Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Carrara and OSX Yosemite
Posted: 10 June 2014 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  203
Joined  2005-08-31

I got a copy of the beta of OSX Yosemite up and running on an external drive and installed Carrara 8.5. I used DIM to install a bunch of content, but I haven’t figured out how to get the CMS running so I can’t access any new content. I was able to open a bunch of scenesI I had created earlier under Mavericks and they seem to render Ok. There have been a few crashes, but I’m not sure if it’s Yosemite or Carrara. Overall Yosemite seems very buggy. I can’t log in to my Daz account in Safari for instance.

Has any one else tried Carrara and Yosemite?

Posted: 10 June 2014 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5773
Joined  2006-08-27

Sorry. This turnip doesn’t have enough blood for bleeding edge. wink

Good luck getting it going. Hopefully it will work for you. Also, hopefully it isn’t on a mission critical drive.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 10 June 2014 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0

confused Agree. I never want to test a beta again. lol

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 10 June 2014 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  190
Joined  2010-06-09

From what I’ve read, the beta is too buggy. Going to wait till the official release this fall.

Posted: 11 June 2014 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-08-31

I agree that the beta is very rough and buggy. I just wanted to see if there was a chance that Carrara would work with it after the Lion fiasco.  (It took more than a year fro Daz to create a version that didn’t crash every few minutes.) I’d rather have 6 months to find a Carrara replacement then try to react when it’s released. I love Carrara and have been using it since before it was Carrara, but Daz’s lack of support and information is disturbing. I’m nervous about investing more $$ and time working with it. We were supposed to get Carrara 9 first quarter of this year. They haven’t even fixed any of the bugs in 8.5 yet. My two cents.

Posted: 11 June 2014 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2011-06-20

I’ve read the beta is pretty buggy, so I will stay away from it for a while.

Hope render node works under Yosemite; Mavericks broke it.  Having it work again would really make life easier.  I sure wish Daz would push out a fix for it (the other apps I have that distribute tasks work fine, just Carrara).

Posted: 11 June 2014 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  445
Joined  2013-10-24

I did one of the iOS betas one time, and vowed never again. I’ll wait till the Autumn. No, I’ll probably wait for the inevitable patch update…

Posted: 11 June 2014 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5801
Joined  2005-08-29
BrianP21361 - 10 June 2014 08:00 PM

I got a copy of the beta of OSX Yosemite up and running on an external drive and installed Carrara 8.5. I used DIM to install a bunch of content, but I haven’t figured out how to get the CMS running so I can’t access any new content. I was able to open a bunch of scenesI I had created earlier under Mavericks and they seem to render Ok. There have been a few crashes, but I’m not sure if it’s Yosemite or Carrara. Overall Yosemite seems very buggy. I can’t log in to my Daz account in Safari for instance.

Has any one else tried Carrara and Yosemite?

First, Yosemite is early developer beta, it’s supposed to not work I haven’t even install mine yet). Second Carrara 8.5 needs the Valentina CMS, the one you have an installer for in the DIM directory in /Applications as Carrara hasn’t been fixed to talk to postgres yet.

Signature 

=============================================
My DAZ Gallery  | The adventures of Lomund
Free RPG adventures for DnD, O:FR and more: http://4eyes.code66.se
Community Volunteer

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club
I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

Posted: 11 June 2014 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-08-31

Thanks Totte,

That’s the info I was looking for. I’ll try to install the Valentina CMS and see if that works.

I’m expecting Yosemite to work perfectly. I just installed it to see if Carrara might work. Things went well with Mountain Lion and Maverick’s.

Posted: 06 August 2014 02:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-06-20

Update:  I have had the public beta for a week now and Carrara is working on it with few problems, but I haven’t really pushed it.  Even got render node working for a while, but this has happened before and gotten my hopes up only to be dashed again.  Another day or two and I can relocated the Yosemite machine and use it more frequently (I only do beta testing on an old machine; this one is idle because of the bug that prevents the render node from working under Mavericks)

I agree with a comment above that the lack attention from Daz is more than disturbing, so much so that I have started testing other apps just in case something gets broken or Carrara is dropped.  Actually downloaded one just yesterday…

Posted: 06 August 2014 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-08-31

Yosemite isn’t the same kind of rewrite as Lion so I’m expecting it to work. What kind of issues are you experiencing. I’d like to try and reproduce them.

Posted: 06 August 2014 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-06-20

I was mainly looking at render nodes… At first things didn’t work… then everything worked great then tapered off.

Similar to how it was before once with Mavericks.  I really, really want render nodes to work so I got a little excited , buut when things started acting up again…

Give me some more time to just play with it.

Posted: 06 August 2014 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  318
Joined  2003-10-09
BrianP21361 - 10 June 2014 08:00 PM

Overall Yosemite seems very buggy. I can’t log in to my Daz account in Safari for instance.

I have trouble logging into this forum in Mavericks too.
I find I have to log out of both forum (even if already logged out), and the store… and sometimes close and reopen the browser.

That problem isn’t new to the upcoming OS.

BrianP21361 - 06 August 2014 06:51 AM

Yosemite isn’t the same kind of rewrite as Lion so I’m expecting it to work. What kind of issues are you experiencing. I’d like to try and reproduce them.

The grapevine from my friend who works at Apple is there has been extreme displeasure inside the company at the way some changes have been handled in the last year or two… But I think that’s well after Lion. I know that last time I asked, inside they had still not upgraded to the same versions as had been shipped to the public, and he was starting to see docs from ‘corporate’ pass around the office in ‘Microsoft Word’ format…

My suspicion is this will mean Yosimete will NOT repeat some of the recent fiascos seen… But that also means beta would be rougher so that post beta is smoother.

Signature 

Bless up and praise to the most high Jah. Equal Rights and Justice for all.

Posted: 16 October 2014 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-08-12

Any thoughts from the community now that Yosemite is out? I have it installed on my laptop with Carrara 8.5 and things seem to be alright but I do most of my 3D work on one of my iMacs. I don’t really want to upgrade that until I see more feedback from fellow users.

Signature 

William ’ Shaggy’ Chrapcynski
http://www.bsodcomic.net

Posted: 17 October 2014 02:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  445
Joined  2013-10-24

At the current speed, it’s going to be 3 days before it’s finished downloading!

Posted: 17 October 2014 03:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-06-20

I’ve had the Yosemite beta and Carrara works great (I am not a pro user though…).

Now have updated all my machines to Yosemite and am trying to get the render node sorted out.  It stopped working under Mavericks and is basically functioning under Yosemite, with some oddities.  I updated my ticket with Daz just now and will see what they suggest.
If I can get this sorted out, I have 14 cores waiting to render!

I don’t like some of the Yosemite UI elements (most of the main ones like transparency drive me crazy) and probably would not have updated but it seems to have gotten render nodes functioning again, so I updated… for Carrara!

1 of 3