Digital Art Zone

3 of 5
Digital Imaging Thread IV
Posted: 29 September 2012 04:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  506
Joined  2004-06-12

Sorry Hank, I hope you don’t think I was being funny, I really do have a some major crap to deal with right now, and believe me, I’d much rather be in the position to relax and post here!

I’m sorry to hear how things have been going, and I hope things turn right for you (and your family) at the earliest opportunity.  I’m not happy the way things are going right now either, but I can see an end to it, so that’s what keeps the spirit up.  Chin up mate ;-)

Regards the B&W, I have to say I preferred the toning of the previous one, looks somehow more of a uniform and clean tone.  All I will say is watch out for sharpening, in fact, if you’re simulating film in this way, don’t use it at all because you never had any sharpening on your film photos.  I can pick-up the sharpening too easy on this one, whereas the first one looks better.  Sharpening can make things look digital.

I’ve added your pic to my post due to the page break:

Image Attachments
OakCreek-2Up.png

Posted: 30 September 2012 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2009-02-13

No worries mate, I’ve got my chin up and I am persevering.  These troubles will pass.  Hope things get better for you as well.

I don’t do any sharpening in Ps.  Must have been an artifact that was introduced when I scaled the image to post here.  Made a few adjustments to tonality and used bicubic-smoothing during reduction this time.  Probably used bicubic-sharpening before.

Image Attachments
OakCreek-BW_v1.png

Posted: 03 October 2012 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

Looks better than before, and BTW, if you happen to shoot JPEG, don’t forget to switch the sharpening off on the camera, because in-camera sharpening is often bad.  Panasonic are the worst offenders for sharpening, but Canon are almost as bad sometimes!

Posted: 03 October 2012 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

Beautiful pictures Bjornlo, Horo, TheSavage64, and Hokulea. I have to voice a different opinion then that of pumeco, Bjornlo… I think the images are not overdone. This is a matter of taste and I tend to like a lot of color and impact in my images. I also like Van Gogh so…

I remember a long time ago seeing prints done from Ektachrome where the colors were so hyper-saturated… I had never seen anything as amazing and I’ve never forgotten it. I tend to hyper-saturate my images often, it is an artistic statement by me to produce the desired effect, so I obviously go way beyond what pumeco is referring to in your images. A lot of the most popular images going around in the public sphere (like fb etc..) are like this also, which shows that a lot of people like images where the color pops much more than if one was actually ‘there.’

There is one thing I notice. The gravel in the tractor scene is hyper-sharpened. That can add energy to a scene or be jarring. It is the type of thing people react to without even realizing what they are reacting to. I have noticed that type of effect especially with a high ‘clarity’ in camera raw. I don’t think the effect is good or bad, just one needs to be aware that like hyper-saturation, it can effect different people differently.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 05 October 2012 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2007-12-16
Len - 0

@Dan
Do not flatter yourself, peasant!

I only spotted it because I noticed your comment on a Canon Anamorphic video, and thought to myself, I wonder what Peasant Dan is doing during the silence?

Great stuff, the footage definitely has a more professional feel to it thanks to the rig you made.  I also like where you decide to start and stop the movement.  Anyway, best of luck with the College course, sounds very cool, especially as you’ll likely get to use fancy rigs and stuff.

Thanks! The dolly was a devil to put together, but it was definitely satisfying when I was done.

@Hokulea
Sorry to hear about that. Prayers and well-wishes going your way!

Hokulea - 0

Not quite satisfied with the B&W tonality but I’m learning.  My film of choice for many years was Kodak’s Tri-X which I developed in the bathroom when I couldn’t rent a darkroom.  I exposed Tri-X at ISO’s ranging from 100 to 3200 and could get near grainless 8 x 10 prints most of the time.  Still a ways off from similar results as far as tonality goes with digital.

I’ve shot several rolls of Tri-X. It really is versatile like you said, but I actually don’t care much for it’s grain structure. For sure it’s almost grainless, but not as sharp as it could be. Ilford’s line of Delta films (100, 400, 3200) is where it’s at IMO. Just insanely sharp, and soulful tonality.

Gedd - 0

I remember a long time ago seeing prints done from Ektachrome where the colors were so hyper-saturated… I had never seen anything as amazing and I’ve never forgotten it.

It might sadden you to know that unfortunately Ektachrome was discontinued about a year ago, but it can still be found in 2 varieties: E100G (Grain-free) and E100VS (Vivid Saturation). It’s a good film, with natural-looking but bold colors. However, I’ll get along without it since Fuji Velvia 100 has stronger colors anyways.

Image Attachments
Ben_Tony.jpgCousins_Swing_2.jpgTowering_Inferno.jpgGood_Times.jpgGrass_Line.jpg

Posted: 05 October 2012 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2007-12-16

By the way, the forum software wouldn’t let me manually inset quotes without a date attribute. How the software generates the number used for it I don’t know, so I just put empty quote marks in. It interpreted that as zero, so now it looks like I’m keeping score for a game. Anybody know how to fix that?

Posted: 06 October 2012 05:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15569
Joined  2003-10-09

You mean you want to do it like this

Beamerped
By the way, the forum software wouldn’t let me manually inset quotes without a date attribute. How the software generates the number used for it I don’t know, so I just put empty quote marks in. It interpreted that as zero, so now it looks like I’m keeping score for a game. Anybody know how to fix that?

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 06 October 2012 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2007-12-16

Thanks, chohole; that’ll work.

Posted: 06 October 2012 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15569
Joined  2003-10-09

That was done using the quote thingummy next to the bold/italic/underline wotsits, just adding the name manually.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 07 October 2012 07:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

Is there a way to embed images into the body of the text yet?

I was wondering because if there is, I could assign some macros on my computer so that I can easily insert the old style smileys.  After all this time, it doesn’t look as if DAZ is going to put the old smileys back, and they’ve not even added them to the list of current ones, so any other way to use the old smileys would be great.

If there was a way to insert images into the body of text, we would effectively be able to use the far superior smileys again!

Posted: 09 October 2012 04:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  236
Joined  2010-02-02

Been looking at old black and white photos that people have colourized lately and thought I’d go the other way.
Using the colour replacement tool in Photoshop.

Image Attachments
Decolour.jpgDecolour1.jpg

Posted: 10 October 2012 06:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

The red pocket-rocket reminds me of fun times I had when I owned an MG Metro, I loved driving that thing!

Posted: 10 October 2012 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

PS:  Nice photo’s Dan, they all look contemplated rather than just shot :-)

Posted: 10 October 2012 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2012-02-08

taken with nikon fe 400 iso kentmere

Image Attachments
3g.JPG

Posted: 12 October 2012 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2007-12-16

donchan1
taken with nikon fe 400 iso kentmere

Very cool. Street photography is something I’m trying to get more into. Are you developing this yourself?

StuartB4
Been looking at old black and white photos that people have colourized lately and thought I’d go the other way.
Using the colour replacement tool in Photoshop.

That’s pretty surreal - at first glance I noticed the windows were desaturated, but took me a moment to realize surroundings were too!

pumeco
PS:  Nice photo’s Dan, they all look contemplated rather than just shot grin

Thanks Len! The grassy hill is really the only one that was “contemplated” as you put it. With the rest - especially the family shots - all you can do is set yourself up and wait for some fun to happen.

3 of 5