Digital Art Zone

5 of 7
3ds Max and DAZ Content Discussion and Resource Thread
Posted: 19 January 2013 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2011-07-11

A quick breakthrough I wanted to share:

I’ve successfully exported an FBX from Daz 4.5 to 3D Max 2013 with all materials, geometry, animations, AND FACIAL MORPHS in tact!

The scene is a genesis figure with a supersuit who has facial morph animations, hero aniblock animations, and hand animations.

Here’s what I did:

1. Select all items in scene that you want to export under the scene tab.  Right Clk>Select>All
2.  Export as FBX, but under the Edit Morphs tab I selected the element that said “.CNTLVS” and then clicked on the little square in the
upper right corner of dialgue box that looks like a notepad and selected “Bake.”
3.  In the export dialogue box I checked “merge clothing into skeleton” which solved the problem of the supersuit having it’s own skeleton
which doesn’t animate.
4.  Then I exported as an FBX in BINARY 2012.  I can’t tell you why this works, I just know that it worked in this instance.

I hope this helps and works for all of you as well.

Image Attachments
screen1.jpgscreen2.jpgscreen3.jpgscreen4.jpgscreen5.jpg

Posted: 19 January 2013 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-08-22

Great info!  I’m going to be starting my first major school project soon and need to animate some genesis figures (as car drivers). This is really a big help.

EDIT: Just tried these settings out… FBX is the way to go. Almost perfect import (I just had to run Steve’s material script as always). One thing though, I had better luck changing the morph setting to ‘export’ instead of ‘bake’ for some reason. Max does crash if you select too many morphs as well, but it can still handle quite a lot.

Posted: 24 January 2013 02:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2006-03-14

I’ve spent hours tonight trying to find info on exporting animation from DAZ to Max. This post is encouraging but it’s not working for me. I’m using aniMate2 to do a dance move. When the exported file is imported into Max 2013 I do have keys but they are all zero.

Do I need to ‘bake’ aniMate2 motion in DAZ before I export? I can’t find a way to do that so far (new to DAZ). I tried both ‘bake’ and ‘export’ for the .fbx export setting as you both had different ideas about that.

What do you think that I need to do?

—-Edit——

Ok, I found it in case this helps someone else. You guys are correct, it works well. I did in fact have to ‘bake’ the aniMate2 motion by ‘right-clicking’ on a blank area of the aniMate2 menu bar and select “Bake to Studio Keyframes.” After that it worked well and arrived in Max intact.

Thanks guys…

Here’s what it looks like. Even the areas like the right shoulder where the weights are off came across perfectly:

http://nvision4d.com/guest/DazToMax.mp4

Signature 

“He who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”

Windows 7 Professional x64 - Asus P9X79 Pro - Intel i7-3960 Extreme - 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 - Corsair H80 Chiller - Nvidia Quadro 4000 - DAZ Studio 4.6

Posted: 01 February 2013 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Joined  2012-08-09

Hello,

Thanks for all your tips !
If someone could fix also the genesis feet offset (animate2), then that will be perfect.
I’ve done this before and found a post somewhere but I can’t remember now how to fix it.

Posted: 08 February 2013 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2012-08-22
bohemian3 - 15 January 2013 09:08 AM

Here’s the Genesis CAT Rig I’ve been working on.  It’s not complete.  I still need to wire up the parameters to the Hand Controller.

2) All the bones are named exactly the same using a Hub structure as best to the Genesis figure I could.  suggestions always welcome.  That means you can save the Weight map from Genesis, then apply it to the CAT Rig skinned Genesis character.  I’ve had no problem with this.  Again, I can’t include the Genesis figure itself here for licensing reasons.  I have started a tutorial on this but can’t finish until the weekend.  I think this is huge not having to do the weight painting…. the one on Genesis is already really pretty good.

steve

Hmm… I managed to copy the weights to the cat right figure and it worked. The deformations are pretty good but still far from the quality of the original daz skeleton (probably because I didn’t line up the bones properly or something).

I’ll keep fiddling with it, thanks again mate.

EDIT: Yeah I’m stupid. The reason is wasn’t working right was I didn’t align the skin data mesh exactly with the main one. Also my genesis skeleton was missing foot bones for some reason so I re-imported. Now I just have to add some more features to the rig and it will be almost fully independant! So cool!    Now on to skin morphs?

Posted: 14 February 2013 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Joined  2011-07-11

@Bohemian -

Did you ever finish up the tutorial for your CAT rig?  I got to experimenting with it but am apparently awful at skinning and applying weight deformation.  I’d love to see the process you’re doing.

Posted: 27 March 2013 02:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  306
Joined  2012-02-27

A great thread, if not a little bit of a shame so much useful information is tied up in so many pages.

I’ll admit I came to the DAZ to 3DS Max conversion by trial and error and much of what is included above would have saved significant time.

The results so far are acceptable although skin deformation results are somewhat variable needing careful posing to avoid the worst of unsightly joints.

There is no doubt the rendering available through Mental Ray is extremely good….......its just a shame it isn’t a bit faster. Perhaps 2014 will bring improvements.

I take the liberty of attaching the following, being a recent cross platform render, which might be of interest.

Image Attachments
Lana_Flat_10.png
 Signature 

John Sims

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/532

Posted: 28 April 2013 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1198
Joined  2007-11-30

Posted: 28 April 2013 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1368
Joined  2010-03-25

great info . to hear.
I have 3DSmax 2012 so I guess i’ll need to download the upgrade smile
thanks for sharing this information

Signature 

My Daz & Poser animations & art work
http://www.youtube.com/user/IvySummers1
My Art on Google
http://plus.google.com/+IvySummers

Posted: 01 May 2013 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-30

Posted: 02 May 2013 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-30

Posted: 04 May 2013 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1368
Joined  2010-03-25
Norse Graphics - 02 May 2013 09:02 AM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/norse_graphics/8702307020/in/photostream

Render in Mental Ray through import into 3DS Max 2013 Design from DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro using FBX. There are some artifacts, and I didn’t use bump-maps (skin set to ‘Standard’). So there’s lot of possible improvements.

nice , why didn’t use the bumb-map. did it give it a shine or make it to glossy?  I know sometimes if you FXB into 3ds from poser you have to manually put in the bumb maps which i don’t know why

Signature 

My Daz & Poser animations & art work
http://www.youtube.com/user/IvySummers1
My Art on Google
http://plus.google.com/+IvySummers

Posted: 07 May 2013 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-30

Posted: 08 May 2013 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2006-01-15

For smoothing you must use a TurboSmooth modifier, or MeshSmooth.

http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/15/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/index.html?url=files/GUID-EA8FF838-B197-4565-9A85-71CE93DA4F68.htm,topicNumber=d30e105172

Posted: 08 May 2013 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-30

5 of 7