Digital Art Zone

20 of 24
Daz Studio Basics 101. New Users help for starting with DS.
Posted: 02 December 2012 03:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 286 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1627
Joined  2012-09-16

Very helpful thank you!
I am still figuring out what all those sliders do as well ><
To be honest, when I use a bump displacement and slide it to whatever side, I see no change in my renders…
Same goes for all those sliders I see people talking about and it makes me insecure as I know they are vital.

Signature 

You’re welcome to visit my GALLERY
Need a review or looking for tips? Pay a visit HERE

Posted: 02 December 2012 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 287 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6434
Joined  2005-08-15
Estroyer - 02 December 2012 03:28 AM

Very helpful thank you!
I am still figuring out what all those sliders do as well ><
To be honest, when I use a bump displacement and slide it to whatever side, I see no change in my renders…
Same goes for all those sliders I see people talking about and it makes me insecure as I know they are vital.

When using the Bump and Displacement Strength sliders, it is often important to move the Negative Bump and the Positive Bump values as well.  If no bump shows at all, I generally move the Negative one to the left to increase the minus value, and move the Positive one to the right, then try the bump at 100%.

Depending on the image that you are using as a bump map, you may have to move the Neg/Pos silders quite a bit before you begin to see any changes, the default values are set to about 0.10 usually, and adjusting them will make big changes, and you should be able to continue from there.  Have a go at it, and see if you can get it to work, it’s worth experimenting with.

Posted: 02 December 2012 05:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 288 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1627
Joined  2012-09-16

Ah, I think therein lies my problem!
I am too sparse with them.
I figured because it’s shows digits behind the comma, it was about finetuning.
Going to try this tonight, I was pretty bummed but feeling more hopeful now!

Signature 

You’re welcome to visit my GALLERY
Need a review or looking for tips? Pay a visit HERE

Posted: 17 December 2012 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 289 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2012-12-01

Wanted to say thanks for this thread! As a rank newcomer, I came to ask a question, and found the answer already here in this thread! (what do the different extension abbreviations mean?)

So, here is another question for the panel o’ experts….

I wanted to change a skin tone. So, I went thru the tut for PhotoShop 3d Bridge, modified the skin textures I wanted, and saved them back as a different name to DS. How do I get a new .DSA or .DSB file generated for the new texture variant, so I can apply them? Also, what is the difference between .DSA and .DSB?

Posted: 17 December 2012 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 290 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6434
Joined  2005-08-15

You don’t need to create a DSA to load the textures, just go to the Surfaces pane, and load them from there.  Do you only have a Diffuse texture?  If so, use the drop down at the end of the Duffuse slider, and Browse to the location and load it that way.

You could also load the texture onto the model, and Save As > Material Preset.

DSA = Palin text DS Script file
DSB = Binary version
DSE = Encrypted version

DUF= the latest DAZ User Format for DS 4.5 and above

Posted: 17 December 2012 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 291 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-01

Thanks! I think “material preset” is what I am looking for. Otherwise, I have to load textures separately for torso, face, and limbs each time. Will material preset be a .DUF file (I am using 4.5), and where will it save to?

Posted: 17 December 2012 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 292 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

You can save the material preset into any of your daz folders inside the my library folder. Which ever folder you have open in your viewport for content will be the folder the icon is saved in. I normally save them in the same folder as the default textures for the character.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 17 December 2012 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 293 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7790
Joined  2009-05-14

Yeah can just go to the folder, you want it saving to, in your Content Library Pane (Not Smart Content and click on the plus sign as shown in the image below.

Image Attachments
plussign.jpg
 Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 28 December 2012 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 294 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-01

Thanks! This worked well, but I have a follow up question. The only things I changed were the textures for the skin. When I saved the material preset, it had a bunch of check boxes to include things like gums, iris, eyelashes, etc. Do these need to be included in the preset? I am assuming if not, it will keep the default textures for those areas? Or, if I start with a plain grey character, will I need to apply those first?

Posted: 28 December 2012 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 295 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

If you want a FULL texture to just use with one click you should save the full set. Other wise you will need to load a full texture first to load the parts not saved with yours.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.

Posted: 30 December 2012 04:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 296 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2008-01-25

I just allow myself a one-time off-topic here and wish a merry Christmas and happy new year to both all teachers and fellow students.

I’ll use this opportunity to say that I long wanted to be schooled in this post, but that other students kept on asking all the questions that I had so I never found the opportunity to ask my own questions, plus I’m quite shy about them, I don’t know if they’re ridiculous, too advanced for some or right on the topic for others !

So thank you the teachers for your time and patience, and thank you the students for asking the questions I had since that long !

Signature 

“Never lose your life, it’s precious.”
“Not like I can drop it somewhere when off-minded.”

deviantart : http://ukyuu.deviantart.com

Posted: 30 December 2012 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 297 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

Don’t be shy ask away we will decide if there are ridiculous or too advanced LOL No seriously just ask away. If we can help we will.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 30 December 2012 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 298 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

As Szark says ask away. If we can help we will, if we can not help we will try to find somebody that can. No question is a bad question.

Signature 

Posted: 31 December 2012 02:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 299 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2008-01-25

Well, let’s try to ask the question as clearly as possible then:

When I’m finished putting everything on my scene, I want to start making things moves… I do so with animate2 for the characters….
But things like hairs, clothing, and worse: the camera, don’t appears in Animate2’s dropdown.

So I go to the timeline, and move things at each keyframe. Yet, when I play the thing, there is no movement, everything stays like I last moved it even though the character’s animation is properly displayed.

So how do I make a camera move? (It wasn’t a problem in DAZ 3 but ever since DAZ 4 I can’t get it to work)

I have DAZ 4.5 pro.

Signature 

“Never lose your life, it’s precious.”
“Not like I can drop it somewhere when off-minded.”

deviantart : http://ukyuu.deviantart.com

Posted: 31 December 2012 04:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 300 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

Animation…that is me done sorry don’t do moving pictures. LOL

I know Jaderial has been messing with animations recently perhaps he could help out.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

20 of 24