12 of 12
maybe an iClone thread
Posted: 03 April 2013 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 166 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7111
Joined  2009-07-13

oops, will fix that
was my April fool joke in carrara thread, must have had wrong address still in clipboard

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
my gallery

Posted: 03 April 2013 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 167 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1643
Joined  2008-05-31

One thing I’m wondering about with iClone is why it always looks like people are skating on ice when they are walking. Is there no easy way to fix this?

I was just watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OF7s6F3S0YA

which assume is made in DS. The figures here have rock solid foot contact with the ground, so I wonder how that video is made.

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 03 April 2013 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 168 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

I get that skating footslide effect in ALL software, the only way to overcome it I think is to use excellent predone transformed keyframe animations for a specific figure that follow a set path, and distance,  as soon as you try your own path you are lost.
SKA motion has some brilliant stuff I have seen but it is the skill of the user that shows there.

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
my gallery

Posted: 03 April 2013 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 169 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-31

What is SKA? Can’t find anything about it anywhere.

Anyway, I found a video about how to make a figure walk on a specified path:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEnRetrPtIQ

It seems to work reasonably well but it’s like the legs jerks a bit every time he puts his feet to the ground which to me looks like the main problem. If that could be adjusted it might look reasonably okay.

Anyway, there must be a way to automatically coordinate the feet with the ground - it sounds simple but it’s probably complex since they haven’t made it. Maybe more expensive animation programs have this feature?

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 04 April 2013 12:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 170 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2003-10-23
Taozen - 03 April 2013 08:30 PM

One thing I’m wondering about with iClone is why it always looks like people are skating on ice when they are walking. Is there no easy way to fix this?

I was just watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OF7s6F3S0YA

which assume is made in DS. The figures here have rock solid foot contact with the ground, so I wonder how that video is made.

He doesn’t say either.  Just marketing his HDR Pro-sets, which are also awesome.  I wonder what he used.

Posted: 04 April 2013 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 171 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

iClone has foot contact
and if you load a persona you can right click walk and click where to walk too and it will calculate the steps and times needed.
SKAmotion makes Poser pz2 walks, seen great vids using his stuff

Signature 

my render thread
my gallery

Posted: 04 April 2013 01:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 172 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-31
wendy♥catz - 04 April 2013 12:19 AM

iClone has foot contact
and if you load a persona you can right click walk and click where to walk too and it will calculate the steps and times needed.

OK, but it’s far from perfect as far as I can see.

I’m having problems with iClone and 3DXChange on my 32 bit XP machine btw, everything gets incredibly slow when I start the programs and the mouse is chopping all the time. It’s a quad core with 4 GB RAM which is way above the required specs so I wonder what’s going on. Will give it a try on a 64 bit Win 7 / 8 GB to see if that works better.

wendy♥catz - 04 April 2013 12:19 AM

iClone has foot contact
SKAmotion makes Poser pz2 walks, seen great vids using his stuff

Found their site now. Looks great quality wise, but “sultry” stuff and high heels (which damage women’s legs and feet btw) are not my style, and there don’t seem to be much else there. 

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 04 April 2013 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 173 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2003-10-23

Here’s the problem I see (no offense to you, wendy<3katz).  I think that people, when they have something new or figured out something new, have a tendency to want to show off what’s they have or learned.  And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with being proud of figuring out something.  The problem comes when others (myself included) see these displays, take as an example of what the application can do, and not necessarily what the user can do.

Again, I’m all for beta and omega testing, but you have to admit, some people have done some not-so-great things with iClone, Daz3d Studio, Poser, and Carrara and show that they haven’t really spent the time necessary to push the software..and they are not beta testing anything.  Yet, they rush to post this stuff and it’s far from polished.  Why do you think the 3D artist elite always bash the category of software, it’s because of its “accessibility” with the general notion being that if you are going to spend the amount of money equivalent to a down payment on a house, then you are “serious” about learning the software.

In my heart, I know iClone, in the right pipeline, can be pushed a helluva lot farther than what I’ve seen.  To that end, that’s why I decided to go ahead and buy it and try to do just that.  Maybe it can work seamlessly with 100,000 polygon meshes instead of 50,000 or less?  Maybe it can handle textures better?  Maybe, with some maticulous tweaking, animation can be smoother?  Maybe I can see some animated hands as well (that’s one of my biggest issues, little details like “stiff hands” in iClone drives me nuts).

Maybe I’m a Pixar or Dreamworks whore.  LOL!  Naw, that’s not it.  I’m a professed anime junkie and lover of Disney and superhero animation (2D).  I just have a profound understanding of animation in general (although I can’t 2D animate to save my son’s life).  So, I think once people who have plopped down $300 or more ($300 is still A LOT OF MONEY to those of us who don’t have it all the time) to purchase iClone and are dedicated to learning the software, doing what it states can be done, THEN pushing it past that, I think attitudes will change.  I’ve always wanted iClone since version 3 because I’m an aspiring filmmaker and I think it makes one helluva great animatronics, scene pre-viz tool.  But now, I want to do my entire movie in iClone (and maybe Carrara). smile

On a side note, @wendy<3katz, every time I see your beta video of Heidi singing the Sound of Music I believe and all of a sudden, still while singing, she breaks out in Gungdum Style, I just have to laugh.  That’s the funniest thing I’ve ever seen, plus it’s a great example of how smooth the animation in iClone can be. smile

Posted: 04 April 2013 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 174 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2003-10-09
dsexton72 - 04 April 2013 08:20 AM

Here’s the problem I see (no offense to you, wendy<3katz).  I think that people, when they have something new or figured out something new, have a tendency to want to show off what’s they have or learned.  And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with being proud of figuring out something.  The problem comes when others (myself included) see these displays, take as an example of what the application can do, and not necessarily what the user can do.

