Digital Art Zone

2 of 38
DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.3.52, General Release, Now Available for Download!
Posted: 22 May 2014 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  581
Joined  2005-09-12
barbult - 22 May 2014 03:14 PM

Is there a recommended order to install the items? DS, PostgreSQL, then Conversion, for example?

I’m paranoid, so take this with a grain of salt -

Fire up the current version of Studio and export your user data.
Shut Studio down
Install the new Postgres CMS
Install the new Studio
Optional - change the location of the Postgres database -
    Shut down DIM
    Start Studio
    Content Library -> preferences -> stop CMS (technically not required - but see ‘paranoid’ above)
    Edit -> preferences -> Right-most tab (CMS Settings)
    Make note of current cluster location for cleanup
    Enter preferred path to CMS Cluster in Cluster Directory
    Click ‘accept’
    Content Library -> preferences -> start CMS
    Shut down Studio
    Start DIM
Install the Postgres CMS conversion utility - note that the ‘install’ is actually doing the conversion, so expect it to take a while

Signature 

The only constant is change—and it’s a variable.

Posted: 22 May 2014 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1054
Joined  2007-10-17
namffuak - 22 May 2014 03:35 PM

Install the Postgres CMS conversion utility - note that the ‘install’ is actually doing the conversion, so expect it to take a while

A key point on this. If it takes less than a couple of seconds, especially if you have a decent amount of content. it didn’t run correctly for one reason or another.

Posted: 22 May 2014 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  343
Joined  2003-10-09
Mattymanx - 22 May 2014 03:20 PM

To install manually, I unpacked it and then ran the bat file found in the one folder.  After that I manually moved the folders to their location based on how they were packed.

If that is all you did… PostgreSQL may be “installed”, but you are still connecting to Valentina.  The bat file only runs an installer for Microsoft runtime components.  It does not make the necessary changes that allow DAZ Studio (or Install Manager) to actually communicate with PostgreSQL.

-Rob

Signature 

- Documentation Center
- Install Manager
- DAZ Studio 4.x
- DSON Importer
- DSON File Format Specification

Posted: 22 May 2014 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  385
Joined  2003-10-09

Thank you fixmypcmike, and Mattymanx.

Mattymanx, I have same set-up as you (offline PC), but this online laptop is just Puppy Linux for online use.  So, theoretically, if I pull an old XP PC that has a wireless card out of the closet, and install DIM on it (no DS installed, or anything else), I can download the PostgreSQL CMS, and transfer it to my offline Windows7 box for use as you did?

I don’t use Smart Content either, so this will just be a fresh install.  I just want the faster library access to my Poser libraries.  Thanks for the help on how to get it done.  I will give it a shot, and come back with questions if I have any issues.

*EDIT:  After posting, I saw Rob’s post above…

So, Rob, if I try this without having any CMS installed, nothing will work?

Also, another thing,  Does it matter if I install to a 32bit XP, but transfer to a 64bit W7?  Can I get DIM to give me the necessary 64bit files for the W7 box?

Signature 

Take care all..        “It’s easy to clean up when you got money.”        *Old Post Count:  Don’t know, don’t care…  *New Site Status:  Doesn’t matter one iota.
Ken

Posted: 22 May 2014 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-09-12
DAZ_Spooky - 22 May 2014 03:39 PM
namffuak - 22 May 2014 03:35 PM

A key point on this. If it takes less than a couple of seconds, especially if you have a decent amount of content. it didn’t run correctly for one reason or another.

What he says - when I ran the beta it took about 26 minutes to convert my 4500+ item Valentina database.  A couple of related timings: resetting Valentina and re-importing metadata on that system took just over 3 hours; resetting Postgres and re-importing metadata took just under 30 minutes - the conversion is faster, but not by a lot. OTOH, I didn’t have a lot of customization done - I’ve been waiting for a more stable database to get started on that.

Signature 

Posted: 22 May 2014 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-09-12
DaremoK3 - 22 May 2014 03:59 PM

Thank you fixmypcmike, and Mattymanx.

