Digital Art Zone

RIP Jon Lord
Posted: 16 July 2012 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  915
Joined  2012-02-03

http://jonlord.org/

He was one of my biggest musical influences growing up, along with Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman. It’s sad to see him gone.

Posted: 16 July 2012 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  622
Joined  2004-12-14

That is depressing.  He was my favorite keyboardist.  I love the work he did with Deep Purple and Whitesnake.

Signature 

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored” - Aldous Huxley

Posted: 16 July 2012 11:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7945
Joined  2004-07-21

Cancer takes away so many good people

Signature 

Hello, Sweetie!
click me to save my dragon eggs

Who is cuter Loki or Thor?

Play Runescape

Posted: 17 July 2012 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2011-09-13

Oh no, that’s very sad. I was a big fan of Purple when I was a teenager and saw them live a couple of times. Every great rock Hammond player has a unique sound (Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman, Tony Banks and Tony Kaye also spring to mind—all with their own unique sounds) and Jon Lord was certainly no exception, but what I think singles him out was his incredible “feel”—much more bluesy and jazzy than his peers. I have to go and listen to “Lazy” right now!

Posted: 17 July 2012 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-03
Hiro Protagonist - 17 July 2012 07:14 AM

Oh no, that’s very sad. I was a big fan of Purple when I was a teenager and saw them live a couple of times. Every great rock Hammond player has a unique sound (Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman, Tony Banks and Tony Kaye also spring to mind—all with their own unique sounds) and Jon Lord was certainly no exception, but what I think singles him out was his incredible “feel”—much more bluesy and jazzy than his peers. I have to go and listen to “Lazy” right now!

Yeah, even though I’m a major prog fan, Lord probably had more influence on my personal playing style than any other Hammond player. Lazy is a good choice. Give a close listen to Hush, from their first album; you can tell that Lord overdubbed two Hammond parts for the solo. And Highway Star has one of the best Hammond solos I’ve ever heard. I was impressed with Don Airey’s comment on learning the song when he took over after Lord’s retirement; he’s a very talented musician himself, and had a hard time learning Lord’s solo from HS. It took me several days, listening to it slowed down in my computer, to learn it, so hearing that someone who’s really good didn’t find it easy made me feel like I really accomplished something.

I doubt that I’ll every accomplish anything like Lord did during his life, though. He was one of a kind.

Posted: 05 September 2012 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2005-08-16

...somebody took my car.

Signature 

Nick
(why am I new member?)

Posted: 05 September 2012 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-03
OldNick - 05 September 2012 06:51 AM

...somebody took my car.

I’m not sure I recognize the reference.

Posted: 05 September 2012 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2005-08-16

Just sadly ironic. Words of Highway Star “nobody’s gonna take my car” and now it’s gone.

Signature 

Nick
(why am I new member?)

Posted: 05 September 2012 10:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-03
OldNick - 05 September 2012 10:15 PM

Just sadly ironic. Words of Highway Star “nobody’s gonna take my car” and now it’s gone.

It makes perfect sense now. I’ll have to give it another listen later. Now, though, it’s time for bed.