Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
can Soft Body be used for Jiggle?
Posted: 18 July 2012 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

It could be done in carrara if pressure actually worked; it doesn’t I filed the bug report ages ago.
I’ve done a lot of experiments with bullet and soft body in carrara, you could get the beach ball to ripple if pressure worked.

A is no soft body, b is pressure 100, c is pressure 0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-POD9unXv0&list=UUdhRDgjpBQsflNDs3TBV6bQ&index=4&feature=plcp

{ I hate this cut rate, bargain basement forum}

Posted: 19 July 2012 06:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

Hi Holly smile

The simple answer is, no,.. since there’s no ability to define an area which soft body should effect

Right now,  It’s simply applied to the whole object.

I did suggest this ” feature ” of being able to use grey-scale Maps, to define options like bounce / friction / mass, and to define soft-body areas, when bullet was first added to Carrara,. but right now bullet physics isn’t working as it should be at this point.

As ManStan points out, pressure does nothing right now,.

The Genesis figure has “pectoral” bones, which can be animated to produce a bounce and sway motion.
also, using an Oscillate tweener with some dampening, can give a bounce effect to that pectoral key-frame animation

As Frank points out, the Jiggle plugin should work fine on C8 and 8.5, on PC, 

Hope it helps smile

Posted: 19 July 2012 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0
Frank__ - 18 July 2012 06:19 PM
holly wetcircuit - 18 July 2012 07:45 AM

I guess I can go back to C7 for Jiggle….

Stupid question (beware!): Sparrowhawkes plugins are available for C8. I know you’re working on a Mac but I also remember you have access to a PC. Why not setup your animation on the Mac and go for the jiggle to the PC? (Stupid question, I warned you smile )

Ahh, I can probably handle that…. wink Maybe hadn’t been to his site in a while, but missed the C8 updates for whatever reason….

The only bad about Jiggle is that the set up is a bit elaborate (like dynamic clothes, you need to start in a neutral or t-pose. My runtimes are on a mac-formatted hdd so that’s another limit to switching back and forth… Still probably even better with 3DPaint… Worth testing. Glad this feature wasn’t “lost” afterall.

Too bad about soft body…. That was my original question… :/

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 19 July 2012 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2007-10-15
holly wetcircuit - 18 July 2012 07:45 AM

IGNORE actually works in the new forum btw….

Just a little side note since someone brought it up…

I’m a huge proponent of the forum’s ignore feature. Honestly, I strongly recommend if somebody routinely makes posts that you find of no value, or that make you upset, or make you feel compelled to attack, please consider using the ignore on that person. It’s not a bad thing, and I think it would help to calm the waters in the forum quite a bit.

Anyway, back to the subject…

I haven’t tried Sparrowhawke’s Jiggle plugin, but I’m wondering if anyone knows if he is still developing for Carrara? I think the big challenge comes when you have a jiggling mesh (like a big belly) underneath a Bullet cloth (like a shirt), and want them to interact. To me, there’s really no solution until that gets addressed, which could be forever since Bullet cloth doesn’t even collide with a moving mesh right now. Has anyone tried a combination of the Jiggle and Bullet cloth in that configuration, say with an earlier version?

Posted: 19 July 2012 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  228
Joined  2006-09-01
JoeMamma2000 - 19 July 2012 06:23 PM

I think the big challenge comes when you have a jiggling mesh (like a big belly) underneath a Bullet cloth (like a shirt), and want them to interact.

Why would some rational person do this?

I have a way too big belly (and a fat ass, too), but there’s nothing to jiggle, because I simply don’t move so much. Problem solved. smile

To me, there’s really no solution until that gets addressed, which could be forever since Bullet cloth doesn’t even collide with a moving mesh right now. Has anyone tried a combination of the Jiggle and Bullet cloth in that configuration, say with an earlier version?

