Digital Art Zone

17 of 24
Daz Studio Basics 101. New Users help for starting with DS.
Posted: 05 October 2012 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 241 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3343
Joined  2012-02-06

I don’t know if this is too advanced a question for the New Users forum, but it’s at least tangentially related to the recent topic of conversation regarding textures, so here goes: when a product description says that “some materials will need adjustment in DazStudio” how should one go about doing this? Is there a general process to follow, or does it vary from product to product?

Edit: I may have found the answer—http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=156773

Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 05 October 2012 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 242 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7479
Joined  2006-03-19

Typically the only thing that need adjusted are the bump and displacement because DAZ Studio handles it different than Poser does.

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Mad Chemistry Lab*****  

Posted: 05 October 2012 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 243 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3343
Joined  2012-02-06

Thanks, Frank! smile

In my experience, things usually look okay even with no adjustment. But sometimes “okay” doesn’t cut it, of course…

Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 05 October 2012 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 244 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  370
Joined  2012-09-27

Okay, I’m back for more. smile

So DAZ doesn’t seem to be meant for creating models, but for using ones created in other programs, correct?  So, if I want to create a box for a cargo crate, do I need to use some other program to do this?  And if so, why does DAZ have the capability to create primitive shapes?  What can these be used for?

Also, shading/texturing: some models I have came with image files I can edit with my own textures, others come with files in other formats that I can’t edit.  Is there any way to edit these other file types?

Sorry if I’m not being specific, I don’t have access to any examples right now.  Will provide more detail after work.

Thanks again! smile

Posted: 05 October 2012 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 245 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2011-07-09

Hi everyone,

I was working in DAZ before I seen this thread and was playing around with lighting and this is how mine turned out.

I like it but I think it could be better as far as lighting wise. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas what to do to make it better?

The background picture is there till I figure out how to make one similar to it.

Thanks.

Image Attachments
Cafe.jpg

Posted: 05 October 2012 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 246 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7522
Joined  2009-05-14
Frank0314 - 05 October 2012 07:47 AM

Typically the only thing that need adjusted are the bump and displacement because DAZ Studio handles it different than Poser does.

and glossiness I believe as the values are opposite of each other in each program but Frank correct me if I am wrong.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 05 October 2012 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 247 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14
james.beery.07 - 05 October 2012 08:34 AM

Okay, I’m back for more. smile

So DAZ doesn’t seem to be meant for creating models, but for using ones created in other programs, correct?  So, if I want to create a box for a cargo crate, do I need to use some other program to do this?  And if so, why does DAZ have the capability to create primitive shapes?  What can these be used for?

To make good looking props like a cargo crate yes I would use a modelling program. Primatives can be used for anything you like. A cune can be used to surround a scene and filed with a volumetric material like fog. A sphere can be used as a simple ball, planet you are limyed by your imagination. Look add the primatives as aids.

Also, shading/texturing: some models I have came with image files I can edit with my own textures, others come with files in other formats that I can’t edit.  Is there any way to edit these other file types?

Yeah we would need more details on the formats. Did you look at that link I provided a few pages back on file extenstions?

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Posted: 05 October 2012 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 248 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14
DarlaS - 05 October 2012 10:26 AM

Hi everyone,

I was working in DAZ before I seen this thread and was playing around with lighting and this is how mine turned out.

I like it but I think it could be better as far as lighting wise. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas what to do to make it better?

The background picture is there till I figure out how to make one similar to it.

Thanks.

Lighting is good, not sure on the POV and I think the backwall image needs toning down as the highlights are far too bright which draws your eye to that point first.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Posted: 06 October 2012 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 249 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2011-07-09
Szark - 05 October 2012 02:22 PM
DarlaS - 05 October 2012 10:26 AM

Hi everyone,

Thanks.

Lighting is good, not sure on the POV and I think the backwall image needs toning down as the highlights are far too bright which draws your eye to that point first.

Thank you Pete, I just rendered it in that POV. I’m just playing around to lean more. I have to agree with the back wall part. I’ll work on making what I want to put there.

Posted: 06 October 2012 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 250 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16419
Joined  2009-01-22

Hello folks, I’ve been down for a bit (medical stuff) better now, I’m sorry I missed you but I see you were left in good hands. I’ll go over the thread in a bit and get fully caught up. If you still need help please post so I’ll know you still want more help.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 06 October 2012 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 251 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14
Jaderail - 06 October 2012 10:24 AM

Hello folks, I’ve been down for a bit (medical stuff) better now, I’m sorry I missed you but I see you were left in good hands. I’ll go over the thread in a bit and get fully caught up. If you still need help please post so I’ll know you still want more help.

Thought that might be the case, I had noticed you were quiet and did think, good the hear you feeling better today Jad.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Posted: 06 October 2012 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 252 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-09-27

Argh - little more confused now.  Upgraded to 4.5, walked through the built-in tutorials - and now I can’t find any of the content for Genesis.  It loaded when I first installed 4.5, but now I can’t find it. :(  Smart Content pane comes up totally blank.  How do I find these items?

Thanks in advance! smile

Posted: 06 October 2012 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 253 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15133
Joined  2003-10-09

You did remember to install the genesis essentials as well

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 06 October 2012 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 254 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-09-27
Szark - 05 October 2012 02:20 PM

Yeah we would need more details on the formats. Did you look at that link I provided a few pages back on file extenstions?

Some of the files are .cr2, which I understand are character files.  Some are .pz2, which are pose files.  (I think.)  I guess what I want is to be able to edit texture maps which are already done.  Can I somehow extract the textures from these files, or am I going about this the completely wrong way?

Posted: 06 October 2012 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 255 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-09-27
chohole - 06 October 2012 02:34 PM

You did remember to install the genesis essentials as well

I did, and they were there when I first ran 4.5.  Subsequent times I opened the program, they were not there.

17 of 24