3 of 5
List of Shader Mixer Tutorials and Recipes
Posted: 25 December 2012 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2216
Joined  2005-09-05
Eustace Scrubb - 25 December 2012 10:53 PM

Give me a day or two:  sure.  I’ll try to post some legible screenshots by the weekend (and put the shader itself up at ShareCG).

That would be great!

Thanks for that…

Pen

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 26 December 2012 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  894
Joined  2007-01-04

Plug a Clamp and Step between your Displace-Standard & Weave bricks, connect the Weave’s output to the Value connecter on the Clamp & Step, set min to 0.9 and max to 1, set operation to Smooth Step. That wont give you a diamond pattern but it will give you the same thing you have on that dress in the picture.

PS I’m using DS3 SM brick names as I hate the SM in DS4, I spend more time fighting the bloody workspace than I do making shaders, I really would like to meet the idiot that designed it, so I can punch his ****in lights out for having nerfed it so bad.

Signature 

**shuffles of with a new headache** tongue wink

Posted: 26 December 2012 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
Bejaymac - 26 December 2012 08:05 AM

Plug a Clamp and Step between your Displace-Standard & Weave bricks, connect the Weave’s output to the Value connecter on the Clamp & Step, set min to 0.9 and max to 1, set operation to Smooth Step. That wont give you a diamond pattern but it will give you the same thing you have on that dress in the picture.

To get an actual diamond pattern you’d have to change the way it’s calculated to begin with…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 26 December 2012 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
Bejaymac - 26 December 2012 08:05 AM

PS I’m using DS3 SM brick names as I hate the SM in DS4, I spend more time fighting the bloody workspace than I do making shaders, I really would like to meet the idiot that designed it, so I can punch his ****in lights out for having nerfed it so bad.

Thanks for the info Bejaymac…that will come in useful!

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 27 December 2012 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  936
Joined  2005-03-26

Here’s the shader tree, entire, at 31%.  I’ve still got to annotate the rest of my screen stills (partial node trees, at 100% zoom) but will post them shortly.

Some repositioning of nodes was required, but the recipe is intact.

Image Attachments
Steel_Plate_6.jpg
 Signature 

My dA gallery
For God’s sake!  Gallifrey Stands!

And God still reigns.

Posted: 27 December 2012 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-03-26

This is the node walk-through.  I got the color values more-or-less from Lakys’ still-splendid Blue Steel shader (circa DS 1.8 or so).  Except for the Root Value change, as noted, this is the shader I used on the deck-plate dress on page 2 of this thread.  I’m still fine-tuning it but hope to have it on ShareCG by the weekend.  Some nodes and values are relabeled, but hopefully recognizable:  “Transform to Screen” is a standard Transform node, but it’s set to transform to Camera.

I’m splitting them into multiple posts to maintain sequence.

Image Attachments
Steel_Plate_1.jpg
 Signature 

My dA gallery

And God still reigns.

Posted: 27 December 2012 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05

Thanks for doing that…

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 27 December 2012 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-03-26

Here’s the next portion:  the node progress is Right to Left, because I started making procedural node shaders in the P6 material room.  I tried to allow some overlap so that you can follow more easily.

Image Attachments
Steel_Plate_2.jpg
 Signature 

My dA gallery

And God still reigns.

Posted: 27 December 2012 10:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-03-26

Half-way there:  here we come to the end of the Displacement portion of the shader.  Unlike most universal surface shaders, the Displacement and Surface node chains are inseparable.

Image Attachments
Steel_Plate_3.jpg
 Signature 

My dA gallery

And God still reigns.

Posted: 27 December 2012 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-03-26

Here I bring down the Occlusion Node seen above, and show what it’s used for.

Image Attachments
Steel_Plate_4.jpg
 Signature 

My dA gallery

And God still reigns.

Posted: 27 December 2012 10:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-03-26

This shows all of the basic ingredients of my surface shader.  The only node you have not seen is the Surface Root node.  But as it is plugged into the DS Default Material node directly (Color to Surface Color, and Opacity to Surface Opacity)  its inclusion would have been redundant.  I opened up surface values that were changed from their defaults to show the new colors or values.

Image Attachments
Steel_Plate_5.jpg
 Signature 

My dA gallery

And God still reigns.

Posted: 28 December 2012 12:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
Eustace Scrubb - 27 December 2012 10:34 PM

This shows all of the basic ingredients of my surface shader.  The only node you have not seen is the Surface Root node.  But as it is plugged into the DS Default Material node directly (Color to Surface Color, and Opacity to Surface Opacity)  its inclusion would have been redundant.  I opened up surface values that were changed from their defaults to show the new colors or values.

Wow…that’s very interesting. I will try and have a play in the next few days. Just finished setting up a second monitor so I’m busy seeing what I can do with two screens.

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 28 December 2012 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  822
Joined  2008-09-17

Here’s a recipe I came up with while trying to recreate the Poser mat file for Flesh Forge’s Peligro swimsuit.  I’m trying to get the mesh look that football (American Football) and basketball jerseys have.  1st image is the textured fabric. 2nd image is an untextured clase-up.  last two images are the recipe.

Note: the tile brick is connected to the displacement brick and the opacity channel of the Default material brick.

Image Attachments
mesh_fabric.jpgmesh_fabric_2.jpgmesh_recipe1.jpgmesh_recipe2.jpg
 Signature 

Resistance is futile.  You will be DAZzimilated

Old post count: 5719

Posted: 28 December 2012 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
BWSman - 28 December 2012 11:08 AM

Here’s a recipe I came up with while trying to recreate the Poser mat file for Flesh Forge’s Peligro swimsuit.  I’m trying to get the mesh look that football (American Football) and basketball jerseys have.  1st image is the textured fabric. 2nd image is an untextured clase-up.  last two images are the recipe.

Note: the tile brick is connected to the displacement brick and the opacity channel of the Default material brick.

Very interesting…another one for me to play with while I’m on holidays.

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 28 December 2012 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  894
Joined  2007-01-04

Paul’s (aka Flesh Forge) Darling Nighty, I used the Poser transmaps rather than the gray DS ones and DS3’s SM, these test renders are nearly two years old so if I can find my DBM files I’ll post a screen shot.

Image Attachments
Darling_02.jpgRender_24.jpg
 Signature 

**shuffles of with a new headache** tongue wink

3 of 5