Digital Art Zone

8 of 12
LUXUS for Carrara question
Posted: 02 August 2014 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 106 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  389
Joined  2004-09-12

I like the way LUXUS handles metal, but I also like the way Carrara’s default renderer handles them too.  The trick seems to be what you reflect in them and a HDRI really improves the renders.

Posted: 02 August 2014 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 107 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6060
Joined  2006-08-27

Yes. To reflect something you need something to reflect. I recall in the old forums there was someone that came in from Poser or D|S that had bought Carrara and was having problems getting a reflection. He had a really hard time grasping that you didn’t need a reflection map. It was almost to the point of a flame war as it was explained to him again and again that it was not a bug or a shortcoming in Carrara that it used “real” reflections by default.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 02 August 2014 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 108 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  2011-05-15
evilproducer - 02 August 2014 01:16 PM

Yes. To reflect something you need something to reflect. I recall in the old forums there was someone that came in from Poser or D|S that had bought Carrara and was having problems getting a reflection. He had a really hard time grasping that you didn’t need a reflection map. It was almost to the point of a flame war as it was explained to him again and again that it was not a bug or a shortcoming in Carrara that it used “real” reflections by default.

Yeah, for quick shots I’m okay with applying a soft light opactity warped video mask in AE to metal, but I’ve also been thinking about bringing pictures into Carrara and see how the model likes those (if possible). I never animate environments, though. I only bring character animation into real world environments or I render out hi res still frames of backgrounds and work with them in post, so animating in an actual CG environment wouldn’t jibe with my workflow.

Signature 

Patron the creation of Outstanding Pajamas: http://www.patreon.com/BCRice

Posted: 02 August 2014 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 109 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
BC Rice - 02 August 2014 04:28 PM

Yeah, for quick shots I’m okay with applying a soft light opactity warped video mask in AE to metal, but I’ve also been thinking about bringing pictures into Carrara and see how the model likes those (if possible). I never animate environments, though. I only bring character animation into real world environments or I render out hi res still frames of backgrounds and work with them in post, so animating in an actual CG environment wouldn’t jibe with my workflow.

A trick that I have done in the past is to place a large plane behind the camera and apply the image I wanted reflected onto the plane via the color and glow channel in the Texture room. I would use this trick if I didn’t have a high enough of a resolution image for the scene’s background.

Speaking of the background, ideally you would have a spherical image you could place in the background to be reflected.

Also, do you know that Carrara’s texture room has a shadow catcher lighting model? Not only does it catch shadows, but it can cast shadows and act as a mask.

Signature 

Posted: 02 August 2014 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 110 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-15
evilproducer - 02 August 2014 06:18 PM
BC Rice - 02 August 2014 04:28 PM

A trick that I have done in the past is to place a large plane behind the camera and apply the image I wanted reflected onto the plane via the color and glow channel in the Texture room. I would use this trick if I didn’t have a high enough of a resolution image for the scene’s background.

Speaking of the background, ideally you would have a spherical image you could place in the background to be reflected.

Also, do you know that Carrara’s texture room has a shadow catcher lighting model? Not only does it catch shadows, but it can cast shadows and act as a mask.

Yeah, that’s a good idea about the textures. Going to try that. smile

Signature 

Posted: 02 August 2014 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 111 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  0

Hi,
I was going to ask, what sort of system setups do you have , those of you that have posted renders and examples in the thread here, and how long did those renders take in Luxus? that being said, CPU, Hybrid, or GPU rendering modes…

I’ve already bought Luxus for Carrara, just haven’t put a system together yet…

Posted: 04 August 2014 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 112 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-09-12

I let most of my experiments in this thread take about two hour to render.  I use an Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz Quad Core from 2012. The render times have been keeping me from animating with LUXUS for Carrara.

I also seem to get better reflections by using HDRI maps instead of textured planes.

Posted: 05 August 2014 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 113 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-15
joeping - 04 August 2014 10:40 AM

I let most of my experiments in this thread take about two hour to render.  I use an Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz Quad Core from 2012. The render times have been keeping me from animating with LUXUS for Carrara.

I also seem to get better reflections by using HDRI maps instead of textured planes.

That’s a hefty render time for sure. I usually just animate characters in a scene. I don’t ever really find the need to animate backgrounds. If you just treat 3D like traditional animation, you should be fine just rendering a single background plate and then animating your characters.

I did this as a quick test a couple days ago on a character I’m working on. Took about 45 seconds per frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mYXKeQuGFQ&list=UUMrS1l5cn4Ukq9ztJcMlptQ

Signature 

Posted: 05 August 2014 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 114 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-09-12

That’s cool BC Rice,
Is that the Carrara default renderer?  I’ve been averaging about 10 sec per frame with the Carrara default render.

Posted: 05 August 2014 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 115 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-15
joeping - 05 August 2014 11:12 AM

That’s cool BC Rice,
Is that the Carrara default renderer?  I’ve been averaging about 10 sec per frame with the Carrara default render.

Yeah, it’s the default with full ratraycing and indirect lighting and the whole spiel.

Signature 

Posted: 05 August 2014 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 116 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-09-12

BC Rice,
Very neat stuff, try adding the background image of the video as a HDRI map.  It shouldn’t add much to the render time and your reflections would really stand out.

You can see the benefits of using HDRI by viewing my first Carrara test video at http://youtu.be/dJ-4Nl_-yoY?list=PLnSggzklmsJGSjzOhaN1QRuG-ROMww6AM
This was done with the Carrara default render.  All the reflections are from a sample HDRI map and it improved the reflections versus no HDRI map.

Posted: 05 August 2014 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 117 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

You can also use any spherical image in the background. Technically, you can use any image, but spherical will look better.

Signature 

Posted: 05 August 2014 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 118 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-09-12

Thanks for the great info EvilProducer,
I have just been using HDRI maps since this first test because it seemed the be the fasted way to get the reflection results I liked and still get a clean alpha channel.  I’ll have to give your methods a try.

Posted: 05 August 2014 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 119 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
joeping - 05 August 2014 01:03 PM

Thanks for the great info EvilProducer,
I have just been using HDRI maps since this first test because it seemed the be the fasted way to get the reflection results I liked and still get a clean alpha channel.  I’ll have to give your methods a try.

I don’t know about LUXUS, but Carrara can use any image placed in the scene’s background as an IBL (Image Based Light) if the Skylight is enabled. In fact, any of the options it gives you will act as an IBL if you enable the Skylight in the render room.

I made a couple hi-res spherical renders as an experiment a couple years ago. Feel free to try them out. I want to make more with different environments. I love that Carrara has a spherical camera!

http://www.sharecg.com/v/64485/view/6/Texture/Spherical-Dystopia-night-with-clouds
http://www.sharecg.com/v/51297/view/6/Texture/Dystopia-Spherical-background-image-map

Signature 

Posted: 05 August 2014 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 120 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6469
Joined  2007-12-04

Very cool, evilproducer! Thank you very much!

Here’s a cool Image Based Lighting Tutorial - By the Truly Wonderful Holly Wetcircuit!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

8 of 12