Digital Art Zone

Bryce under WINE problems…
Posted: 16 July 2012 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2012-07-16

I figured posting this here would get more views and maybe some help :D

So I’m running Bryce 7.1 under the latest Wine in Fedora Linux, I have some problems with the buttons and sliders not working. First was the rotate tool, found a shortcut to use it with mouse and keyboard (hover mouse over rotate and hold CTRL to rotate), but I cannot get the timeline to go over to the right, it will go alittle like a few milliseconds but thats all I could get it to do. Anyone know of any solutions or shortcuts? I know downgrading to 5.5 is what a few people have said but I just can’t do that!! Any help is much appreciated.

Posted: 16 July 2012 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1870
Joined  2006-02-17

BRYCE+WIne = not working yet.  It was just very recently that Bryce would even start.  It’s getting there, but it isn’t quite yet.

Kendall

reddwarf - 16 July 2012 11:37 AM

I figured posting this here would get more views and maybe some help :D

So I’m running Bryce 7.1 under the latest Wine in Fedora Linux, I have some problems with the buttons and sliders not working. First was the rotate tool, found a shortcut to use it with mouse and keyboard (hover mouse over rotate and hold CTRL to rotate), but I cannot get the timeline to go over to the right, it will go alittle like a few milliseconds but thats all I could get it to do. Anyone know of any solutions or shortcuts? I know downgrading to 5.5 is what a few people have said but I just can’t do that!! Any help is much appreciated.

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 16 July 2012 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2012-07-16

Yea I see alot of people having same problem with some of the buttons, everything else seems to work very well smile Oh well guess its the waiting game now…

Posted: 18 July 2012 04:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  648
Joined  2010-12-13

OK, if the full Bryce is problematic on Wine, what about Lightning? Is it possible to have a master Bryce system running native Windows, and a network render box running Lightning under Wine?

Signature 

Daz Gallery
DA Gallery
Old post count 1725 (seems lame compared to some)

Posted: 18 July 2012 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17

You know, I’ve not tried Lightning, nor the Carrara Render Nodes under Wine.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 02 August 2012 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-12-13

*NEWS FLASH*
Bryce Lightning does work under Wine! I completed a network render in about 1/8th the time of using my desktop alone by having Lightning running on a Dell PE 1950 with Wine. I am running Ubuntu 12.04, with Wine 1.4. There is one key point here. You have to install the Wine equivalent of the MSFT Visual C++ runtime libraries. If you have a Linux distro with a current Wine, then there is a neat utility called winetricks that does this for you. You can either use the winetricks gui, or enter the following in a terminal window:

winetricks vcrun2005

The other thing was, I was unable to actually run the Lightning installer under Wine, but the app is standalone, so copying the Lightning folder from a Windows machine to the wine area on the Linux machine worked fine. Graphics card support, OpenGL, etc. NOT necessary to run Lightning. Do the usual network render setup from the master machine, making sure the slave is online and running Lightning, then fire when ready!

Note that this does nothing for Mac users, as Wine pretends to be Windoze, not OSX, and Lightning will not currently do cross-platform renders.

Signature 

Daz Gallery
DA Gallery

Posted: 02 August 2012 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
Slimer_J_Spud - 02 August 2012 02:44 PM

*NEWS FLASH*
Bryce Lightning does work under Wine! I completed a network render in about 1/8th the time of using my desktop alone by having Lightning running on a Dell PE 1950 with Wine. I am running Ubuntu 12.04, with Wine 1.4. There is one key point here. You have to install the Wine equivalent of the MSFT Visual C++ runtime libraries. If you have a Linux distro with a current Wine, then there is a neat utility called winetricks that does this for you. You can either use the winetricks gui, or enter the following in a terminal window:

winetricks vcrun2005

The other thing was, I was unable to actually run the Lightning installer under Wine, but the app is standalone, so copying the Lightning folder from a Windows machine to the wine area on the Linux machine worked fine. Graphics card support, OpenGL, etc. NOT necessary to run Lightning. Do the usual network render setup from the master machine, making sure the slave is online and running Lightning, then fire when ready!

Note that this does nothing for Mac users, as Wine pretends to be Windoze, not OSX, and Lightning will not currently do cross-platform renders.

This is good news.  Any info on performance?

Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 02 August 2012 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-12-13
Kendall Sears - 02 August 2012 03:12 PM
Slimer_J_Spud - 02 August 2012 02:44 PM

*NEWS FLASH*

winetricks vcrun2005

This is good news.  Any info on performance?

Kendall

Performance relative to what? Lightning running natively under Windows? Not sure I have a good way to test that. My desktop is dual core, but the 1950 has dual 4 core processors. I don’t have a way currently to make my desktop the slave in a network render without installing the full Bryce somewhere else. I know when priority is set to high, the master cranks away at 100%. The slave on the Linux box seemed to go up and down in cpu usage, according to the Linux perf meter. Not sure if that’s the way Lightning works, or if it’s Wine doing it. I do have Lightning on another Windoze box I can try for comparison, but that one is single core. If the slave always goes up and down in cpu usage as current slices are finished and new ones are farmed out to it, then it’s not a Wine limitation. I definitely had all 8 cores cranking away on it. I did not get a render report. Might have to do that again. The scene I used was the old Sky City at 1440x1080 resolution.

Signature 

Daz Gallery
DA Gallery

Posted: 26 August 2012 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2012-07-16

Oh wow thats good news then! I have 3 laptops and 3 desktops I could run linux on and really use them now! Thanks guys for the good information.

Posted: 09 September 2012 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

As of at least Wine 1.5.6 Bryce 7.1 IS working…

I’m running Wine under Slackware64 13.37 and did the ‘usual’ MSVC overrides that everyone tries for Bryce (a long time ago, now…).  I recently did an upgrade to Wine, so I thought I’d try running Bryce and see what would happen, much to my surprise it opened and loaded. Then I ran a test scene…and it rendered.  Then I played with a couple of things, saved a file and loaded another one…all worked, no hangs or anything.

I had originally jumped to Wine 1.5.12, but that broke something in DS 4.5 (the content tab, plugins and a bunch of other stuff just wasn’t there…),  so I’ve been playing with various Wine versions and 1.5.6 was the first one I tried Bryce with…

One thing that may make a difference…I’ve installed Bryce, DS, Hexagon and Poser all to their own partition.  It is formatted in NTFS (because it was an old XP partition that I never reformatted…).

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.