Digital Art Zone

Kettu’s free stuff: lights, tutorials, etc
Posted: 24 June 2014 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  446
Joined  2008-06-25

Hi everyone,

Here are my best freebies so far, please enjoy!

- Mk85 Fantasy Lights and Portrait Add-On (extensive documentation included with each archive; Portrait Add-On optimised for GC on, gamma 2.2!):
http://www.sharecg.com/v/74356/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Mk85-Fantasy-Lights
http://www.sharecg.com/v/76371/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Mk85-Fantasy-Lights-PORTRAIT-ADD-ON

- a step-by-step walkthrough of using Shader Builder to get a nifty environment light shader “Envlight2” supplied with 3Delight standalone to be used in DS (I hope this tutorial is informative enough to facilitate your further endeavours into converting any other RSL shaders you may come across):
http://www.sharecg.com/v/75671/gallery/3/PDF-Tutorial/Alternative-Image-Based-Lighting-in-DAZ-Studio

- a 43 page “treatise” on subsurface scattering (and related stuff) as found in the UberSurface family of shaders; lots of pictures and examples (this is sort of a magnum opus of mine):
http://www.sharecg.com/v/76566/gallery/3/PDF-Tutorial/Subsurface-Scattering-in-3Delight-for-DS

- a companion tutorial to the SSS treatise about making opacity masks from pre-existing diffuse maps (remember: for render-only (non-product) usage, unless you have explicit permission to redistribute derivative works from the texture):
http://www.sharecg.com/v/76562/gallery/3/PDF-Tutorial/Creating-masks-from-diffuse-maps-in-Paint.NET

There is also a little more stuff in my ShareCG account, feel free to browse the gallery =)

I am willing to answer any questions you may have, but please bear in mind I am not online every day - I am very sorry.

These renders showcase my SSS techniques and the lights: the portrait is done with Fantasy Lights, the water scene - with the environment light shader Envlight2 (and AoA’s fog camera for the haze). You will find material settings described in the SSS tutorial.

Thank you very much for taking a look! I wish you a lot of inspiration and awesome renders!

Image Attachments
vasc_noPW.pngenvl2water.png
 Signature 

do your research before blaming 3Delight for shortcomings of your renders

dA gallery link in profile along with anything else you may need to know about me

my thread with freebies

Posted: 25 June 2014 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-25

Hi again everyone,

Thanks a lot to everyone who downloaded and/or rated my stuff, or followed my account! It is much appreciated.

Daukkuuan on ShareCG asked for a material preset for Example 4 from the SSS tutorial - the one that uses default Bree textures for G2F.

Even though the aim of this tutorial is to actually free DS users from relying on material presets and the like, I figured this might be helpful to other people as well.

I have uploaded a file here:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/76578/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/SSS-Tutorial-companion-preset-for-example-4

Unzip this archive into your “Content” or “My Library” folder.

In the “Presets” folder, find the “Mustakettu85” one. There are two DS files:

- Mk85_Bree-Example4.duf : a material preset for G2F corresponding to Example 4 from section II.2 of the tutorial, with one difference: eye reflection uses Omnifreaker’s Park HDR map that comes with DAZ Studio;
- PixieLight.duf : a scene subset with the lights used for Examples 4 and 5. For the IBL maps to work, you need my Fantasy Lights (see the first post for the link).

Remember to turn gamma correction ON in your render settings and set gamma to 2.2, otherwise I do not guarantee the outcome!

Important: please check the gamma correction settings per map in the Image Editor! DS somehow saves them wrong sometimes. To do this in the most efficient way, select in turn Templates 1 to 3 of your G2F and open the Image Editor for the following maps:
- diffuse colour: gamma should be “0”;
- specular strength: gamma should be “1”;
- bump map: gamma should be “1”.

Diffuse colour is also loaded into SSS colour, same as the specular map is loaded into the strengths of both speculars, but you only need to set the gamma correction once: DS will update all channels using the same image.