I followed the introduction and slowly moving development of Bullet in Carrara and there was nothing which made me think that it could be a dynamic cloth sim. I you take a look on the vids of Marvelous Designer where you can grap and move parts of garment while the cloth is simulating in real-time ... drop Bullet, get a licence of the Marvelous stuff.

Because Carrara isn’t there yet (and I don’t have the feeling it will be there in any foreseen future), my work-around would be: Let sparrowhawkes plugin do the jiggle in Carrara, export with Fenric’s plugin to mdd, Tailor your cloth in MD (it’s not so difficult, if it’s nothing fancy, and there are a lot of freebies around - otherwise: get a beginners book on sewing clothes and start your own design), run the simulation, adjust as you like, which is great fun, because all of this is happining (almost) in real time (on my crappy i5Core on a notebook). Export the mdd-simulation, import into Carrara, render. Problem solved, again. (It’s way more complicated than my first solution, but it’s redistributable. Which/what I’m not. Edit: If you want movement, of course.)

Posted: 19 July 2012 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2007-10-15

Thanks. Yeah, Marvelous Designer is jaw droppingly insane. But it’s been a while since I used it, and I’m trying to remember how you would export a DAZ character’s animation into MD to use as a base for the MD cloth animation. Can you just convert your DAZ character to mdd and send it in, then bring the cloth sim back out when you’re done?

Not bad if that’s the case. Though the back and forth stuff drives me nuts. Just a personal thing I have against sending stuff out to another app, doing stuff, then bringing it back. Argggh. Drives me bonkers.

I would pay a billion dollars if Marvelous Designer would make a Carrara plugin. Maybe 2 billion. That would be nice.

Maybe it’s time to revisit that. I agree, Bullet ain’t gonna be much for, IMO, at least a couple of years.

EDIT: Hold on folks, turns out they actually have, in their Tutorial section, tutorials for DAZ Studio and Hexagon. Nice.

Posted: 20 July 2012 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0
Frank__ - 19 July 2012 07:05 PM

I think the big challenge comes when you have a jiggling mesh (like a big belly) underneath a Bullet cloth (like a shirt), and want them to interact.

Why would some rational person do this?

I have a way too big belly (and a fat ass, too), but there’s nothing to jiggle, because I simply don’t move so much. Problem solved. smile

LOL Too funny.

Marvelous Designer also has a Mac beta now… YAY! That Jiggle to MDD to Marvelous is maybe an ideal workflow, because it removes jiggle from the final render… As I recall jiggle didn’t work in the rendernodes, so I was stuck with one computer anyway (the actual jiggle calcs worked fast and didn’t add a lot to rendertime).... And you can get the jiggle just right before moving on to dynamic clothes…. Hmmmm. Okay loose boobies in a blouse might be more fun that I originally thought, especially if I can design the blouse too…. cool cheese

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 20 July 2012 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  228
Joined  2006-09-01
JoeMamma2000 - 19 July 2012 07:56 PM

Can you just convert your DAZ character to mdd and send it in, then bring the cloth sim back out when you’re done?

I don’t recall if I have actually done this, but it should work: http://www.marvelousdesigner.com/Marvelous/plugin.aspx Bad t.hing is; if you have only the smallest version of MD you will need to buy a licence for the animation plugin (got it with discount, when it came out. I don’t know if they have regular promotions; maybe when the Mac-version comes out )

JoeMamma2000 - 19 July 2012 07:56 PM

Though the back and forth stuff drives me nuts. Just a personal thing I have against sending stuff out to another app, doing stuff, then bringing it back. Argggh. Drives me bonkers.

Wouldn’t be so bad if it worked all the time ... but I would of course like to see a MD player in Carrara, something like the Optitex-plugin in Studio.

Or the other way around: if Studio had MDD-import, one could go the route: Carrara-jiggle, Studio/Optitex-cloth-sim, render in Carrara. I wonder if the new DAZ format will do this (but I’m sceptical, because all the programmed jiggle had to be converted to morphs at export, the same way dynamic cloth in Studio is frozen to morphs).

2 of 2