Total Posts:  20
Joined  2008-10-12

I did all layouts and none of them have shader mixer

Posted: 23 December 2012 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13574
Joined  2003-10-09

Is you DS the free Pro version from the store, or the direct download? If it’s the direct download I think you need to buy the free version in the store and download that, using the serial number that will be placed in your account pages, to get Shader Mixer.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 23 December 2012 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2008-10-12

thank you so much I finally was able to get it

Posted: 23 December 2012 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  163
Joined  2011-08-08

I am a beginner and the only tutorials I can find that deal with the Shader Mixer have been for DS3.x Advanced. I downloaded all of Carnite’s Videos on the subject, but I’m using 4.5 Pro, and the layout is way different. I know I have the Shader Mixer because I can find the place where the files are stored. I just need to find a tutorial that is up to date for working with it in 4.5 Pro. Since I am a beginner, it will need to be as clear an concise as it can be, like the ones Carnite made for 3.x Advanced. Does anyone know where I can find at least one or two?
Thanks in advance.

Posted: 23 December 2012 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
Mage 13X13 - 23 December 2012 07:44 PM

I am a beginner and the only tutorials I can find that deal with the Shader Mixer have been for DS3.x Advanced. I downloaded all of Carnite’s Videos on the subject, but I’m using 4.5 Pro, and the layout is way different. I know I have the Shader Mixer because I can find the place where the files are stored. I just need to find a tutorial that is up to date for working with it in 4.5 Pro. Since I am a beginner, it will need to be as clear an concise as it can be, like the ones Carnite made for 3.x Advanced. Does anyone know where I can find at least one or two?
Thanks in advance.

That’s pretty much all there is…

Things in 4.5 aren’t THAT different (as far as SM goes…yeah, the bricks line up the opposite direction and some of them them are in different locations).  The basics covered in those older tutorials are still valid.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 23 December 2012 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2202
Joined  2005-09-05
Pendraia - 19 December 2012 01:14 AM
Eustace Scrubb - 18 December 2012 05:03 PM

I’ve been using a displaced Weave with color occlusion to attempt a “nonskid steel plate” effect, but so far, all I’ve got looks like wire-weave.  How do I reduce strand width in the Weave node (Shader Mixer, DS 4.5.n) without decreasing the scale of the weave itself?

Good question….I’ll have to have a look. It won’t happen tonight as I’m braindead. One and half days to go till I’m on holidays for most of January and work’s very hectic.

Okay…finally got chance to look at it.

I’m assuming you want a mesh with gaps between it but still interwoven?

If you don’t you could probably simulate a mesh with square holes using a basic image map as an alpha and also for displacement to give its more depth.

If you want a woven mesh with gaps between it is probably beyond my abilities to help. I’m not sure but would image it may require using some of the math bricks.

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 24 December 2012 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  925
Joined  2005-03-26
Pendraia - 23 December 2012 09:46 PM
Pendraia - 19 December 2012 01:14 AM
Eustace Scrubb - 18 December 2012 05:03 PM

I’ve been using a displaced Weave with color occlusion to attempt a “nonskid steel plate” effect, but so far, all I’ve got looks like wire-weave.  How do I reduce strand width in the Weave node (Shader Mixer, DS 4.5.n) without decreasing the scale of the weave itself?

Good question….I’ll have to have a look. It won’t happen tonight as I’m braindead. One and half days to go till I’m on holidays for most of January and work’s very hectic.

Okay…finally got chance to look at it.

I’m assuming you want a mesh with gaps between it but still interwoven?

If you don’t you could probably simulate a mesh with square holes using a basic image map as an alpha and also for displacement to give its more depth.

If you want a woven mesh with gaps between it is probably beyond my abilities to help. I’m not sure but would image it may require using some of the math bricks.

Not at all.  What I’m looking for is a way to replicate nonskid steel decking (http://www.sharecg.com/v/60950/browse/6/Texture/Diamond-Plate or some variant on the same).  I want to flatten the area between the weave heights…

...I think I just solved my own problem.  If it works, I’ll post the link here.

