Digital Art Zone

19 of 24
Daz Studio Basics 101. New Users help for starting with DS.
Posted: 18 November 2012 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 271 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1605
Joined  2012-09-16

Yeah, the different file types can be quite frustrating as I found out myself.
Here is what I know:
DSON: for Poser and DAZ
Legacy: DAZ
Metadata: Daz, I don’t use Poser so I can’t tell if Poser needs to have it
Trx: DAZ, dunno if Poser uses it

Always install the metadata or the trx file.
If you use DAZ4.5 just install the DSON files
Older DAZ version need the legacy files.

Sorry, I can’t help with the unimesh question as I have never encountered it.

Signature 

You’re welcome to visit my GALLERY
Need a review or looking for tips? Pay a visit HERE

Posted: 18 November 2012 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 272 ]
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2011-06-04

If you are using DAZ 4.5 don’t install the legacy files otherwise you fill your library with erroneous content that doesn’t load or duplicates of the same file. And if you uninstall the legacy files then it is best to reinstall the non legacy version of the files otherwise you risk missing textures.

Signature 

See more at www.explodingideas.com

Posted: 18 November 2012 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 273 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  187
Joined  2012-02-05

Thanks Estroyer, i understood perfectly ...a mentor in the making! 
Thanks also Dangerous Will glad i decided to await replies BEFORE i do any damage.

Another question

I have been lucky in the fact that alot of my downloads have ended up in smart content…...though only just started to browse this, IF the content is in Smart Content will i be able to do everything to an item/object/subject from smart content or will i have to keep going into content libray as well?

In what order do you do things?  load item, pose, hair, wardrobe, surfaces, background etc…... what is the best way to start of…...I am looking at tutorials as well but alot assume i know basics.

I keep reading “looking through the camera”  is the view i have showing?????? I turn the cube (which i have now found out says camera!?!) so if i keep turning the cube is this the view through the camera????  SORRY if this sounds pathetic but i did try and put you in the picture about my intelligence with DAZ at the beginning.  Thanks again but there will be more!!! she says smiling

Posted: 18 November 2012 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 274 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-02-05

Okay i have another Question…..when i have downloaded the zip files i have copy and merged the runtime ( i get this!) but on my resent downloads in the zip files were other folders ...Data, Environments, props etc…....DO i copy and merge these into the relevant folders also?

And another…...for months i have read about “Spot Rendering” and only just found out where it is!!!! the camera appeared around the object i did a spot render and have absolutely no idea whether this gets saved or the purpose of it as against normal rendering???

Again i ask for the simplest answers (hey other newbies may be too afraid to ask these questions ....no i reckon they would know the answers! it´s just me) so please someone take pity ...thanks in advance

Posted: 18 November 2012 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 275 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6197
Joined  2005-08-15
hermana5 - 18 November 2012 01:22 PM

Thanks Estroyer, i understood perfectly ...a mentor in the making! 
Thanks also Dangerous Will glad i decided to await replies BEFORE i do any damage.

Another question

I have been lucky in the fact that alot of my downloads have ended up in smart content…...though only just started to browse this, IF the content is in Smart Content will i be able to do everything to an item/object/subject from smart content or will i have to keep going into content libray as well?

In what order do you do things?  load item, pose, hair, wardrobe, surfaces, background etc…... what is the best way to start of…...I am looking at tutorials as well but alot assume i know basics.

I keep reading “looking through the camera”  is the view i have showing?????? I turn the cube (which i have now found out says camera!?!) so if i keep turning the cube is this the view through the camera????  SORRY if this sounds pathetic but i did try and put you in the picture about my intelligence with DAZ at the beginning.  Thanks again but there will be more!!! she says smiling

Items will only show in the Smart Content pane if they have Metadata associated with them.  In general, that means the newer store items, a lot of the older items have not been updated yet.  Assuming that your itmes have Metadata, then you could just use the Smart Content pane to load your items into the scene.

The problem arises when there is no Metadata associated with the item (older items), when you would need to use the Content Library pane, which will show EVERYTHING that you have installed, regardless if it has Metadata or not.  So, it can be very useful.

I would load each character, clothing and hair as well, then move the character to where I want it in the scene, then pose it.  Once you have all the scene items loaded and placed, you can load the lighting.  Spot render allows you to render a small portion of the scene (much quicker!) to see how the lighting works.

Posted: 18 November 2012 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 276 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-15
hermana5 - 18 November 2012 02:49 PM

Okay i have another Question…..when i have downloaded the zip files i have copy and merged the runtime ( i get this!) but on my resent downloads in the zip files were other folders ...Data, Environments, props etc…....DO i copy and merge these into the relevant folders also?

And another…...for months i have read about “Spot Rendering” and only just found out where it is!!!! the camera appeared around the object i did a spot render and have absolutely no idea whether this gets saved or the purpose of it as against normal rendering???

Again i ask for the simplest answers (hey other newbies may be too afraid to ask these questions ....no i reckon they would know the answers! it´s just me) so please someone take pity ...thanks in advance

Everything that is contained inside the zip file, should be dropped into the My Library folder.  If the main folder in the zip is called ‘Content’, go into it, and then drop everything you find in there into the My Library folder where it will merge.

