  2009-07-13
Ascania - 21 July 2012 07:00 AM
Rashad Carter - 20 July 2012 09:50 PM

Inappropriate placement of threads, spam, inappropriate attitude…

posting inappropriate photos of one’s self on the forum with Michael 4’s hands covering inappropriate bits red face

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 21 July 2012 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2007-06-22

I’m sure I had a post removed the other day but was not imformed of the removal or why?

Posted: 21 July 2012 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
scorpio64dragon - 21 July 2012 07:12 AM

I’m sure I had a post removed the other day but was not imformed of the removal or why?

OK, we have investigated, and it appears that it was collateral damage when we removed a thread and we apologise for not notifying you of that.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge

Posted: 21 July 2012 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  2011-05-02

I suppose if you read the Terms of Service it gives you a very good idea how it works from the start smile

DAZ Forum General Guidelines

Edit:

There aren’t many active Moderators to report if you disagree with how they moderate.
If you check the member list there are only two and one of them has not posted ?
member list
All you other guys are listed as administrators, Rashad you are yet to be designated. Or “they” must have a special section hidden away smile
I wonder, what is the difference between a Mod and Admin and why are there only two mods listed?
And who are the “they”?

Posted: 21 July 2012 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7535
Joined  2004-07-21

Do you vote on the spam bots’ posts? They are usually confusing for me and also selling something fishy

Signature 

Hello, Sweetie!
click me to save my dragon eggs

Who is cuter Loki or Thor?

Posted: 21 July 2012 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7538
Joined  2006-03-19

If its the standard bot then we just remove it. If its a more complicated one we vote on it.

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Mad Chemistry Lab*****  

Posted: 21 July 2012 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

If a post is obviously spam then there is no need for discussion. However sometimes there are some posts that could be genuine, and these are treated in the same way as any other removed post.

Signature 

Posted: 21 July 2012 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

Oh there is so much I could do with this. wink

“As to what constitutes an inappropriate post, basically you can report anything that you feel to be inappropriate.”

The TOS has several parts that are open to interpretation. I have done that dance and found out what is and isn’t exceptable. A lot of what isn’t exceptable still mystifies me.

Posted: 21 July 2012 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-26
chohole - 21 July 2012 03:56 AM

Well lets start by saying that the Moderators on this site are a team. On the old site we were shown as “Daz Forum Team”. The same concept applies on this site, if you click on the profile link under any of the people you know to be moderators then you will see we are now shown as “Forum Admin”. Any Moderation decision taken is taken by the team after a team meeeting and a vote. There has to be a least a quorum for that decision to be taken, and if it is something serious then the decision will be delayed until all members of the team have been consulted.and had their say. Consequently no moderator takes a “unilateral” decision, it is always a team decision.

As to what constitutes an inappropriate post, basically you can report anything that you feel to be inappropriate. All the moderation team recieve a copy of the report, so there is very little chance that the report will be missed, and each report will be considered by the team.

Should a post be deemed innaprppriate when there are not enough moderators on duty, then the post will be temporarily hidden and the poster notified that the post has been temporarily removed for review. Said review will be done once it is possible to consult the team.

Does that help

Ah, to the rescue Chohole! Yes, this does help a lot. It is good to know that there is a team and that decisions are shared. It is also good to know that there is an internal review and all of that. The moderation team takes the task seriously which I greatly appreciate.

The reason I asked is because when notifications are sent out about post removal it comes from the forum team, but when I reply to the email and ask for further explanation no one returns my email, so I was wondering what to do next. Does no one receive the reply emails?

The tricky thing is in determining what is inappropriate, and I’m sure that is just as tough for a moderator to determine as it is for a forum user. If by some chance I thought a post or thread was inappropriate and reported it, but the moderators do not act upon it and do not explain why they do not act upon it, it then leaves the forum user with no explanation. Well, since you and I get on so well I will send you a PM with my current concerns just to clarify my position on all of this.

Thanks for chiming in!

Signature 

Posted: 21 July 2012 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  271
Joined  2005-08-20
wendy♥catz - 21 July 2012 07:11 AM

posting inappropriate photos of one’s self on the forum with Michael 4’s hands covering inappropriate bits red face

Well, next time have his hands cover the appropriate bits ... even if they are a bit small for the job.

Signature 

*Sigh* Window->Tabs->Tool Settings->Draw Style->Manipulation: Off
Yeah. It’s like that.

Posted: 21 July 2012 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-26
Richard Haseltine - 21 July 2012 04:43 AM

Just to add - the Report link is at the top-right of each post, and will give you a chance tio enter a reason for the report. Making a report doesn’t attach a black mark to the person you are reporting so there’s no harm in using it when you aren’t sure if a post warrants it.

If you are unhappy with the way the moderators handle a decision you should open a Support ticket, though I’m not qite sure which department would be best to pick, to draw it to DAZ’ attention.

I’ve got no particular beef with the moderators, just unsure about some of the forum procedures. Good to know there are no lasting effects from reporting a post, I thought for certain there was a “tally” of sorts and once a person is reported enough that they would be reprimanded in some way. Also, what is the point of reporting if nothing is done? But that is a different discussion. For my current purposes I thought “reporting” might be overkill, all that is needed is a little bit of reflection. It’s like calling the cops when all you needed was an elder to step in and calm the kids down. I’m learning about this all day by day. Thanks Richard!

Signature 

Posted: 21 July 2012 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Good moderators moderate in moderation.  Or should that be good moderators use moderation when they are moderating.

Signature 

1 of 2