Digital Art Zone

2 of 5
what is considered the absolute best program for the type of work done in poser and daz?
Posted: 26 June 2014 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1095
Joined  2003-12-16
Stonemason - 25 June 2014 07:37 AM

the best?..

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Xdugef

and there was an ad for Daz Studio at the bottom of the page!

Now tell me there is no Illuminati!

Signature 

Gravy to potatoes, Luke to Darth Vader, I’m a souped up sucker and I’ll see you all later

Posted: 26 June 2014 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  143
Joined  2011-09-10

Yeh I was looking into Octane before coming across this useful thread but now am considering Luxrender also. Do you think its worth saving a lot of money and just using luxrender rather than Octane? Octane looks good but its very dear and am wondering if the extra 300 or whatever dollars would REALLY be worth it?

Also anyone know when reality 3 is out? its taking forever.

Posted: 26 June 2014 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-12-16
Toobis - 26 June 2014 07:31 AM

Yeh I was looking into Octane before coming across this useful thread but now am considering Luxrender also. Do you think its worth saving a lot of money and just using luxrender rather than Octane? Octane looks good but its very dear and am wondering if the extra 300 or whatever dollars would REALLY be worth it?

Reality 3 for Poser has been out for a while and Paolo C. who is the developer has been working with a few other programmers and testers on Reality 3 for Daz Studio. The progress has been posted on the RDNA forums and at preta3d dot com, it’s “mostly” done but no one has publicly been given an ETA as to when it available.  At that aside Paolo has been really on top of troubleshooting, maintaining and listening to suggestions on this product and I highly recommend it if cost and Nvidia GPU horsepower are a concern.

Signature 

Gravy to potatoes, Luke to Darth Vader, I’m a souped up sucker and I’ll see you all later

Posted: 26 June 2014 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-09-10
StratDragon - 26 June 2014 07:51 AM

Reality 3 for Poser has been out for a while and Paolo C. who is the developer has been working with a few other programmers and testers on Reality 3 for Daz Studio. The progress has been posted on the RDNA forums and at preta3d dot com, it’s “mostly” done but no one has publicly been given an ETA as to when it available.  At that aside Paolo has been really on top of troubleshooting, maintaining and listening to suggestions on this product and I highly recommend it if cost and Nvidia GPU horsepower are a concern.

K cool I will look forward to it coming out. Is Octane much better than Lux ender generally speaking?

Posted: 26 June 2014 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  595
Joined  2003-10-09
Toobis - 26 June 2014 08:28 AM

K cool I will look forward to it coming out. Is Octane much better than Lux ender generally speaking?

Octane is supposedly faster, but the results are essentially the same.

I do echo that Paolo is extremely responsive and transparent in his efforts. He probably spoiled me in expecting the same from the Octane people.

The issues that Paolo is having is probably the same issues that the Octane plugin is experiencing. But personally I expect the Reality plugin will be out well before the Octane one. The Octane one is already significantly late and also has no ETA.

The Octane render itself just received a major update, but the rumblings I’ve read indicate that a similar major update is in the works for Luxrender.

Signature 

My Gallery

Posted: 26 June 2014 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1632
Joined  2008-02-14
StratDragon - 26 June 2014 06:56 AM
Stonemason - 25 June 2014 07:37 AM

the best?..

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Xdugef

and there was an ad for Daz Studio at the bottom of the page!

Now tell me there is no Illuminati!

That’s just cookies tracking your every move…  important to clear out the browser regularly

Signature 

PUBLISHED ARTIST
First Bastion’s Environments here at Daz

Posted: 26 June 2014 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2199
Joined  2005-09-14
Drekkan - 24 June 2014 04:21 PM

I know also the definition and sharpness of the renders you do are subject to the capabilities of your PC. So lets assume you have a decent/good PC which could create some really impressive works…. what would be the best program?

I wasn’t aware that the definition and sharpness of my renders that I do are subjected to the capabilities of my PC.  I do not have a decent/good PC but I can create impressive works.  I thought the definition and sharpness are subjected to the render settings.  I must be missing something.  Feel free to enlighten me.

edit: nevermind, I misread your post.  You are talking about Octane and Luxrender, not 3Delight.  red face

Image Attachments
daz_studio_5.jpg

Posted: 26 June 2014 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7615
Joined  2006-03-19

Increasing your pixal sample to 12-16 will make a difference

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Mad Chemistry Lab*****  

Posted: 26 June 2014 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-14

Funny, I thought my renders look sharp.  Plus, another website/blog said that increasing pixels samples won’t make much of a difference.  Thanks for the tip.  Ok, I’m going to get ready for lunch now.  Bye

Posted: 26 June 2014 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-12-16

http://preta3d.com/reality-development-update-62514/

updated today btw
06/25/14

Signature 

Posted: 26 June 2014 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2802
Joined  2009-02-24

Octane is faster, but is restrictive in the number of textures you can use, since it uses graphics memory for everything. Luxrender doesn’t have this restriction, and as a result can render much larger scenes with modest graphics cards but it takes longer to get there. Lux can use pure GPU rendering via SmallLuxGPU, but it’s incredibly basic and only recommended for simple scenes. It is, however, comparable in speed.

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 26 June 2014 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-09-10

I see. Seems from what I can gather that what octane has going for it the most is its way better for its sheer rendering speed.