Posted: 18 November 2012 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 277 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-02-05

Thanks JimmyC…..straight answers that i get!!! Sorry if it´s painful for any of you not using technical terms lol! I am still loading all my purchases…...so no doubt i will have more questions as time goes on as i keep having a play to see what does what and loving it! Until the next time, a grateful newbie signing out.

Posted: 18 November 2012 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 278 ]
Joined  2011-06-04

Personally: if an item doesn’t have meta data I install it in a separate folder. That way new stuff is in the smart content, and the old stuff is in the content library. Saves me from having to dig through all the files that are already in my smart content when searching the content library.

Another thing to watch out for in the content library is folders with the name “runtime”. For some reason the content library doesn’t show these folders. I don’t know if other people have the same problem.

Signature 

Posted: 18 November 2012 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 279 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-08-15
DangerousWill - 18 November 2012 04:17 PM

Personally: if an item doesn’t have meta data I install it in a separate folder. That way new stuff is in the smart content, and the old stuff is in the content library. Saves me from having to dig through all the files that are already in my smart content when searching the content library.

Another thing to watch out for in the content library is folders with the name “runtime”. For some reason the content library doesn’t show these folders. I don’t know if other people have the same problem.

The ‘runtime’ folder does not appear in DAZ Studio Formats in the Content Library, it is used to store the Poser content (CR2, PZ2 and so on), and can be accessed by going to the Poser Formats area in the Content Library.  The Poser Fomrats should also have a folder called My Library, which will contain all the normal Poser sub-folders, Figures, Props, Pose etc etc.

That is the reason that ALL content is installed to the My Library folder, either DS or Poser content, that way, it all gets installed to the correct folders.  The path that you give to the installer should always end with ‘My Library’ for DS OR Poser content.

Posted: 26 November 2012 04:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 280 ]
Joined  2011-06-04
JimmyC_2009 - 18 November 2012 05:01 PM
DangerousWill - 18 November 2012 04:17 PM

The ‘runtime’ folder does not appear in DAZ Studio Formats in the Content Library, it is used to store the Poser content (CR2, PZ2 and so on), and can be accessed by going to the Poser Formats area in the Content Library.  The Poser Fomrats should also have a folder called My Library, which will contain all the normal Poser sub-folders, Figures, Props, Pose etc etc.

That is the reason that ALL content is installed to the My Library folder, either DS or Poser content, that way, it all gets installed to the correct folders.  The path that you give to the installer should always end with ‘My Library’ for DS OR Poser content.

Thanks Jimmy. That has made my life a lot easier especially since I copied my files across to my new computer.

Signature 

Posted: 28 November 2012 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 281 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  564
Joined  2012-11-06

Hi Jaderail and others.  This is carry over from a question I posed in our PM.  I am trying to figure out how to apply the Gore-Dom shaders to elements in my scene.

I noticed that when I go to the Surface (color) tab that Shaders is not present at all on any of my elements being used in my current project.  Even when I open a new project and try to use a the base genesis or Victoria 5/Michael 5 models the Shaders option does not show up.  The only options I have are Materials and Presets.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Signature 

Get updates on the progress of Capsized the Movie!

“Just because I don’t know the meaning of my art, does not mean it has no meaning.” - Salvador Dali

My Video Portfolio
My Art Portfolio
My Music

Posted: 28 November 2012 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 282 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22
Geminii23 - 28 November 2012 09:55 PM

Hi Jaderail and others.  This is carry over from a question I posed in our PM.  I am trying to figure out how to apply the Gore-Dom shaders to elements in my scene.

I noticed that when I go to the Surface (color) tab that Shaders is not present at all on any of my elements being used in my current project.  Even when I open a new project and try to use a the base genesis or Victoria 5/Michael 5 models the Shaders option does not show up.  The only options I have are Materials and Presets.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Here you go, a short Picture Version of what to do…My Tabs will look different but will work the same as yours. I hope this helps you and others. For this I will be using just Genesis and the Gore-Dom Shaders.

CLICK To SEE at FULL SIZE!

Image Attachments
Shader_Tut.png
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 28 November 2012 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 283 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

You Should Always have your Figure Loaded and the Texture you wish to change LOADed on your Figure or ITEM (Clothing or set) before you ADD a new SHADER to the MAT Zone you Apply the Shader to.

I hope this was helpful.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.

Posted: 28 November 2012 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 284 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  564
Joined  2012-11-06

Hi Jaderail,

Thank you for providing this info.  It turns out that I was making a serious rookie mistake.  When selecting any of the figures or their respective parts from the viewport (or even from the scene list) I was not using the proper selection tool.  IE - the Surface Selction Tool!

Doh!

Everything is working great now!  wink

Signature 

Get updates on the progress of Capsized the Movie!

“Just because I don’t know the meaning of my art, does not mean it has no meaning.” - Salvador Dali

My Video Portfolio
My Art Portfolio
My Music

Posted: 28 November 2012 11:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 285 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
Geminii23 - 28 November 2012 11:06 PM

Hi Jaderail,

Thank you for providing this info.  It turns out that I was making a serious rookie mistake.  When selecting any of the figures or their respective parts from the viewport (or even from the scene list) I was not using the proper selection tool.  IE - the Surface Selction Tool!

Doh!

Everything is working great now!  wink

Actually that does not MATTER one bit. As long as you Select the proper surface in the Surfaces Tab list it will work no matter which tool you are using at the time.

Glad you are working now. Happy Renders.

Signature 

19 of 24