Digital Art Zone

1 of 5
Night & Day City - Product Promo [Commercial]
Posted: 19 July 2014 05:09 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1220
Joined  2005-04-12

I am delighted to announce the release of my latest Carrara product, Night & Day City
http://www.daz3d.com/night-and-day-city

This uses Sparrowhawke’s free Instance Randomizer plugin (http://www.sparrowhawke3d.com/InstanceRandomizerPage.html) to create endless variations on the 10 buildings which are included, so that you can produce large cityscapes without obvious repetition of the buildings.  In addition to the core buildings, I have included 4 premade city blocks with pavements and street lights, and then put these together to create a huge city, which includes lo-res people and vehicles (which are also included).  With Carrara’s efficient handling of replication, this renders a lot faster than you would think!

I have also included night & day shader sets for all elements so you can choose your set to suit your mood!

I have put together a little video promo too:
http://youtu.be/1lKkdPZcSAc

I hope you like it. Please feel free to post any images made with this set to this thread.

Image Attachments
NewDayStreetView1.pngNightDayCityPromo2.jpg

Posted: 19 July 2014 06:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  976
Joined  2010-04-15

Excellent work, especially interesting for animations and for a very reasonable price in promotion !

Signature 

Site: http://bond3d.wix.com/carrarators
      Forum: http://www.bond3d.byethost18.com/
            My site: http://mhdproductions.be/

Posted: 19 July 2014 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1305
Joined  2003-10-09

Is the DAZ store acting strangely for anyone else?  When I try to add PhilW’s or Ringo’s new releases in my cart, I get an error saying that the maximum quantity is only 1, even though my cart says it is empty.  Meanwhile, my wishlist says I have 130 items in it, even though I don’t have any items in it at all.  Posting here because other people who might be looking in their cart/wishlist might be drawn by this thread.

P.S. - the city product looks great, Phil.  Hope I get a chance to get it while it has the promotional price.

Edit - I posted a similar message in the Commons area because it might not just be Carrara-related items.

Posted: 19 July 2014 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

This post in the commons resolved the cart problem (but not the wishlist problem).

lee_lhs - 19 July 2014 07:26 AM

Log off, and on, then add a random other item to your cart. The missing item should then show up in your cart and you can delete the random item. Hopefully, that should fix the wishlist problem, too.

Posted: 19 July 2014 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  318
Joined  2007-08-26

That city looks real nice. I want it.

Signature 

Check out my latest movie: “TRANCE”  at:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya78oBLqRlg

Posted: 19 July 2014 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  748
Joined  2010-03-13

Sadly I am using Carrara not as much as I would like to these days though hopefully this will change in the future with more support from Carrara towards the DAZ Studio content side (e.g. PostreSQL DB). Nevertheless I bought this product as it is simply brilliant and looks like a great and easy way to “grow” your city smile Thank you and looking forward to using it smile

Posted: 19 July 2014 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-12

Thanks for all the positive feedback.  I hope to see some images in the next few days, I am sure that you can find angles that I have never considered!

Posted: 19 July 2014 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  725
Joined  2005-03-08

looks great..

popped it into the cart along with the 3 freebies ...

good to see in the promo pics that they are driving on the correct side of the road: not.. wink

Signature 

“I am,... Therefore I think”

Posted: 19 July 2014 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Great job, Phil. This is going to be such a great resource.  Playing with the parts and seeing how you put it all together will be like a tutorial.

I threw in a girder, an M4+30s workingman clothes, and Genesis 2 female with Ringo’s new hair.  Sort of like one of those 1930s photos with the construction guys sitting on the girders having lunch.

Image Attachments
philw_2_promo.jpg

Posted: 19 July 2014 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6071
Joined  2006-08-27

Phil, that’s a really cool looking product. If I had C8.5 I’d throw it in my cart for sure!

Diomede, love the concept, camera angle and execution, but what’s going on with your building in the lower left of your image? Looks like the Cola building and the ones around it have ghost buildings around them? Is it an alpha channel issue?

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 19 July 2014 11:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2004-03-30

You must install my Instance Randomizer plugin for the Night & Day city to work properly.  The ghostly alpha shapes in diomede64’s image shows what happens when the plugin is not installed.  Those ghosts are all the structures that are randomly shown or hidden.

If you have installed the plugin in the Carrara\Extensions\ folder then quit Carrara and reload the scene.

Signature 

www.Sparrowhawke3D.com

Posted: 20 July 2014 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-12
Stezza - 19 July 2014 05:51 PM

looks great..

popped it into the cart along with the 3 freebies ...

good to see in the promo pics that they are driving on the correct side of the road: not.. wink

I debated about that!  As a Brit, people should be driving on the left, but most of the assets available reflect the strange American habit of driving on the right, and I thought for compatibility if you wanted to mix and match with other sets that I would go with that. It wouldn’t be too difficult to swap it around (or you could always just flip your final render - ah, but then the signs would be wrong!).

Posted: 20 July 2014 12:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-12

diomede64 - great idea to pay homage to this classic image!  But yes, you should ensure that Instance Randomizer is installed.

Posted: 20 July 2014 04:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  114
Joined  2013-04-12

Thank you PhilW, first for the wonderful tutorials which opened up the Carrara universe to newbies like me, and then for creating content for Carrara, I definitely must have this one, will post images here once I do. I’m sure its going to be an invaluable asset for people working on big city animations. Wish I had it before I worked on this project which took me soooooo long. I like the fact that with your set, you’ve built in options for automatic randomization, so thanks to you and Sparrowhawke for the instance randomizer!

Image Attachments
Doc25.jpg

Posted: 20 July 2014 04:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Apologies to PhilW and Sparrowhawke!  red face

Please forgive my weak use of your awesome product.

I still have C8.1 installed, intentionally.  As it turns out, I also have one of the C8.5 betas installed unintentionally (or at least the file structure is not deleted).  I must have installed the instance randomizer to the wrong place.

I didn’t save the original file, so here is something that approximates it.  No more ghost town.  I made sure that the building EP identified was in the frame.  A6 is wearing a modified nurse dress and her hair is the Cinnia hair.  M4 is still has the 30s working man products.

There is a silver lining to my embarrassing error.  I found some other resources that I had installed to the wrong place.

Image Attachments
PhilW_tribute_2.jpg

Posted: 20 July 2014 05:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

And here is an attempt to get a similar camera angle to my first post.  Hopefully, you can see the difference that proper installation makes.  wink

I just love the attention to detail.  I am going to be spending a lot of time studying these sets.  There are so many little lessons, like the way the green spaces with trees are incorporated, and the method used to match the walkway stop lines on the streets with the edges of the city blocks. 

I do have one tip for relative newbies.  If you open one of PhilW’s big premade sets, the replicators may slow down the response time of Carrara.  While you add your own details, you can speed up response time by highlighting the replicator groups in the instances tray and unchecking “visible” under the general tab in the properties tray.  Just remember to toggle the visible box back on before you render!

Image Attachments
corrected_cropped.jpg

1 of 5