Digital Art Zone

2 of 8
DAZ Install Manager (DIM) 1.1.0.27, Now Available!  [Updated]
Posted: 04 June 2014 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1007
Joined  2007-10-17
Vaskania - 04 June 2014 12:18 PM

4) Added support for mapping the application path of the Creative Cloud (CC) version of Photoshop; product packages require individual updates to support installation to a mapped CC path, which will be published over the next few days

Does this mean we can stop telling people the bridge doesn’t work with CC, or does this only apply for installing things like brushes, actions, etc?

On the Mac the Bridge works with CC, with this release. Windows will probably be next release. (It required more work.)

Posted: 04 June 2014 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2003-10-09
Richard Haseltine - 04 June 2014 05:20 AM

Valentina is still needed for Carrara 8.5 at this time. Some users can dispense with it, and it would no doubt be polite to allow them to opt out of installing, but it is understandable that DAZ wants to ensure it’s there if needed and more experienced users can remove it if they wish rather than have it be optional and deselected by users who do need it.

Yes, but it still took somebody asking a question in the forum to clarify what was going on. I don’t want services running on my machine that aren’t doing anything, and I don’t want DAZ to reinstall them when I’ve previously uninstalled them - at least not without asking first!

Microsoft do this kind of thing all the time (the non-rollbackable Windows 8.1 update breaking Poser 8/9 springs to mind as just one out of many examples) and it is extremely annoying!

Posted: 05 June 2014 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  174
Joined  2003-10-09

Valentina is still needed for Carrara 8.5 at this time.

So, when is the update to Carrara, the DAZ flagship application, due out?

Posted: 05 June 2014 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1020
Joined  2003-10-09

Re the CMS thing. Even though replacing the backend database and making it transparent from within Studio itself is not only a good thing it’s a GREAT thing, it still causes confusion—mainly because of the name ‘CMS’.

I uninstalled CMS-valentina after I installed CMS-postgreSQL. But I’m not sure whether DIM just reinstalled CMS or not.

In Task Manager under Services I have a DAZ Content Management Service
    under Processes there is a Content Index Service and a Content Management Service.exe

Now those could all be CMS-PGM, and probably are, instead of CMS-Valentina.

In Start Menu I have the Start, Stop, and Uninstall CMS entries. Which I assume mean CMS-PGM and not CMS-Valentina or I could be wrong.

The Kicker is there is NO uninstaller for CMS in the DIM program folder as before which leads me to believe that DIM did NOT install CMS again.

But see how confusing it can be. If those Start Menu entries I mentioned are NOT the old CMS then it would be easy for someone to uninstall CMS-postgre by mistake thinking they are uninstalling the CMS that DIM reinstalled. But if they ARE for the old CMS-Valentina then I will uninstall tout suite because the only explanation for DIM NOT reinstalling CMS-valentina is that it thinks it already exists. And since I thought I had two of them on my machine but could only find one (DIM) when I went to uninstall because I thought the Start Menu items now referred to CMS-PGS.

Soooooooooooo basically do those start menu entries refer to the old one or the new one?

Posted: 05 June 2014 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Oh, BTW, thank you thank you for fixing that disconnection problem! Refresh now works!!

Posted: 05 June 2014 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8697
Joined  2007-11-06
Spit - 05 June 2014 06:42 PM

Re the CMS thing. Even though replacing the backend database and making it transparent from within Studio itself is not only a good thing it’s a GREAT thing, it still causes confusion—mainly because of the name ‘CMS’.

I uninstalled CMS-valentina after I installed CMS-postgreSQL. But I’m not sure whether DIM just reinstalled CMS or not.

In Task Manager under Services I have a DAZ Content Management Service
    under Processes there is a Content Index Service and a Content Management Service.exe

Now those could all be CMS-PGM, and probably are, instead of CMS-Valentina.

In Start Menu I have the Start, Stop, and Uninstall CMS entries. Which I assume mean CMS-PGM and not CMS-Valentina or I could be wrong.

The Kicker is there is NO uninstaller for CMS in the DIM program folder as before which leads me to believe that DIM did NOT install CMS again.

But see how confusing it can be. If those Start Menu entries I mentioned are NOT the old CMS then it would be easy for someone to uninstall CMS-postgre by mistake thinking they are uninstalling the CMS that DIM reinstalled. But if they ARE for the old CMS-Valentina then I will uninstall tout suite because the only explanation for DIM NOT reinstalling CMS-valentina is that it thinks it already exists. And since I thought I had two of them on my machine but could only find one (DIM) when I went to uninstall because I thought the Start Menu items now referred to CMS-PGS.

