Digital Art Zone

2 of 10
3D Model Master Training - Is it worth it?
Posted: 22 July 2012 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1373
Joined  2011-01-03

I am about to dive in and purchase the Model Master training. I’ll report back to this thread after I’ve got a feel for its pace and content.

I am sincerely hoping that it helps me with some of JoeMamma’s key points—learning the generic basics before diving into a specific piece of software.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 22 July 2012 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1802
Joined  2011-07-31
Garstor - 19 July 2012 02:11 PM
AtticAnne - 19 July 2012 10:40 AM

I am in the Dreamlight course.  He is very knowledgeable and I like (and read) the segments for each of the programs.  As an absolute newcomer to modeling and 3D, I haven’t gotten very much out of it.  I need step by step instruction, spelled out in detail, in print.  For those with more experience, such as knowing how to use your program of choice, I can see the value of the course though.

Hi AtticAnne!

Do you think you haven’t gotten much out of it due to being a newcomer? Perhaps not yet able to grasp what concepts are the most important (and as you can see in this thread, those are debatable!)?

Yes, not only a newcomer to 3D, but also to Hexagon.  I could open the program, but didn’t have any idea of what to do next.  I was expecting (and hoping) for something more basic, with assignments given.

Signature 

AtticAnne in Austin TX

FREE GANGSTER RPG GAME

Posted: 22 July 2012 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  934
Joined  2006-06-12

There is another recent thread (this one I believe: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/4021/) that set the differences between hobbyist and professional quite nicely. For me, I am playing around with Carrara and if a nice / interesting scene comes of it, so much the better. I am not making money off of it with models or animation.

There is another thread that explains the difference between Pros and hobbyists and if I can find it, I will post it for you to read.

The thread you referenced has the air that if you aren’t working for ILM making a couple hundred thousand a year, somehow you aren’t a “real” pro. That kind of thing is bogus and poisonous and should be avoided at all cost.

I’m glad to see you are interested in Carrara. Basic principles are important, just as knowing what dials to spin. Hopefully you can learn what you need to learn to reach your own personal goals.

Best of luck!
cool smile

Signature 

There is a serious tendency toward capitalism among the well-to-do peasants.
Mao Tse-Tung

Posted: 26 July 2012 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03

I have not forgotten about this thread! I have been downloading all of the video files first.

I can tell you that I am unimpressed with the website and its navigation. It is full of “one-way streets” with no menu options to return from whence you came (save for the browser back button). Upon signing up with Dreamlight, I have been receiving regular emails—not quiiiiite spam but pretty darn close.

The messages generally concern other 3D topics provided by Dreamlight - building a space battle scene, building a nude model scene, etc. - so I don’t mind that so much. However, yesterday I did receive an email with the subject line “Free Report: Crush Stress And Claim Back Your Life Now.” This has nothing to do with Dreamlight’s services and I am not pleased with that. I suspect that by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link that I may have removed myself from the email ads that I actually do give a very slight damn about…

Lastly, the signup process gave me access to the free video “3 devastating habits that prevent you from creating stunning DAZ Studio 3D art and how you can stop them today…” This video is a 35 minute sermon about having confidence in your skills and the earth-shattering revelation that learning never ends—hence my emphasis above should taken with a serious dose of sarcasm.

This video could have easily been condensed to 12 minutes and still considered long-running. Hopefully this verbosity and repetition doesn’t translate to the technical content stuff. I should get around to reporting on that over the weekend.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

Posted: 04 August 2012 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03

Well, I am slowly working my way through 3D Model Master training. As previously mentioned, the training is extremely verbose. Even the simplest concepts are needlessly drawn out.

I am currently in Module 4—which is where the basic concepts (points, polygons, move, resize, etc.) are started to be explained. The training is done inside Lightwave but occasionally Carrara, Hexagon, Blender and Wings 3D are shown.

Thus far, I have to say that PhilW’s Infinite Skills training is far superiour with its focus on Carrara. I do hope that forthcoming modules on UV Mapping and creating textures in Photoshop will help advance my Carrara skills. Time will tell.

Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 04 August 2012 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2006-08-21
Garstor - 04 August 2012 08:57 AM

Well, I am slowly working my way through 3D Model Master training. As previously mentioned, the training is extremely verbose. Even the simplest concepts are needlessly drawn out.

I am currently in Module 4—which is where the basic concepts (points, polygons, move, resize, etc.) are started to be explained. The training is done inside Lightwave but occasionally Carrara, Hexagon, Blender and Wings 3D are shown.

Thus far, I have to say that PhilW’s Infinite Skills training is far superiour with its focus on Carrara. I do hope that forthcoming modules on UV Mapping and creating textures in Photoshop will help advance my Carrara skills. Time will tell.

Keep us up to date. Would love to know if it does get any better.

I’ve done the Light Master training. I agree about the verbosity. He does tend to over talk his points.

Signature 

CG and Me

Posted: 06 August 2012 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2007-10-15
FirstBastion - 20 July 2012 05:04 AM

There are free web tutorials like “Geeks at Play” that will teach you whatever you need to know to become a 3D modeler.

That’s pretty funny…  smile

Oh, wait, were you being serious??