Posted: 26 June 2014 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-14

example: 1 GB of memory is restrictive for Octane.  I can only put one character and a really simple background in Octane.  Trust me.  You will need at least 4 GB of memory on an NVidia card to create a medium sized scene with two characters and a room and some furniture.  I can’t even use a high quality HDR texture.  Yes, octane is fast but as HeraldOfFire said, Octane relies on the Video Card’s memory to hold the data.

Samples of my Octane renders to show you how much memory Genesis 1 and 2 can use:
Teegra in Boudoir Bliss

Genesis 2 in underwear - You have been warned. lol

Young Genesis - I forgot which texture I used.  785 MB

Teen Julie with her bump map set too high.

Posted: 26 June 2014 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10939
Joined  2007-11-06

...personally, as I do most of my work in Daz Studio, I tend to work with the native 3Delight render engine and push it as much as possible. Like KaribousBoutique, I am not so much into totally photorealistic rendering, and prefer a more “personalised” look to my finished work with minimal postwork as possible (I do not have a steady enough hand for detailed “digital painting” due to severe arthritis).  Hence, I try to capture what effects I need within the actual render itself as much as possible using lights, “billboard”/transparency effects, surface adjustments, and effects cameras.

While I have Reality/Lux (2.5 for Daz Studio) I am somewhat put off by the extremely long render times involved which make even rendering in Bryce seem quick in comparison. 

I agree that AoA’s Advanced lights and SSS Shaders have opened up a whole new dimension for Daz Studio. While they involve a learning curve of their own to deal with the more I have been working with them, the better the results I am getting in return (and at a fraction of the render times with UE/HSS). As I have mentioned elsewhere I rarely use UE much anymore save for creating mesh lights with the Uber Area Light.

I am actually looking forward to the Renderman offer in August.  True, I can only use it for non commercial work, but it will be interesting to experiment with a professional grade production based engine, and maybe it might even help give more insight into how to better optimise the Daz built in version for the best results.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 26 June 2014 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  387
Joined  2004-11-12

I have both, and since they are both unbiased render engines, the results are very similar. The biggest differences are the speed and resource limitations. If you usually make larger more complex scenes, then Octane may not be a good fit due to VRAM and texture slot limitations. If you tend to use modest scenes (say 1-3 figures), then Octane may be a great fit. Personally speaking, I don’t have a bit of buyers remorse regarding my Octane purchase. The only “remorse” I have is when, due to either scene size, content compatibility, or other “restrictions” (like contest entries) I have to use another render engine. rolleyes

The speed of Octane is amazing, not only for final rendering, but also for scene and materials setup. The almost instant feedback I get with Octane really improves my workflow and overall render quality (I’m a test render-oholic). I used to measure render times in hours, a 1 hour render was fantastic, a 2-8 hour render was great, and a 12-24 hour render was common. With Octane my final renders are typically measured in minutes (I have done one 14 hour render), with final output image sizes typically in the 3000+ range.

A long render for me with Octane is a couple of hours. A long render for me with Lux is when it goes over 18 hours (I’ve done 70 hour renders). The results in either one are very comparable. It really depends on if you can work within the memory constraints that come with pure GPU rendering. I wouldn’t recommend using a card with less than 2Gb at the bare minimum. 3-4Gb is much better. You can get a card that will do extremely well with Octane for around $200-270 (3-4Gb RAM and 900+ cuda cores),

To get an idea what can be done with good texture management, the attached SiFi image took just under 2Gb of VRAM (just having fun, was done for a contest)  I would guess it has at least 150-200 materials. most are using shaders without unique texture maps. It used 44 color textures, and 8 gray scale (bump), so I still had room for another fully clothed human figure, or other stuff with 20 color slots and 8 gray scale left (with a Kepler based card you would have room for a little over 3X more textures than what I have in this scene). It took about 30 min to render, and it has a ton of reflective surfaces, and the large window is architectural glass. This scene took about 5Gb of RAM in DS, so the amount of VRAM required by Octane will be less much less than the RAM consumed by DS.

A couple more examples.
This post shows Faveral’s Medieval Docks, which is pretty big. A “straight out of the box” render in Octane, done in 2 min. I was just seeing if the scene would fit into Octane in response to a question, so it’s not and artistic render, just a quick example of rendering a scene with no mat/shader work at all.
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/31201/P68

The image in the link below was rendered in Octane via the DS plugin. Took about 40 min. at 2500x3000. I really liked the way the lace turned out on the top. Unfortunately it’s a bit difficult to see, even in the “full size” view in the linked image, so I attached a higher resolution sample here. Transmap lace like this always brings DS/3Delight renders to an extreme crawl, No post-work on the image other than re-sizing and adding the sig.

(warning - modest nudity) http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2489672

Here is one of my best Lux renders, done with Poser & Reality 3. it took 70 hours, but could have been faster had I optimized the scene a bit more.

(Warning Nudity) http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2440008

One other thing to note is that if you decide to get Reality or Luxus, a lot of the lighting and scene optimization techniques that you learn are easily transferable to Octane. So you could use LuxRender now, and if you decide to, get Octane later, and you wouldn’t have to re-learn everything (but there is still a lot to learn with either one).

Bottom line though, you can get awesome jaw dropping renders out of DS/3Delight or Poser/Firefly. Utimately, what you use really depends on what you feel most comfortable with, what you want to do (render), and how much you are willing to invest (both in time learning and money).

Image Attachments
Aiko_SiFi3sm.jpglacesample.jpg
 Signature 

My Rendo Gallery

2 of 5