2 of 2
Dull looking renders, or not?
Posted: 06 August 2012 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2006-09-01
tsarist - 04 August 2012 02:44 PM
Frank__ - 17 July 2012 07:58 PM

What I want to know is how the “dull” looking renders of Carrara look on hard-copies in real life. I don’t have a color printer. I don’t know how a Carrara render looks on a digital printer. Any experience?

I have quite a bit of experience having things printed out.
Most renders tend to be a little darker when printed.
In order to get the right colours, I have always had to brighten the image either in Carrara or later in Photoshop to get it to look like it should.

This is my experience and the experience of about a dozen other people I know.

I’m sure there is someone who will run in and say “that can’t be true”, but that is our experience and MAY not be universal.

Best of Luck!

cool smile

The new (most welcome) forum adjustments seem to push up long lost threads to the surface ...

Thanks for the info, anyway. So it seems, that print is darker and TV is brighter/more saturated. So the solution would be to test one (!) good looking render on the computer on the intended publishing media before going to tweak and tweak and tweak smile

Posted: 07 August 2012 12:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2004-09-24
Frank__ - 18 July 2012 09:13 AM
holly wetcircuit - 18 July 2012 08:35 AM

...when you say TV, I’m thinking like a flatscreen LCD/plasma, not a CRT tube TV…? Not going to do the technical speak, but new TVs are adjustable too (mine has a “Picture” button that chooses 4 or 5 presets that are named things like Computer, Theater, etc… but might as well be called Painfully Bright, Squinty Dark, etc…. If the images are just for you then you could test the renders on your TV all along the way and make adjustments. But anyone else with another TV might have their settings different from yours….

Standard full HD LCD-TV; no special preset

Just a thought…

Many/most LCD displays are shipped from the factory with the settings turned up fairly high. In effect, they have a high brightness and color settings giving a brighter, more saturated appearance. A properly calibrated TV screen will look a little “duller” and “darker” - which is actually the “correct” color rendition.

Is the TV monitor you are using calibrated? (If it isn’t, consider doing so. The pumped up color settings can shorten the life of the screen). This is different than the presets Holly refers to… and many TVs will also allow you to calibrate and store settings within those presets.

Posted: 08 September 2012 06:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  0

Hi Frank,

One thing that can help renderings not to be ‘dull’:
Select ‘Scene’ in the hierarchy.
Then in the ‘Effects’ tab (at the top) reduce the Ambient light to 0.
Hope this help.

Frank__ - 17 July 2012 07:58 PM

In the Beta thread I stumbled on Joe’s remark: “IMO. Carrara’s renders have always looked very dull compared to the bright, snappy renders you get elsewhere.” and some weeks ago I would have been the first one to raise my arm and say: yes!

But then I rendered 90 sec of an animation, which looked dull on my notebook and I thought, okay, as usual, adjust the levels in post. Only my amateur video editing tools didn’t gave me the desired results. So I copied the unchanged (only converted to xvid) video on an USB-stick and plugged it into my TV ... wow, great surprise: the animation didn’t looked dull anymore, maybe some kind of low key (slightly) but overall satisfying.

(Please don’t give me a lesson on color profiles, rgb, adobe-rgb, wide gamut etc., and I know already, that the color space of notebook displays is even worse than on desktop monitors.)

What I want to know is how the “dull” looking renders of Carrara look on hard-copies in real life. I don’t have a color printer. I don’t know how a Carrara render looks on a digital printer. Any experience?

(PS: if I don’t answer on topics of my own threads: this forum has a special way to deal with topic-reply-notifications ... smile )

2 of 2