Mattymanx, I have same set-up as you (offline PC), but this online laptop is just Puppy Linux for online use.  So, theoretically, if I pull an old XP PC that has a wireless card out of the closet, and install DIM on it (no DS installed, or anything else), I can download the PostgreSQL CMS, and transfer it to my offline Windows7 box for use as you did?

I don’t use Smart Content either, so this will just be a fresh install.  I just want the faster library access to my Poser libraries.  Thanks for the help on how to get it done.  I will give it a shot, and come back with questions if I have any issues.

*EDIT:  After posting, I saw Rob’s post above…

So, Rob, if I try this without having any CMS installed, nothing will work?

Also, another thing,  Does it matter if I install to a 32bit XP, but transfer to a 64bit W7?  Can I get DIM to give me the necessary 64bit files for the W7 box?

I routinely download to an old XP 32-bit laptop with DIM at a wifi hotspot and then copy the downloads over to my Win-7 64-bit system at home. And then I use DIM on the Win-7 system to do the actual installs.

The main requirement is to configure DIM properly for wnat you want to see - OS, Software, Platform—for a first-time user, download and start DIM, click on the ‘work offline’ box and the gear icon top right. Then walk through the various tabs to see what your options are.

Signature 

Posted: 22 May 2014 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1057
Joined  2013-06-27

I installed the new CMS via DIM. Now my old categories and the Smart content are gone. I tried the manual convert of old database, and get an error, saying it can’t convert the data base. The log file says:
WARNING: dzpostgresqlobjectdatabase.cpp(39): db insert error: Unknown prepared statement ‘tblBasePath->insert’
db insert error: Unknown prepared statement ‘tblBasePath->insert’

What now? downer

Posted: 22 May 2014 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1385
Joined  2010-03-25

i kind of this delima I never use the download manager because i have my files set up for 3 different 3d programs and use external drives for my programs with one central 4 TB for all my runtime and contents.
I also use another drive all all my Creative suite programs   and another for my 3ds. this keeps my C:/ SSD drive running optimal. Rendering daz animations on my SSD drives Burns my SSD drive up to fast so I changed my drives styem to aviod this issue .when rendering animation.  I was told because of the the constant righting of files and the high processor load running through the SSD drive during the rendering Process. 
so anyway whether I was told right or wrong. i changed my files system to match the same as my autodesk drive.& I have not burned out any more SSD drives since..
to make a long story short.
The download manager want to install Daz to my C:/ drive where as I have a standalone drive F:/  for Daz & Poser program and all content. In G:/ Daz/Content

my question is there another way to install this update to be able to take advantage of the new PostgreSQL update. with out using Download manager?

Signature 

My Daz & Poser animations & art work
http://www.youtube.com/user/IvySummers1
My Art on Google
http://plus.google.com/+IvySummers

Posted: 22 May 2014 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  437
Joined  2012-10-15
Ivy - 22 May 2014 05:07 PM

i kind of this delima I never use the download manager because i have my files set up for 3 different 3d programs and use external drives for my programs with one central 4 TB for all my runtime and contents.
I also use another drive all all my Creative suite programs   and another for my 3ds. this keeps my C:/ SSD drive running optimal. Rendering daz animations on my SSD drives Burns my SSD drive up to fast so I changed my drives styem to aviod this issue .when rendering animation.  I was told because of the the constant righting of files and the high processor load running through the SSD drive during the rendering Process. 
so anyway whether I was told right or wrong. i changed my files system to match the same as my autodesk drive.& I have not burned out any more SSD drives since..
The download manager want to install Daz to my C:/ drive where as I have a standalone drive F:/  for Daz & Poser program and all content. In G:/ Daz/Content

my question is there another way to install this update to be able to take advantage of the new PostgreSQL update. with out using Download manager?

DIM does not force you to install DAZ Studio or the PostgreSQL CMS to your C drive.  You can tell DIM to install these applications on any drive you wish.

