Digital Art Zone

6 of 10
3D Model Master Training - Is it worth it?
Posted: 22 August 2012 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  132
Joined  2005-10-11

Thought you took it earlier .........no clue then. wink

Signature 

My YouTube channel 
www.blenderportal.com

Posted: 22 August 2012 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1096
Joined  2007-10-15
megacal - 22 August 2012 10:53 PM

Thought you took it earlier .........no clue then. wink

Nope, I took it not long after you implied to everyone I was being dishonest. Well, I took a swim first, but right after that.

BTW, I really don’t appreciate it when someone implies I’m being dishonest. I’m sure you didn’t intend that, but your post certainly read that way.

As usual, some people here seem to have rules that apply to everyone but themselves. Aren’t you the guy who said “i.e. be civil, do unto others, etc. Just universal, common courtesy.” ??

Posted: 22 August 2012 11:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2208
Joined  2008-01-28

well it’s not round here it’s ‘p87879ing’ off shore at the moment

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FVH3t8kDXso/UDW-AQlOc6I/AAAAAAAAGUs/KPkbeVTFW5M/s1600/IMG_7272.jpg

Joe….

at the risk of stating the obvious, I think you are mixing up people not taking your advice with people insulting you
we all love you Joe, you give good advice ...

sorry about the crappy pic megacal, I had to stand up from my computer and take it wink
I get dizzy when I leave the wacom for more than ten seconds
and I need to get the graphite outa my thumbnail smile

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 23 August 2012 12:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-10-11

Beautiful view mate! I can see why it would be difficult to look at
while your shoulder heals. cheese

you implied to everyone I was being dishonest.

Joe, 
LOL! Are you kidding???
That’s a good one. tongue laugh

Signature 

My YouTube channel 
www.blenderportal.com

Posted: 23 August 2012 02:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28
megacal - 23 August 2012 12:49 AM

Beautiful view mate! I can see why it would be difficult to look at
while your shoulder heals. cheese

smile

Signature 

Posted: 23 August 2012 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  398
Joined  2006-08-21
megacal - 22 August 2012 07:23 PM

I think you do want us to know that you have the experience, knowledge, and skill set of someone “in the industry”,
and that’s fine. In fact, I’d like to know more about what you do, and have done. (btw, do you have a website or youtube
or demo reel, etc?)

Yeah, what about that? Would love to see some of your work, Joe. Post a link.

Signature 

CG and Me

Posted: 23 August 2012 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-10-11

Call me impulsive (my wife does =), but just purchased Waldemar’s Animation Master series.....also included
17 GB’s of bonus anim training.

Seemed like a safe bet at $57 with a 30-day money back if not satisfied, and wanted an Animation course
anyway…..seemed like a very timely offer…...is he watching this thread???

FYI, just got the email offer today, so don’t know how long it’s good…..assume it’s open to anyone. 

Re: Model Master…...got past the first few mods that were really mostly for total noobs,
but am getting into the meatier stuff and find it informative.

Can’t say yet it was worth the price, but am more optimistic. wink

That’ll do it for me for a while….need to spend time on learning now.

Signature 

My YouTube channel 
www.blenderportal.com

Posted: 23 August 2012 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-08-21
megacal - 23 August 2012 01:46 PM

Call me impulsive (my wife does =), but just purchased Waldemar’s Animation Master series.....also included
17 GB’s of bonus anim training.

Seemed like a safe bet at $57 with a 30-day money back if not satisfied, and wanted an Animation course
anyway…..seemed like a very timely offer…...is he watching this thread???

FYI, just got the email offer today, so don’t know how long it’s good…..assume it’s open to anyone. 

Re: Model Master…...got past the first few mods that were really mostly for total noobs,
but am getting into the meatier stuff and find it informative.

Can’t say yet it was worth the price, but am more optimistic. wink

That’ll do it for me for a while….need to spend time on learning now.

OK! I’m going to be using you as my giunea pig. I’m interested in the animation course as well as the modeling one. Keep me posted. I don’t care about these other guys(gals). You’re working for me nowl:lol:

Signature 

CG and Me

Posted: 23 August 2012 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28

yes me too smile

Not that I have any principles/principals…
but
you know I wouldn’t do the course on principal/principle (?) because

Waldemar has long hair and he once sent me an email with a spelling mistake… wink

Mind you, when I wrote to him and told him about the spelling mistake he was kind enough to write back and apologise…

(true story)

But seriously, learning a little bit from different teachers is a great idea. I’m sure it will be excellent - as someone said - the post work hints were worth the cost of admission…

Signature 

Posted: 24 August 2012 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  463
Joined  2011-11-12
JoeMamma2000 - 22 August 2012 03:16 AM

Like I said, jimzombie, it’s up to you. There are alternatives out there, and if you think this is the best one, then go right ahead. I never said the course has zero value. That’s not the point. The point is whether you’d get a much greater bang for your buck with another program.