Soooooooooooo basically do those start menu entries refer to the old one or the new one?

The Start Menu items are for the old Valentina CMS.  Right now when you upgrade DIM it will reinstall the Valentina CMS if you’ve uninstalled it.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 05 June 2014 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
wiz - 05 June 2014 04:24 PM

Valentina is still needed for Carrara 8.5 at this time.

So, when is the update to Carrara, the DAZ flagship application, due out?

They aren’t ready to announce a date yet.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 06 June 2014 12:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
fixmypcmike - 05 June 2014 09:03 PM

The Start Menu items are for the old Valentina CMS.  Right now when you upgrade DIM it will reinstall the Valentina CMS if you’ve uninstalled it.

Great! Thank you. That explains a lot. I clicked the ‘uninstall’ entry and I shan’t worry about it no more. smile

Posted: 07 June 2014 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  352
Joined  2004-03-03

I started using DIM a couple of releases ago when we could finally NOT use the Public Documents folder. It’s been working fine ... except for one thing:

Recently the Starship Harpoon showed an update for the Poser installer. I updated. But DIM KEEPS ON showing an update for it. And then ... was it the day before yesterday? .... Mystic Giselle 6 showed an update in DIM, and I updated. But now DIM shows Mystic Giselle 6 as an update too every time. So I seem to be stuck with these two - the Starship Harpoon Poser format installer (but not the DS format installer) and the Mystic Giselle 6 installer just constantly showing as updates every DIM start or refresh. I’ve updated them; updated them again, uninstalled and reinstalled, uninstalled and deleted and re-downloaded and reinstalled. Nothing seems to make a difference - those two just seem permanently stuck showing as updates. I have had other things show as updates and install without this problem - it’s just these two.

Anyone know the cause of this and how to fix it? There was something in another thread a few weeks ago about doing something to reset the DIM internal counts, but I can’t remember what it was or how to do it; would that be the thing to do, and if so, how is it done?

Posted: 07 June 2014 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
DavidGB - 07 June 2014 08:48 AM

I started using DIM a couple of releases ago when we could finally NOT use the Public Documents folder. It’s been working fine ... except for one thing:

Recently the Starship Harpoon showed an update for the Poser installer. I updated. But DIM KEEPS ON showing an update for it. And then ... was it the day before yesterday? .... Mystic Giselle 6 showed an update in DIM, and I updated. But now DIM shows Mystic Giselle 6 as an update too every time. So I seem to be stuck with these two - the Starship Harpoon Poser format installer (but not the DS format installer) and the Mystic Giselle 6 installer just constantly showing as updates every DIM start or refresh. I’ve updated them; updated them again, uninstalled and reinstalled, uninstalled and deleted and re-downloaded and reinstalled. Nothing seems to make a difference - those two just seem permanently stuck showing as updates. I have had other things show as updates and install without this problem - it’s just these two.

Anyone know the cause of this and how to fix it? There was something in another thread a few weeks ago about doing something to reset the DIM internal counts, but I can’t remember what it was or how to do it; would that be the thing to do, and if so, how is it done?

FixInstalledFileRegistry wouldn’t help with this.  I’ve seen this happen when they accidentally create a new download instead of an update download, but I’m not seeing it for Starship Harpoon.  If you look at the DIM log, does it say anything like this:

Product 14532-3:Elven Hair for Genesis PoserCF is repeated
[deleted lines]
Product 1487-1:Treasures of Egypt 2 is repeated
[deleted lines]
2 records were repeated product downloads.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 07 June 2014 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-03-03

No. The log just has:

Processed 493 installed products, totaling 37.5 GB
Product 1751-1 has the same name as 2295-1:Allosaurus
Product 1695-1 has the same name as 2296-1:Gallimimus
Processed 1619 products with 2331 unique product downloads
Current Content Install Path:

(I’ve only used DIM on all the Genesis/Genesis 2 stuff and everything else released since the first Genesis release - I’m leaving everything earlier just installed as it was. Hence 1600+ available downloads showing.)