Posted: 07 August 2012 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-08-21
JoeMamma2000 - 06 August 2012 07:03 PM

There are free web tutorials like “Geeks at Play” that will teach you whatever you need to know to become a 3D modeler.

http://www.geekatplay.com/

Signature 

CG and Me

Posted: 07 August 2012 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2007-10-15
booksbydavid - 07 August 2012 09:21 AM

Sorry, I should have been clearer with my sarcasm…

I was in no way denigrating the geekatplay tutorials. They do a very nice job of explaining some of the tools in Hexagon, and I’ve used those tutorials myself. Good stuff.

My comment was directed at the “...will teach you whatever you need to know to become a 3D modeller”. I suppose I could go into a long explanation of how expert/professional 3D modellers who’ve been doing this for many years would laugh at that statement, but I’m sure it would only make people upset. So I won’t.

Posted: 08 August 2012 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-08-21
JoeMamma2000 - 07 August 2012 04:47 PM
booksbydavid - 07 August 2012 09:21 AM

Sorry, I should have been clearer with my sarcasm…

I was in no way denigrating the geekatplay tutorials. They do a very nice job of explaining some of the tools in Hexagon, and I’ve used those tutorials myself. Good stuff.

My comment was directed at the “...will teach you whatever you need to know to become a 3D modeller”. I suppose I could go into a long explanation of how expert/professional 3D modellers who’ve been doing this for many years would laugh at that statement, but I’m sure it would only make people upset. So I won’t.

Not suggesting you were denigrating geekatplay. I only thought you might not know about it, so I provided the link.

Signature 

CG and Me

Posted: 19 August 2012 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
booksbydavid - 04 August 2012 09:48 AM

Keep us up to date. Would love to know if it does get any better.

I’ve done the Light Master training. I agree about the verbosity. He does tend to over talk his points.

Greetings gang! Sorry about being gone for so long; but life happens y’know?

So I managed to get to module 7 of DreamLight’s Model Master Training—UV Maps. I have to admit, I think this training was worth the purchase price just for this module!

Let’s get the criticism out of the way first though. We have already mentioned how verbose this guy is…dragging on even the simplest of points for many, many minutes. He often repeats things that do not bear repeating. This is by far the hardest part to endure with this training package.

I’ve made no secret about loving PhilW’s Infinite Skills training for Carrara; but I have to confess that I did not understand the UV mapping section on the first pass. My learning style tends to be layering different sources of information—saying the same thing with different words, so to speak. So combined with these forums, the IS training (I re-watched the UV mapping section) and the DreamLight training…I can say that I have a pretty good conceptual grasp on UV mapping now.

The DL training is focused on Lightwave, but occasionally other 3D tools are shown for comparison. DL seems to have very little respect for Carrara and when he shows UV mapping in Carrara he repeatedly states that Carrara makes it harder than it needs to be. Perhaps he is right, but Phil’s IS training showed off Carrara UV mapping features that DL raved about in Hexagon but completely ignored in Carrara. I thought that was unfair.

I am now looking forward to the DL module on using Photoshop to create textures. I hope that this helps solidify the UV mapping concepts in my mind.

Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 19 August 2012 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2005-10-11

I get paid next week and if the mortgage doesn’t entirely wipe out my bank account, I just might pick-up this package and report back to this thread!  wink

- Garstor

I’d say go for it, just because he teaches it semi-generically…..he may have some great tips that would
make the whole process more efficient. It isn’t meant for a total noob.

He does include info that is specific to Carrara, Blender, LW, Hex when necessary.

And it’s 1/2 price with a 30-day refund. Sounds interesting, especially for larger projects.

I vote 2 thumbs up. smile 

BTW, would get it myself but am interested in smaller things, e.g. caustics in Carrara & Blender,
and have plenty of tutorials already.

Signature 

My YouTube channel 
www.blenderportal.com

Posted: 19 August 2012 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-10-11

.....I’d be a lot less apt to purchase if it was full price without knowing
what the instructor or training was like, though it may still be worth it.

Would be good if there was a free sample so you know you can at least
understand him, e.g. PhilW’s tutorials. He’s not loud but he is clear
and well organized…..essential for a video tutorial instructor.

edited to add….check the bonus list! =O

Yeah, I think it’s a good deal. smile

Signature 

My YouTube channel 
www.blenderportal.com

Posted: 19 August 2012 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-10-11

Well, after mulling it over & weighing the pros & cons, decided to push the button and
get it (putting my money where my mouth is), but too late,  looks like it’s back up to full price. =(

Too bad.

Later…..emailed Waldemar and asked for a special dispensation for anyone who
wants to purchase for $96….......hope to hear back soon and will let you know.

Cross your fingers. smile

Signature 

My YouTube channel 
www.blenderportal.com

Posted: 20 August 2012 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-10-11

Boy, did I step in THAT ONE!!!  LOL! 

Garstor,

Sorry! Just realized that I totally missed the fact that you already purchased the
course (for $96, I hope), and are well into it.

No excuse......will try to pay better attention to what has been already
posted!

Apologies to all! 

BTW,
Waldemar has not replied to my query about the price…...i.e. if the 1/2 price
deal is still available. But after reading your review, sounds like the money would
be better spent on PhilW’s Advanced Carrara training......so I’ll pass on the DL deal.

But hope you are getting some benefit from the DL course in spite of the verbosity.

Signature 

My YouTube channel 
www.blenderportal.com

2 of 10