Posted: 22 May 2014 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1385
Joined  2010-03-25
DAZ_cjones - 22 May 2014 05:12 PM
Ivy - 22 May 2014 05:07 PM

DIM does not force you to install DAZ Studio or the PostgreSQL CMS to your C drive.  You can tell DIM to install these applications on any drive you wish.

Okay I saw where you can choose the file location .  My bad,  I told you i was blond right..lol
when i tired it first time it had C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 as the default download folder which does not exist on my c drive.
anyway i was able to do the install to my F/ drive thanks for the info and the Thanks daz for the program Up date,. all is well in Ivy Land

Signature 

My Daz & Poser animations & art work
http://www.youtube.com/user/IvySummers1
My Art on Google
http://plus.google.com/+IvySummers

Posted: 22 May 2014 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2504
Joined  2007-12-07

Ok, as promised, my experience thus far:

DAZ Studio always shutdown during all processes

“Content netbook” : Win XP, 32-bit
Start position
DIM version 1.1.0.15
DIM-installed DS4.6 4.6.2.120 32-bit

Install PostgreSQL CMS via DIM
  No errors, both Valentina and PostgreSQL dbs up and running
Install PostgreSQL from Valentina Converter via DIM
  No errors
Install DS 4.6.3.50 via DIM
  No errors
Stop/Start DIM
  Unisolate PostgreSQL in AV
Start DS
  Unisolate DazStudio in AV
  DS launches PosgtreSQL alert from AV

“Working computer” : Win 7 Pro, 64-bit
Start position
DIM version 1.1.0.15
Manually installed DS4.6 4.6.2.118 64-bit

Install PosgtreSQL CMS via DIM
  No errors
Install PosgtreSQL from Valentina Converter via DIM
  No errors
Stop/Start DIM
Install DS 4.6.3.50 manually
  No errors
Start DS
>Migrate old database content
  No errore
Stop DIM
Stop Service DAZ Content Management Service
Ran Remove-DAZContentManagementService manually
  Smart content listed but not found
>Process and Import metadata
  Smart content listed (now with (2) in name) and content still not found
>Reset database and Import metadata
  Smart content now working

As a passing point at no time was I prompted as to where I wanted the CMS to reside.  I know that in DIM I can specify where 32- and 64-bit applications are installed to, but ... I am not going to go back and forth adjusting thst depending on what I am about to install.

Signature 

Some writings by a friend:
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/11.html
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/13.html
http://www.lizardsofthehost.co.uk/7.html

Posted: 22 May 2014 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-09-12

The Postgres CMS code base will go into your DIM-defined 32 bit or 64 bit directory under DAZ 3D/PostgreSQL CMS; see my post above on relocating the database proper.

Signature 

Posted: 22 May 2014 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  385
Joined  2003-10-09

OK…

Looks like I will need to install DIM on both systems, perform the download on the online 32bit XP, transfer the downloaded files, and then perform the install through DIM on the offline 64bit Win-7 system.  Will give it a shot…

Thank you namffuak for the answer, and SimonJM for the example.

Signature 

Take care all..        “It’s easy to clean up when you got money.”        *Old Post Count:  Don’t know, don’t care…  *New Site Status:  Doesn’t matter one iota.
Ken

Posted: 22 May 2014 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11424
Joined  2005-10-07

will this new cms be compatible with genesis in carrara8.5?

am i reading this correctly, there is no manual d/l and install?  in which case, n/m the 1st question

thanks smile

i didn’t see a d/l option for ogreCms.  big surprise  will the new DS build work with my current CMS?

Signature 

Ð ° ° ° ° ° ö tīd gesǣlig
self-reminder target/goal 17-Nov

Posted: 22 May 2014 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9009
Joined  2007-11-06
Misty Whisky - 22 May 2014 06:01 PM

will this new cms be compatible with genesis in carrara8.5?

am i reading this correctly, there is no manual d/l and install?  in which case, n/m the 1st question

thanks smile

i didn’t see a d/l option for ogreCms.  big surprise  will the new DS build work with my current CMS?

Yes, if you don’t install the PostgreSQL CMS CD will continue to use the Valentina CMS.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

2 of 38