Signature 

My dA gallery
For God’s sake!  Gallifrey Stands!

And God still reigns.

Posted: 24 December 2012 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13

That weave pattern is mathematically generated and compiled into the shader…so without changing the formula and recompiling you won’t be able to get what you are after.  It’s the same for most, if not all, of the patterns.  They are formula based and start life as ‘include’ files that get compiled into the shader.

I think you’ll have better luck with using a tiled displacement or normal map and using an actual image of the diamond plate to start with…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 24 December 2012 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-03-26
mjc1016 - 24 December 2012 10:51 PM

That weave pattern is mathematically generated and compiled into the shader…so without changing the formula and recompiling you won’t be able to get what you are after.  It’s the same for most, if not all, of the patterns.  They are formula based and start life as ‘include’ files that get compiled into the shader.

I think you’ll have better luck with using a tiled displacement or normal map and using an actual image of the diamond plate to start with…

I’m actually getting rather good results now, as long as I don’t insist that the bumps be particularly diamond-shaped.  I just had to level the threads with a “Max” modifier at about .75 or so.

Signature 

My dA gallery

And God still reigns.

Posted: 24 December 2012 11:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13

Yeah, that will work, if you don’t strictly need the diamond pattern.

By default, at least some of the patterns are included in almost all displacement shaders written in RSL…whether they are actually used in that shader or not.  It isn’t an ‘expensive’ thing to do, as most of the formulas are just a few bytes in size.  But by being hard coded, like that, it does limit what can be done to the patterns.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 24 December 2012 11:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  163
Joined  2011-08-08
mjc1016 - 23 December 2012 09:42 PM
Mage 13X13 - 23 December 2012 07:44 PM

Thanks in advance.

That’s pretty much all there is…

Things in 4.5 aren’t THAT different (as far as SM goes…yeah, the bricks line up the opposite direction and some of them them are in different locations).  The basics covered in those older tutorials are still valid.

I took your advice and was able to make a Shader Preset of my own today and save it to my content. There are a few things that are different in the new version that make it confusing if you don’t pay close attention. I followed Carnite’s tutorials rather than the one called Shader Mixer Tutorial 1.
Shader Mixer Tutorial 1 is a good bit more complicated, and I’ll need to do a good bit of practicing before getting into that one. As it too is for DAZ Studio 3 Advanced, there are some differences that make it difficult to follow when using 4.5 Pro. The Bump, Displacement, and Normal Map Bricks are no longer unattached from the main network by default. This of course threw me up against a brick wall (Pun Fully Intended, lol) I read beyond it to see if clarity would be forthcoming, but alas I find that one of the Image Bricks is used in the Bump and Displacement network, and because the generated bricks are not in the same sequence as in the tutorial, nor do they have the same names, I am at a loss as to which Image Brick is the correct one to use for that network.
So for now I will keep it simple and get some practice under my belt. As for the Shader Mixer Tutorial 1, I am glad I got it free because if I had not, I would be very disappointed indeed.
Stay Awesome!

Posted: 25 December 2012 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
Eustace Scrubb - 24 December 2012 11:22 PM
mjc1016 - 24 December 2012 10:51 PM

I’m actually getting rather good results now, as long as I don’t insist that the bumps be particularly diamond-shaped.  I just had to level the threads with a “Max” modifier at about .75 or so.

Nice to know, I’m glad it’s working for you…

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 25 December 2012 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-03-26

Here’s the resulting shader, in DS3 (composed in DS4.5, saved as DSA to use in prior versions.).  Entirely procedural:  no maps whatever.

Image Attachments
Steel_Plate_Dress.jpg
 Signature 

My dA gallery

And God still reigns.

Posted: 25 December 2012 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05

Hi Eustace, would you be able to post an image of your network so others can use it to create their own shaders? I would be interested in knowing how you space them further apart for using in other shaders…

thanks

Pen

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 25 December 2012 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-03-26

Give me a day or two:  sure.  I’ll try to post some legible screenshots by the weekend (and put the shader itself up at ShareCG).

Signature 

My dA gallery

And God still reigns.

2 of 5