I did not do a fresh Library install with DIM, but am still using my old DAZ My Library. After starting with DIM (just a couple of versions back when Rob posted how to alter paths so Public Documents wasn’t used), I ran all the .exe uninstallers I had for products from the Genesis release onwards, then used DIM to reinstall. But I hadn’t had uninstallers created for everything and so DIM installed quite a few things over the original .exe installs. Initially there were no problems. Then there was the Starship Harpoon update, which gave this problem with the Poser files (but NOT the DAZ files). And now the Mystic Goselle 6 thing (which is a new product, so not one of the things I did a DIM install over an .exe one). It’s POSSIBLE (I’m not sure - I am very hazy, with very poor memory thanks to the combo of pain and side-effect of pain medications) that these might be two things I initially DIM installed into the wrong place (i.e. had my main Poser runtime selected while installing a DS product, and my DS Library selected while installing a Poser product). I know I’ve done that a few times before noticing and uninstalling/reinstalling to the right place. It’s POSSIBLE I had the wrong place selected for installing the update to (e.g. having the Poser runtime selected when installing the Mystic Giselle 6 UPDATE, while the original was correctly installed to the DS Library), then corrected, and that might have messed up the internal counts.

I remember reading ... I think it was rbtwhiz, posting about how the internal count of number of installs/uninstalls by DIM can go wrong in DIM, creating problems, and a way to reset the counts. I’m wondering if that’s the issue here. But I can’t remember the details, and I haven’t been able to find the relevant posts - the DAZ forum search is really pathetic.

Posted: 07 June 2014 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
DavidGB - 07 June 2014 12:44 PM

No. The log just has:

Processed 493 installed products, totaling 37.5 GB
Product 1751-1 has the same name as 2295-1:Allosaurus
Product 1695-1 has the same name as 2296-1:Gallimimus
Processed 1619 products with 2331 unique product downloads
Current Content Install Path:

(I’ve only used DIM on all the Genesis/Genesis 2 stuff and everything else released since the first Genesis release - I’m leaving everything earlier just installed as it was. Hence 1600+ available downloads showing.)

I did not do a fresh Library install with DIM, but am still using my old DAZ My Library. After starting with DIM (just a couple of versions back when Rob posted how to alter paths so Public Documents wasn’t used), I ran all the .exe uninstallers I had for products from the Genesis release onwards, then used DIM to reinstall. But I hadn’t had uninstallers created for everything and so DIM installed quite a few things over the original .exe installs. Initially there were no problems. Then there was the Starship Harpoon update, which gave this problem with the Poser files (but NOT the DAZ files). And now the Mystic Goselle 6 thing (which is a new product, so not one of the things I did a DIM install over an .exe one). It’s POSSIBLE (I’m not sure - I am very hazy, with very poor memory thanks to the combo of pain and side-effect of pain medications) that these might be two things I initially DIM installed into the wrong place (i.e. had my main Poser runtime selected while installing a DS product, and my DS Library selected while installing a Poser product). I know I’ve done that a few times before noticing and uninstalling/reinstalling to the right place. It’s POSSIBLE I had the wrong place selected for installing the update to (e.g. having the Poser runtime selected when installing the Mystic Giselle 6 UPDATE, while the original was correctly installed to the DS Library), then corrected, and that might have messed up the internal counts.

I remember reading ... I think it was rbtwhiz, posting about how the internal count of number of installs/uninstalls by DIM can go wrong in DIM, creating problems, and a way to reset the counts. I’m wondering if that’s the issue here. But I can’t remember the details, and I haven’t been able to find the relevant posts - the DAZ forum search is really pathetic.

I don’t think it’s relate to your problem—Fix Installed File Registry makes sure DIM won’t leave behind files when uninstalling because they were installed manually before being installed with DIM, but it doesn’t change DIM’s listing of what products are installed.

Do you have content updates set to install to the respective installed paths?  That avoids accidentally installing an update to the wrong location.  But again, that wouldn’t cause DIM to treat something as not installed.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 07 June 2014 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-03-03

Fixed it at last.

Still have no idea why it started with those two packages.

Posted: 08 June 2014 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4544
Joined  2004-08-11

Is there a setting to tell DIM to download just one item at a time?  It’s eating up to much of my bandwidth that I can’t browse and I loose my internet radio connectivity!  I don’t like that!

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 08 June 2014 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7681
Joined  2006-03-19

Just check the box next to the pack and download that one pack

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Mad Chemistry Lab*****