Digital Art Zone

11 of 24
Daz Studio Basics 101. New Users help for starting with DS.
Posted: 27 August 2012 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 151 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

For lighting tips let me point you to this Thread. It is the Lighting contest we had for New Users. It is full of tips and tuts.
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/1201/ I will need time to find the Reflections tut’s. That is done with settings in surfaces. Give me some time for it.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 27 August 2012 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 152 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7859
Joined  2009-05-14

I don’t have the time right now to dig out links for you but lighting is a huge subject and it all depends on your questions. Spot lights, Distant lights (acts like the sun as in the terms of the light coming from the same direction. No matter the translation the light will light in the direction of rotation), Point lights (light that comes out from a single point in a spherical direction). Area lights (more commonly know as mesh lights) and GI (Global Illumination), Fake GI and GI with IDL (Indirect Light).

Raytrace shadows are more accurate and take longer to render as opposed to Shadow Maps where the shadows are pre-calculated before rendering and take less time to render. But when using Reflection and refraction then Raytrace is best.

Reflections only work when you have “Max Ray Trace Depth” (found in Advanced Rendering setting) set to 1. If you want a reflection of a reflection then set it to 2 and so on. True reflections are reflection then come from props and scereny in the scene itself. Fake reflections can be achived by pluggng in a texture reflection map into the Reflection colour channel and with this you can get away with using 0 for “Max Ray Trace Depth” (found in Advanced Rendering setting) and therefore reduces render times. smile

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 27 August 2012 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 153 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Hehehehe… Szark, my buddy. New Users, less techno if ya can. More, they have no idea what your talking about. Think like you need this help from day one. Your UBER experience is showing.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.

Posted: 27 August 2012 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 154 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

LOL I was making a point on how huge the subject is and that we should take it slowly. But yes I admit I got carried away. raspberry

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 27 August 2012 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 155 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2012-08-17

HI Jailrail, thank for the link and I shall go right now and start my education on beginners level with light settings raspberry much appreciated.
Woooow Szark now that is a bit of Info there raspberry great little start that down the road I shall need to look into when I have the basics of lights and what they can do thanx again guys.

Let the education begin
raspberry

Posted: 27 August 2012 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 156 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Have fun wiibb. Tell anyone you run into that class is open and we would be happy to see them.

Signature 

Posted: 27 August 2012 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 157 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-08-17

Sure will Jaderail
raspberry

Posted: 28 August 2012 02:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 158 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-08-17

Hi guys,
Jaderail I was trying to mess about with the light setting last night with my rendering and was getting all different kinds of renders raspberry
However I did follow your settings on a few occasions the one that you done a tutorials for. I was struggling to see were the lights were and could only see them when I was moving them (( like the shadow on the ground - is there a way to make the actual light-source more visible so it is a lot easier to see were it is moving and what direction it is pointing in? ))

Apart from that had a great time just playing around with the settings so here is my first official uploaded render to Daz3d.
All criticism welcome good or bad as this is the only way I am going to learn more, mistakes are a great learning curve with life.

Thanx for you time guys.
raspberry

Image Attachments
White_in_the_Night.jpg

Posted: 28 August 2012 03:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 159 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  480
Joined  2010-06-18

Hi wiibb…

There are a few ways you can see where your lights are pointing…

One is to select a light in the Scene tab and you should then see a reference cone in the viewport window coming from the light. You can adjust the size (spread) of the cone in the Parameters tab for the light.

The other is to look through the light itself… In the drop-down list above the viewport camera cube, the one where you choose Perspective or Camera, select your light and your view in the viewport will now be looking through the light itself.

You should also see circles in the viewport, those represent the spread of the light your looking though.

Both ways make it very easy to point and position the lights in the scene.

Hope this helps… smile

Posted: 28 August 2012 03:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 160 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-08-17

Hi niccipb thank you and yes this sure will help myself with the next render I attempt, it is very much appreciated your input with my little problem.
//Handshake
raspberry

I hope you have a great day.

Posted: 28 August 2012 03:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 161 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  480
Joined  2010-06-18

Your very welcome… I help when I can

Actually need to go to bed… very late and morning and work are looming grrr

Have fun… smile

Posted: 28 August 2012 04:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 162 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-08-17

Hi guys, looking for some advice from you, I have come across this on the net and just wondering if it will help me with Daz and lighting @
http://preta3d.com/make-your-own-reality/

Posted: 28 August 2012 05:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 163 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6501
Joined  2005-08-15

It will only help if you have the Reality plugin for DAZ Studio.  It has recently been updated, and it works in version 4.5.

Reality prepares DS scenes for the Luxrender engine, and as it is an unbiased renderer, the results are very realistic.

Posted: 28 August 2012 05:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 164 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-08-17

Hi JimmyC, thank you for the info I did go to the daz store but I could not find that plug-in.  Would you know were I can read up on it a little more and also possibly purchase it?
Thank you
raspberry

Posted: 28 August 2012 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 165 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

I see this alot, folks thinking Reality will help with their lighting. IMHO I wouldn’t touch Reality until you have more knowledge of lighting and surfaces. The PA sale is on next month. If you can pick up Dreamlight’s Light Master package when it goes on sale (if it goes on sale I should say). It will help with learning the fundamentals and that is all you need to start to understand CG lighting.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

11 of 24