Again, I’m all for beta and omega testing, but you have to admit, some people have done some not-so-great things with iClone, Daz3d Studio, Poser, and Carrara and show that they haven’t really spent the time necessary to push the software..and they are not beta testing anything.  Yet, they rush to post this stuff and it’s far from polished.  Why do you think the 3D artist elite always bash the category of software, it’s because of its “accessibility” with the general notion being that if you are going to spend the amount of money equivalent to a down payment on a house, then you are “serious” about learning the software.

In my heart, I know iClone, in the right pipeline, can be pushed a helluva lot farther than what I’ve seen.  To that end, that’s why I decided to go ahead and buy it and try to do just that.  Maybe it can work seamlessly with 100,000 polygon meshes instead of 50,000 or less?  Maybe it can handle textures better?  Maybe, with some maticulous tweaking, animation can be smoother?  Maybe I can see some animated hands as well (that’s one of my biggest issues, little details like “stiff hands” in iClone drives me nuts).

Maybe I’m a Pixar or Dreamworks whore.  LOL!  Naw, that’s not it.  I’m a professed anime junkie and lover of Disney and superhero animation (2D).  I just have a profound understanding of animation in general (although I can’t 2D animate to save my son’s life).  So, I think once people who have plopped down $300 or more ($300 is still A LOT OF MONEY to those of us who don’t have it all the time) to purchase iClone and are dedicated to learning the software, doing what it states can be done, THEN pushing it past that, I think attitudes will change.  I’ve always wanted iClone since version 3 because I’m an aspiring filmmaker and I think it makes one helluva great animatronics, scene pre-viz tool.  But now, I want to do my entire movie in iClone (and maybe Carrara). smile

On a side note, @wendy<3katz, every time I see your beta video of Heidi singing the Sound of Music I believe and all of a sudden, still while singing, she breaks out in Gungdum Style, I just have to laugh.  That’s the funniest thing I’ve ever seen, plus it’s a great example of how smooth the animation in iClone can be. smile

I think it’s great that you want to push Iclone to it’s limits, and I hope you will share some of the tricks you learn along the way with us
I also would like to get better results, but being realistic I don’t think I have the patience to do a ’ Nick Park’  tweaking of every tiny part in each frame, but I acknowledge that is one of the ways Nick’s characters come to life.

I’m sure I have seen tutorials on youtube about solving foot slide in Iclone so I know it can be done, but how much time and effort is required I couldn’t say.With the hands I guess it’s just a matter of making fine adjustments to the joints along the timeline.

I think each person makes a decision what they are aiming for, and how much time and effort they want to spend on a particular project. That applies to users of the most expensive software through to the most basic. What one person considers ‘finished’ another person might see a lot of ways they would have taken it further.

Edit to add: This is the youtube video i was thinking of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uDBbZmzbY4
It’s called ‘ICLONE5 Tutorial: Sliding feet? Not on my watch smile’ by Stuckon3D .

Cheers
Ian

Posted: 05 April 2013 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 175 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-31
background - 04 April 2013 10:24 AM

Edit to add: This is the youtube video i was thinking of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uDBbZmzbY4
It’s called ‘ICLONE5 Tutorial: Sliding feet? Not on my watch smile’ by Stuckon3D .

Great tutorial, thanks for the link!

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 18 April 2013 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 176 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  601
Joined  2007-05-26

What is a good export format and setting for ICLONE for video you want to upload to YouTube…. what do you folks use? I have ICLONE4 Pro I got real cheap so I am playing with it before I decide to take the plunge with ICLONE5 or maybe wait for ICLONE6.

Signature 

If I want to be a fool then I will be a fool! That is my God given right as an American!

—- Jason from True Blood

Posted: 15 August 2013 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 177 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  157
Joined  2011-06-17

okay, I read some of the stuff here on Iclone, and i’m still ify on buying this iClone5 Facial Pipeline Power Bundle.  iclone sounds great, but how good is it? I mean, I am a genesis user,  and now genesis2…... so will g2 work in iclone?  I started using daz to bring a 10 year old comic book idea to life, but if I can do animations for it, i’d like to do that.  how easy is iclone to use for someone who doesn’t know the pro stuff?  how bad are poke thoughs?  $350 sounds great, but I want to make sure I can create my “world” in daz and make episodes in iclone with them without a lot of fixing clothes and such.  does any of this make sense?  Sorry, long day at work.  Also, which is really better, this one “iClone5 Facial Pipeline Power Bundle—- $350”  or the (3 in 1)—$600.  MoCap seems to be great for custom animation and animating your people a lot faster than manually edit, unless iclone has tons of preset stuff, then mocap wouldn’t be needed as much. 
Thanks for the help.

Posted: 25 April 2014 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 178 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

odd thing happened today
the Reallusion facial animation key duf file used on G2M actually worked for me in 3dx5
not perfect but near enough
no visemes or jaw movement worked at all before.
so something has changed
am wondering who though as both Daz and Reallusion had updates and I also used generationX to transfer stuff to genesis 2.

Signature 

my render thread
my gallery

12 of 12