I can pretty much guarantee there are courses out there taught by guys who are much better instructors with far more appropriate and practical experience, at comparable prices. Would you rather be taught lighting by this guy, or a guy who worked for 15 years at Disney, and also taught the artists who worked on some of their major films? It’s up to you. All I can do is offer my advice, based on my experience. If you don’t want to take it, it really doesn’t matter to me. I ain’t the one payin’, and I ain’t the one complainin’ ....  smile

Funny, in some parts of the world people actually appreciate when others give advice that might help them out, or keep them from making a wrong turn. Not here. Here people argue with advice. Go figure. 

Advice is fine, but I (and I assume ot5hers too) appreciate it more when it isn’t coming from above upon the wings of superior beings condescending to my level (especially when most of it is stating the obvious). In general I don’t see any training package as being a wrong turn (unless it contains inaccurate information and/or is overpriced. The DL packages are neither, especially if buying the MM at the discounted price (contains LM too). Just because one buys one training package it doesn’t mean another couldn’t be bought as well. Did you get through university with just one text book per field?

What other training packages are available that you know of - believe it or not this is one of the helpful pieces of info. I purchased MM because it was a general, basic course. (I purchased it before this thread began). It is likely I will purchase Phil Wilkes’ Carrara Training Bundle. For a more detailed Carrara oriented product.

Signature 

My 3D/DAZ/Poser news blog - DigiSprawl

Posted: 24 August 2012 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-08-21

Phil’s training is very good. For Carrara specific training you can’t go wrong. I haven’t gotten the Advanced course, but I’m hoping for Santa to be very generous this Christmas.

Signature 

CG and Me

Posted: 24 August 2012 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-10-11

Yeah,  I’ll ask Santa for Phil’s Advanced Carrara set,  too.  We’re doubly fortunate to have him
here as a mate, too.  wink

re: Waldemar’s animation course....haven’t had time yet to evaluate it,  but first impressions are
very good. He’s pretty “laid back”.  cheese

It also “semi-generic”, and will benefit someone who already is familiar with 3D apps, but
that’s a plus for me…...it will force me to think globally, and see the Big Picture, or in this
case, the Big Animation. smile

Signature 

My YouTube channel 
www.blenderportal.com

Posted: 24 August 2012 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  463
Joined  2011-11-12

booksbydavid: “Phil’s training is very good. For Carrara specific training you can’t go wrong. I haven’t gotten the Advanced course, but I’m hoping for Santa to be very generous this Christmas.”

Seems very good indeed - was just checking out the “free” lessons and learnt quite a bit already. It is amazing how many cool little features are hiding in plain sight. My birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks and I think santa is coming early wink

I’m a total Carrara newb and have a couple of false starts at getting into it - put off by the seemingly clunky interface and GUI (which really isn’t so bad once you get in there and have a good play), but more importantly by the lack of Genesis support which, as someone who joined in the fun as the new model was just breaking out, is quite important. Things are still a little shaky there, but seem to be getting better.

Megacal: “We’re doubly fortunate to have him” I have seen him about in the short time I’ve been here, so it is good to know there are quite a number of skilled users that frequent the place.

“It also “semi-generic”” - that’s one of the best parts of it. It is very generic stuff, but still dips into those selected programs enough to give clear instructions.

Signature 

My 3D/DAZ/Poser news blog - DigiSprawl

Posted: 27 August 2012 04:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1399
Joined  2011-01-03
booksbydavid - 23 August 2012 06:52 PM

OK! I’m going to be using you as my giunea pig. I’m interested in the animation course as well as the modeling one. Keep me posted. I don’t care about these other guys(gals). You’re working for me nowl:lol:

Ditto! I am really torn on buying anything else from this guy given his penchant for rambling almost aimlessly and - more importantly - for spamming my inbox.

I’m not sure that I am ready to do animation yet; but it might be fun to get into.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 27 August 2012 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-10-11

Ditto! I am really torn on buying anything else from this guy given his penchant for rambling almost aimlessly and - more importantly - for spamming my inbox.

I’m not sure that I am ready to do animation yet; but it might be fun to get into.

I agree….the rambling and the spam…...and the doodling. LOL 

Haven’t had much time to settle down and listen, much less to apply what he’s teaching,
but hope to spend at least an hour a day on the videos…...this is going to take a few months to
get through.

re: Animation…......it’s very fun & addicting! In fact, I rarely bother with stills…....just pick a frame from
the movie.

And that Beast you put together recently sounds like it was born to animate mate! smile

Cararra has some great animation features…...the timeline and curve editor are a piece of cake.
Also the Point At and the Spin modifiers make it very easy to track motion.

I’m hoping and optimistic that the Animation Master course will give me some new ideas. smile

Signature 

My YouTube channel 
www.blenderportal.com

6 of 10