Digital Art Zone

10 of 19
—August Carrara Monthly Challenge: SIZE MATTERS!—WIP thread
Posted: 05 August 2014 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 136 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5457
Joined  2006-08-27

I’ll cover how I enhanced the atmosphere.

When I rendered my image, I also rendered a depth pass and a volume primitive pass. The volume primitive pass was rendered to add the dynamic hair to the depth pass, which was covered previously.

I took the raw background layer, select all, and copied and pasted a couple times (I like extra layers to play around with). One of the background layers I just created I turned into a Layer Mask. I clicked on Channels tab, selected the Depth Pass which PS calls Distance, and copied it.

I went back to the Layers Tab, and option clicked the layer mask, and pasted in the depth pass. I created a new layer and used a color gradient to fill it. I placed it under the layer mask. I saw that I needed to invert the layer mask.

Image Attachments
Picture_2.pngPicture_1.pngPicture_4.pngPicture_6.pngPicture_3.png
 Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 05 August 2014 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 137 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

Continued from above.

I’ll explain more of the postwork in another post.

Image Attachments
Picture_5.png
 Signature 

Posted: 05 August 2014 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 138 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

To create the aged black and white look, plus add the DOF, I merged the layer with the layer mask and the color gradient. I then desaturated the image. The next thing I did was apply a photo filter. I chose Sepia and set it to

I then added a Lens Blur. I had the blur radius pretty high.

Image Attachments
Picture_13.pngPicture_8.pngPicture_10.pngPicture_11.pngPicture_12.png
 Signature 

Posted: 05 August 2014 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 139 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

Continued from previous post…

Image Attachments
Picture_14.png
 Signature 

Posted: 05 August 2014 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 140 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

Nice work Diomede! If I can use my circa 2003 or 2004 1.8 Ghz, single processor PPC PowerMac, you’ll do just fine with the laptop! wink

Signature 

Posted: 05 August 2014 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 141 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

Here’s the final with noise and a bit of a blur added. It’s more noticeable if you click the picture and look at the full sized image.

Image Attachments
Kong_Final.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 05 August 2014 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 142 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2006-02-24

Whauuu! Great work EP! Fantastic !

Posted: 05 August 2014 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 143 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1012
Joined  2003-10-09
evilproducer - 05 August 2014 12:31 PM

Nice work Diomede! If I can use my crica 2003 or 2004 1.8 Ghz, single processor PPC PowerMac, you’ll do just fine with the laptop! wink

Truly, you demonstrate over and over that it is the artist, not the equipment. But I have a lot to learn before I could do what you do no matter what equipment I have. I am going to give it a shot in any case. No tragedy regarding my desktop.  It lasted 8 years which isn’t too bad in computer time.  I had time to prepare, but the replacement that came was defective.  Aargh.  Have to wait until Friday for the replacement replacement. Then I will spend time configuring, etc. 

Enough about my minor annoyances.  Great to see so many different approaches this month.

Posted: 05 August 2014 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 144 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2006-02-24

I’m working on my second idea… (I love Donald)

Image Attachments
Untitled_-_1.jpg

Posted: 05 August 2014 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 145 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  312
Joined  2003-10-09

I created some large leaves for the background for the DOF, the ground is individual round vertice objects because this spider is so small you would see dirt sort of like this.

Image Attachments
js-8.jpgjs-9.jpg
 Signature 

My Deviant Art Gallery- http://d-j-o.deviantart.com/gallery/

My Daz gallery http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/183/

My Web Comic Holy Toledo http://dogst.com/

Posted: 05 August 2014 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 146 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
kashyyyk - 05 August 2014 07:34 PM

I created some large leaves for the background for the DOF, the ground is individual round vertice objects because this spider is so small you would see dirt sort of like this.

I just knew this one would creep me out! Nice idea to use objects as dirt granules.

Signature 

Posted: 05 August 2014 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 147 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6155
Joined  2007-12-04
evilproducer - 20 July 2014 12:17 PM

Dates To Remember:

WIP Thread open Sunday, July 20th, 2014 and closes when voting begins.

Submission Thread Open on Saturday, August 2, 2014.

Submissions close and thread is changed to voting thread on Friday, August 15, 2014, at around 8:00 PM U.S. Mountain Time.

Voting ends Wednesday, August 20, 2014, at around 8:00 PM U.S. Mountain Time.

Thanks again to our fine sponsors, DAZ 3D and RingoMontfort for sponsoring this challenge!

Owies! My, how flime ties! I… I mean… Time Flies! Or Tempus Fugit… something like that.

Wow… GREAT Work all of you WIP submissionists!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 06 August 2014 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 148 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

I had a couple more ideas. I wanted to do a Halo inspired render. I don’t know if I’ll continue with this one. It’s just not grabbing my imagination as much as I thought it would.

The technique I used to make the ring world thingy look like it is seen through an atmosphere was to render a scene with the ring world at the same resolution and aspect as my final render, then load the image into the scene’s Backdrop slot.

If you have an atmosphere, it will appear as though it is behind it. The nice thing about this effect is that you can use cloud layers or volumetric clouds and they will appear in front of the backdrop helping to sell the idea that it is in orbit or whatever.

An image or HDRI in the scene’s Background will also appear behind the atmosphere if you use one. The difference between the Background and the Backdrop is that with an image in the Background, the image wraps around the virtual universe and can be reflected and used like an IBL (Image Based Light) when the Skylight is enabled in the render room. Ideally the image in the background should be a spherical render and a fairly high resolution if it is to remain visible in the finale render.

The first image is the ring world. The second is the scene with the atmosphere. I didn’t do that great a job on the ring world object, as I wasn’t sure how much detail would visible through the atmosphere. Note that if the sky is fairly dark, the Backdrop or Background image should show up better.

Image Attachments
torus_back_drop.jpgDells_Halo_copy.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 06 August 2014 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 149 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6155
Joined  2007-12-04

THAT is SO COOL!
Yeah, Iv’e been mentioning, a few months ago, how great it can be to simple use Carrara to composite stuff over other footage - whatever footage. I was using volumetric clouds, fire and particles and such… but a Carrara atmosphere… now That is SO COOL!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 06 August 2014 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 150 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
Dartanbeck - 06 August 2014 03:25 PM

THAT is SO COOL!
Yeah, Iv’e been mentioning, a few months ago, how great it can be to simple use Carrara to composite stuff over other footage - whatever footage. I was using volumetric clouds, fire and particles and such… but a Carrara atmosphere… now That is SO COOL!

Thanks Dart!

Here’s a version with better lighting, but I’m going to try one from a higher perspective and a different aspect to see if I like it better.

Image Attachments
Dells_Halo03.jpg
 Signature 

10 of 19

[ Scrubber Runout      Plycoid ]