This information is included in the archive in the Important-Readme.txt file in the same folder.

Image Attachments
g2fpix_r2.png
 Signature 

dA gallery link in profile along with anything else you may need to know about me

my thread with freebies

Posted: 25 June 2014 11:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6157
Joined  2006-02-20

Thank you very, very much!

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?
Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki: https://poserdazfreebies.orain.org

Posted: 26 June 2014 07:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2012-10-13

Thank you very much, i didn’t have time to download it but i will as soon as i have some time. This looks really good.

Signature 

Posted: 26 June 2014 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2005-04-09

Thank you so much for this share. Great job.

Signature 

Kalisx aka Xav

Posted: 26 June 2014 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  358
Joined  2005-11-24

Thank you for these links and products. :D

Signature 

Posted: 26 June 2014 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  133
Joined  2013-06-27

I really appreciate these lights, lately I’ve been working to find some good light set ups for Studio that have a particular look that I am aiming for.  And these are just gorgeous, and are actually really easy to set up. 

From a stubborn Poser user, thank you for these. smile

Posted: 27 June 2014 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2004-03-09

Thank you so much !!

Posted: 27 June 2014 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-25

Thank you very much everyone! I’m glad you are enjoying my releases!

Signature 

my thread with freebies

Posted: 02 August 2014 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  162
Joined  2013-06-04

I figured this would be the place to post this.  I renamed Genesis’ surfaces and attempted to use your bree settings on her and well… I got some weird results.  Yeah and I made sure not to replace the images.  It’s just… odd.  Is there some difference between Bree for G2F and Bree for Genesis that I’m not aware of?  The first pic is G2F.  The second is Genesis.

Image Attachments
Mk85_Bree_Test_G2F.jpgMk85_Bree_Test_G1.jpg
 Signature 

Check out my freebies at Blade’s Edge Media!

Posted: 05 August 2014 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-06-25
dakkuuan - 02 August 2014 10:04 PM

I figured this would be the place to post this.  I renamed Genesis’ surfaces and attempted to use your bree settings on her and well… I got some weird results.  Yeah and I made sure not to replace the images.  It’s just… odd.  Is there some difference between Bree for G2F and Bree for Genesis that I’m not aware of?  The first pic is G2F.  The second is Genesis.

To tell the truth, I never tried using G2 presets with G1 by renaming its surfaces, so I can’t tell for sure. But it actually looks like you are applying Bree’s dedicated “SSS colour” map somewhere, and you don’t need it.

If you look close at the preset I released, the original diffuse map is plugged into SSS colour (because in reality, a photo of a human being already accounts for the SSS in his/her skin and underlying tissues, where applicable). If you open the tutorial at p 27 and read on, you will see all this explained.

The preset represents the “SSS-driven” technique, where we only use diffuse sparingly, if at all; while DAZ artists were using the “oldschool” diffuse-driven technique (see p.25 of the tutorial) when they designed Bree’s maps, relying mostly on diffuse for skin colour and using those dedicated “SSS colour” maps to add even more “blood” to the nose and ears. Those hand-painted SSS colour maps are exaggerrated and will not give you the same look as using the diffuse photo-based map in the SSS channel.

I suggest you recreate the G1-specific preset yourself, manually assigning maps and setting up strengths and colour multipliers, step by step. It is a good practice. Use p 42 of the tutorial for tips on how to select surfaces for performing this task with the most efficiency. Page 34 lists the same values that are used in the preset.

Once you master this, you will be able to recreate this “soft” look with any texture set, for any figure. Yes it’s a bit more work than simply using load-all presets, and then you will have to factor in geometry shells (p 18) for brows/makeup, but the results are well worth it, I daresay.

And you can always save out your own presets =)

And it also looks like the diffuse map for the iris material got lost somewhere in the conversion process. You can apply it manually, too.

Signature 

my thread with freebies