PC+ Thoughts & Musings 1
I have been a Platinum Club member for almost as long as I have been a member of the DAZ Community, about six years and over that time I feel it has more than paid for itself in discounts, coupons/vouchers and PC items at $1.99 or even $0.99 during those PC Sales that crop up occasionally.
So when the PC+ was announced I was intrigued by these changes and what they would mean for me so after a few days to check the details (and spend old $6 coupon that I had not got round to using) I signed up to give it a try safe in the knowledge that I would revert back to the old club at the end of July (though I did miss the free Weasel), so my thoughts so far and please feel free to disagree or debate as these are only my thoughts as they stand at the moment.
1. $1.99 items, yes I miss these but I can understand the financial reasons for DAZ’s wish to change this price point but I must admit to not purchasing any of the PC items since I signed up for PC+, for three reasons.
a. I know that I could have got them for $1.99, and will again after the PC+ Beta ends in a few weeks.
b. I have most of the older items I want at this time, but I do have a few gaps to fill which I probably will (at least in part) when the Beta ends.
c. Nothing in the last couple of weeks has grabbed me, but that is really just a personal thing and as much to do with what I’m working on and interested in at the moment than anything else.
2. The new coupon usable on PA items is a nice touch and in some way makes up for the loss of the old Voucher to the new Coupon but I can understand that for a good few people the $18.00 spend makes it worth less in real terms than it’s face value. I also must admit to the fact that I have used both PA eligible coupons so far but I have used them in conjunction with PA’s featured in the PC+ 30% discount program coupled with other stacking discounts & offers, but my spending is also probably far more than some can afford which means that those who can afford most also save most.
3. The maths (or math if you prefer), this does not throw personally as I am in an electronics/engineering profession so this is second nature and maths has always been a strong subject of mine. But also be aware that for many of us an additional calculation comes into play, the exchange rates and foreign currency charges we might be facing.
4. The rules regarding stacking or non-stacking discounts, I can understand the logic for PA’s, this is for many how they make their living or at least part of it so taking too big a hit can have serious financial implications that month/week but we do really need this clarifying as to who and what stacks.
Now for some ideas.
1. $1.99 items, I think I would prefer fixed price points rather than a percentage discount but in order to meet the raising costs and also to appease members I would like to suggest three price points.
a. $1.99 (or $2 if you want to round it up) for old PC items that have always been at that price.
b. £2.99 ($3) For small sets and/or texture expansions.
c. $4.99 ($5) For larger sets, full outfits, scenes etc.
Now the price increase may be hard to swallow for some but I think a price increase of some sort is inevitable and required to keep the PC going. And with the new coupon usable on older items and the 30% introductory discount applied that DAZ have introduced this becomes $2.10/$3.50 for early purchasers. I have no idea whether this will produce enough income for DAZ but a variation on this might be a reasonable compromise.
2. The PA coupon, this is a tricky one as so many different groups of people are involved, DAZ, PA’s and Customers, all with different ants and needs so I think that the best bet is to leave this as it is and treat it as an ‘extra’ on top of the regular PC deals. Or maybe offer an alternative PC DAZ Original coupon worth a bit more ($9?) for people who do not want to use the PA coupon as an either/or option, not sure how easy that would be run but a free choice each month for everybody so when they use the first coupon it disables the second one would be a good system in my opinion.
3. The maths, maybe if the product pages showed the price options, Full, Discount & PC Discount and maybe a flag of some sort to show if it stacks with any current sale prices/offers similar to the current DAZ Original & PC icons? This should not be to difficult as the software behind the site must know this information. This would also make it easier to spot if something was amiss in your cart if a discount does not show and the flag was present.
4. Stacking or Non-Stacking, as well as the above suggestion maybe a page similar to the compatibility matrix for figures for PA’s involved in the PC+ discount scheme that week so we can check on a single page without having to add and remove items from our carts?
Anyway that’s it for now, hopefully you will all see this a constructive comments and suggestions because that is how it is meant and please feel free to comment and discuss.
To DAZ, do you want me to put this in the PC+ feedback as well as here or is it enough to post it here? (I’ve saved the text in a file so pasting it into the feedback box would be no problem)