Digital Art Zone

5 of 10
3D Model Master Training - Is it worth it?
Posted: 22 August 2012 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  140
Joined  2005-05-21
Garstor - 22 August 2012 11:08 AM
JoeMamma2000 - 22 August 2012 03:16 AM

Funny, in some parts of the world people actually appreciate when others give advice that might help them out, or keep them from making a wrong turn. Not here. Here people argue with advice. Go figure.

Not always. The presentation of the advice goes a long way towards people accepting it…

Ah. I don’t understand that, maybe it’s my brain. To me, the usefulness of advice is what’s important.

The most useful thing to my 3D work has been my background in set and scene lighting, and various arts, not any 3D tool or tutorial I’ve tried. But that’s me.

Posted: 22 August 2012 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5451
Joined  2006-08-27
CarltonMartin - 22 August 2012 02:26 PM

Funny, in some parts of the world people actually appreciate when others give advice that might help them out, or keep them from making a wrong turn. Not here. Here people argue with advice. Go figure.

Not always. The presentation of the advice goes a long way towards people accepting it…

Ah. I don’t understand that, maybe it’s my brain. To me, the usefulness of advice is what’s important.

The most useful thing to my 3D work has been my background in set and scene lighting, and various arts, not any 3D tool or tutorial I’ve tried. But that’s me.

The advice is important yes, but depending on the presentation, it might not be perceived as advice.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 22 August 2012 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2007-10-15
evilproducer - 22 August 2012 03:20 PM

The advice is important yes, but depending on the presentation, it might not be perceived as advice.

If someone advises you to slow down when you’re driving because there’s a kid crossing the road in front of you, and you choose to ignore it because the guy didn’t say it nicely, then who’s the idiot?

I don’t care if you ignore my advice, for whatever reason you choose. I’m not the one who loses.

Posted: 22 August 2012 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2041
Joined  2008-01-28

JoeMamama wroteth

I don’t care if you ignore my advice, for whatever reason you choose. I’m not the one who loses.

That’s not quite true Joe. You are obviously a well meaning, intelligent guy with a wealth of knowledge who is intent on sharing it.
But why are you are intent on sharing it?
There can be only a few reasons.
For example:
Either you want us to know that you have a wealth of knowledge….
Or that you really do want people to take your advice.
Of course the two are not mutually exclusive - but I am going for the second reason wink

EDIT: removed last line because I was preaching - sorry Joe. wink 

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 22 August 2012 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
JoeMamma2000 - 22 August 2012 03:49 PM

If someone advises you to slow down when you’re driving because there’s a kid crossing the road in front of you, and you choose to ignore it because the guy didn’t say it nicely, then who’s the idiot?

Resort to hyperbole much? There’s a difference between what I said in the context of the discussion and your answer and you know it.

Signature 

Posted: 22 August 2012 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15
head wax - 22 August 2012 04:35 PM

JoeMamama wroteth

That’s not quite true Joe. You are obviously a well meaning, intelligent guy with a wealth of knowledge who is intent on sharing it.
For example:
Of course the two are not mutually exclusive - but I am going for the second reason wink

EDIT: removed last line because I was preaching - sorry Joe. wink

Headwax, maybe in your world all people have negative motives, like you imply, and those are the only two possibilities.

However, there are other reasons why someone would freely give advice, even after 5 or so years of people ignoring it and arguing with it. One is they are an idiot, which is definitely true in my case. Another is they are insane (doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results), which, again is true in my case.

And maybe you can’t comprehend this one, but it’s true. Another is that some people really do love this craft, and want others to discover and enjoy it in ways they may not have considered. Some teachers understand this, because they feel the same way. And often they realize it’s a thankless task, and keep going on the hope that there’s one kid out there who will benefit from what they learned sometime in the future. Sure, it would be nice to get some appreciation once a year, but for now I’ll settle for people like you who try to knock me and my motives, solely because I try to help.

I continue to hope that there’s someone quietly reading these forums, who isn’t swayed by the loud haters and naysayers, who might actually benefit from what I post. If you can extract some sort of negative motive in all of that, then yes, I’m guilty of being whatever you want to characterize me as. Because with all due respect, what I post is not for you, or the others who try to knock me down, it’s for the quiet guy who may be paying attention in the background. I already know where you guys stand, and your responses really don’t matter.

Posted: 22 August 2012 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  959
Joined  2006-06-12
CarltonMartin - 22 August 2012 02:26 PM

Thanks EvilProducer

That’s what I was hoping someone would say.
You can have the best advice in the world, but if you come off the wrong way, people might not be able to hear you.
It really isn’t hard to communicate ideas without insulting someone.

Signature 

There is a serious tendency toward capitalism among the well-to-do peasants.
Mao Tse-Tung

Posted: 22 August 2012 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2005-10-11

You are obviously a well meaning, intelligent guy with a wealth of knowledge who is intent on sharing it.
For example:
Of course the two are not mutually exclusive - but I am going for the second reason

Joe,
headwax is a good guy, and was cutting you some slack.

what I post is not for you, or the others who try to knock me down,

You don’t really think headwax was trying to knock you down? No way!

I read what he deleted and think he just was saying essentially, it matters how you (anyone) treat others as to how they
accept what you are saying, or whether they listen at all, i.e. be civil, do unto others, etc. Just universal, common courtesy.

I’m sure he gives you credit as one who speaks with some degree of knowledge and experience. He’s a pro in his own right,
though he doesn’t flaunt it.

I think you do want us to know that you have the experience, knowledge, and skill set of someone “in the industry”,
and that’s fine. In fact, I’d like to know more about what you do, and have done. (btw, do you have a website or youtube
or demo reel, etc?)

And I also appreciate the fact that you try to share your knowledge and experience with us here in spite of
your schedule.

Just trying to be a peace maker.  wink

Signature 

My YouTube channel 
www.blenderportal.com

Posted: 22 August 2012 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15

And with that I will gracefully bow out of this and let you guys have the last word, and believe what you want to believe. The ocean is calling. smile

Posted: 22 August 2012 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-10-11

Yeah,  “I want to believe” smile

And the ocean is calling us, too, eh, headwax? wink

Peace bro. smile

Signature 

My YouTube channel 
www.blenderportal.com

Posted: 22 August 2012 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

Enjoy the stars Joe, unless it’s cloudy of course. wink

Signature 

Posted: 22 August 2012 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2041
Joined  2008-01-28
megacal - 22 August 2012 08:26 PM

Peace bro. smile

smile

Well it’s been calling me for a while now… normally it says somehting like ‘stop %$#$#@$#@#@ rendering and get wet instead”
smile

1 month to go and I am repaired enough to be back in the water !
gah!

cheers from Oz

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 22 August 2012 10:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15
megacal - 22 August 2012 08:26 PM

Peace bro. smile

Ye of little faith…

Looks like it’s gonna be stormy tonite….

Image Attachments
Carrara.jpg

Posted: 22 August 2012 10:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-10-11

Malibu?

We could use a good storm.  tongue rolleye

Signature 

My YouTube channel 
www.blenderportal.com

Posted: 22 August 2012 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15

Dude, it’s nighttime in Malibu. Where I am it’s daytime.

5 of 10